Superman Lives

THIR13EN²

well...I just wanted to know what you guys thought of Brian Singer being brought in to do the new Superman movie, and who you all feel should be in the lead role. The new Batman Begins movie is coming out soon, and it seems like it just might be the movie that saves the Batman series, after all the past crappy Batman movies made, not including the first & second which were the best.

I personally feel that Smallville's Tom Wellings would be the best for the role, but only after the Smallville series has run it's five year contract out, I know that wb is pushing for the movie to be released in 06, but I'd personally like to see the Smallville series to moved over onto the big screen, try and sign the current characters, just with the Superman series living on.

The only way it'll work is if they get Welling and Rosenbaum. Think about it, the world has been growing up with the Smallville cast, it would make absolutely no sense to bring in another Clark, another Lex, another Lois......

I think Welling will do it. Being associate with Superman is not the worst thing in the world, and he'll probably get a nice little payout from it. Unfortunately, there is no way the directors of Smallville will get any say in the film because I think Warner Bros and Warner Bros. Films is two completely different divisions. If they were smart, they would've just handed it to Miles and Gough.

Of course Singer can do it. Did you see what he accomplished with the first 2 X-Men movies? If anything he's the perfect guy for the job. Gough and Millar are completely wrong for a Superman movie. They can do the teen romance version with Smallville, and the often soapy Spiderman, but a Superman movie is an entirely different animal, and Singer (and his writing team) has proven very capable in making straightforward comic adapted action movies.

Of course Singer can do it. Did you see what he accomplished with the first 2 X-Men movies? If anything he's the perfect guy for the job. Gough and Millar are completely wrong for a Superman movie. They can do the teen romance version with Smallville, and the often soapy Spiderman, but a Superman movie is an entirely different animal, and Singer (and his writing team) has proven very capable in making straightforward comic adapted action movies.

I'm sure Singer can do a great Superman, but you're talking about a generation that's grown up now for 4 years with Smallville. They're going to be confused as hell when they realize that there's no Chloe, no Lionel, and no Lex-Clark friendship in Metropolis. I'm just saying a Smallville movie will be better for continuity purposes.

Am I looking forward to Superman? Of course I am. Would I rather see Welling and Rosenbaum on the big screen? Yes.

Edited by Jar Jar Beatnik

I'm sure Singer can do a great Superman, but you're talking about a generation that's grown up now for 4 years with Smallville. They're going to be confused as hell when they realize that there's no Chloe, no Lionel, and no Lex-Clark friendship in Metropolis. I'm just saying a Smallville movie will be better for continuity purposes.

Am I looking forward to Superman? Of course I am. Would I rather see Welling and Rosenbaum on the big screen? Yes.

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

I've heard that Tom Welling plays a very small role in the new Batman flick, appearing on the streets bumping into the Christian Bale. The two would then share a few words, and that's it. I think that'd be perfect to set up Wellings as a possible future Superman...

I feel he's made for the role. I always thought that no one would be able to fill Reeve's shoes, because he was the best Superman, the only Superman. I also thought that no one would ever fill Michael Keaton's shoes, and no one ever has, but with the new Batman going back in time to the beginning, telling the story from the start, I think that's the best thing.

I think that if this Superman does get the official green light, that they should wait for the final Smallville episode to air. The show should end with Wellings going off to work for the Daily Planet, or made he puts on the superman suit for the very first time, I'm not sure. Then Singer can take over and continue were the series left off...there isn't much he'd have to retell story wise, because a lot of people would know, or should know were the series is coming from.

Also, if Singer looks at it in a different light, he's already got his cast right in front of him if he looks at Smallville.

While we're going down that road of Smallville cast members in a Superman movie, how do you feel about Erica Durance as Lois? I guess it's too early to tell (after only one episode), but I liked her. After three seasons of such a one dimensional Lana character (through no fault of Kristen Kreuk), it's refreshing to see Lois be the complete anti-Lana.

While we're going down that road of Smallville cast members in a Superman movie, how do you feel about Erica Durance as Lois? I guess it's too early to tell (after only one episode), but I liked her. After three seasons of such a one dimensional Lana character (through no fault of Kristen Kreuk), it's refreshing to see Lois be the complete anti-Lana.

I wish that I got the WB...I hate waiting for the seasons to come out on DVD, if only they came out right post-the previous season like some of these shows do.

Smallville will be completely kick-ass this year with both The Flash and Mr. Mxyzptlk making guest appearnces.

:wub: The Flash. Any idea when the episode is supposed to be?

I got sick of watching the show because of what Beatnik mentioned, it was essentially a teeny romance drama first, then about superman second. I saw the finale for last season and the premiere for this one, and it's starting to look better. On top of that The Flash, who is probably my favorite DC hero.

Ideally, Smallville would make the perfect lead in to the Superman movie, as it would bring in a ton of people that ordinarily wouldn't even pay attention to the movie.

Edited by thuganomic

I would love to see Smallville translate into a movie: Metropolis which would have more focus on Superman than his growing up-- Further I would love to see the the Batman Superman Crossover: Gotham...

but alas... tis only in dreams.

Tom Welling isn't going to be in Batman Begins, the whole rumor was based on a call-sheet for the cast that day, but it was debunked and found out to be a hoax.

Superman > Smallville.

No one will EVER be as good a Superman as Christopher Reeve.

No I never said I want it to stop. I just don't think Tom Welling is a very good Superman AT ALL.

I can't wait for the new Batman movie, and if the Superman movie sounds good, then I'm there.

I just don't think they'll be able to top the originals.