Cloudy's Sports Journalismism Thread

Defector also just instituted a 6 month parental leave and unlimited vacation for employees, with them being encouraged to take 4 week vacations when necessary.

On 13/03/2020 at 11:58, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

Deadspin's hired new bloggers. Unsurprisingly, they're all guys that worked under Jim Spanfeller when Spanfeller headed the NY Daily News. It's going about as well as you'd expect. Comments are turned off on Deadspin.

I haven't been purposely back to Deadspin since the walkout.  Clicked a few links in other sites sidebars without realizing they went to Deadspin.

Used to love the site, but no way am I supporting the scabs working there now

Edit:  Also, not sure if I said this before but welcome back Cloudy!  Missed seeing you around here :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

https://defector.com/the-current-version-of-deadspin-cant-even-eat-shit-correctly/

TLDR: last summer Deadspin got a video of one of ESPN’s employees (Rachel Nichols) disparaging a coworker and essentially claiming she only got a hosting gig because she’s Black. They didn’t publish the video, did a minimum amount of leg work, and in their story opted to frame the source as “ESPN Creep”. 

Kevin Draper for The NY Times published a story about this past Sunday, along with two snippets from the video showing what was said. It’s become a bigger story, and now Deadspin is eating shit — because they did a whole one day of reporting on the story before deciding to frame it as “ESPN Creep sends us video” and then defending Nichols. The deal is, the 4 minute clip that Deadspin had, they had Nichols’ audio where she said exactly what she was accused of saying. And they still chose to defend her in their original story. 

The state of journalism is openly on display with what is happening in the NHL right now. Former players are suing a team because they covered up a sexual assault and almost no one is covering it.

On 07/07/2021 at 14:48, CLDY said:

https://defector.com/the-current-version-of-deadspin-cant-even-eat-shit-correctly/

TLDR: last summer Deadspin got a video of one of ESPN’s employees (Rachel Nichols) disparaging a coworker and essentially claiming she only got a hosting gig because she’s Black. They didn’t publish the video, did a minimum amount of leg work, and in their story opted to frame the source as “ESPN Creep”. 

Kevin Draper for The NY Times published a story about this past Sunday, along with two snippets from the video showing what was said. It’s become a bigger story, and now Deadspin is eating shit — because they did a whole one day of reporting on the story before deciding to frame it as “ESPN Creep sends us video” and then defending Nichols. The deal is, the 4 minute clip that Deadspin had, they had Nichols’ audio where she said exactly what she was accused of saying. And they still chose to defend her in their original story. 

If the current Deadspin was around back then, we'd still think Manti Te'o actually had a girlfriend.

I'm a paid subscriber to Defector btw

• 4 months later...

https://defector.com/would-you-like-to-be-defectors-first-ever-editorial-intern/

When is the internship?

Summer 2022! The internship will run 10 weeks, and Defector can work with you to determine which weeks work best with your school’s schedule.

Who is eligible?

Any college student or person at a similar stage in their career who is interested in learning about journalism. You do not have to be in college currently to apply, but anyone working as a professional writer is not eligible for this internship. You do not need to have had a prior journalism internship in the past. 

What do I need to apply?

You need a resume, your three best writing clips, and to answer two short answer questions. 

I don’t have fancy clips, what do I do? What kind of clips do you people want?

Writing clips will not be judged based on the status of publication. Clips will be judged solely on their quality, creativity, and fit for Defector. Send your best three pieces of writing (no longer than 1500 words), whether they are school paper clips or personal blogs.

Where will I work? 

This job can be remote, so you can work from wherever you happen to be. If you prefer a NYC internship experience, you are welcome to work from our office in Brooklyn. Either way, we’d like to host you in New York for a weeklong in-person orientation at the start of the internship.

Is this internship paid or what?

So glad you asked. It sure is. This internship pays $20 per hour for 40 hours a week. That’s $8,000 for 10 weeks.

What is the deadline?

The application deadline is JAN. 7, 2022. We encourage you to apply as early as you can.