The Music Video Review

ROC

I will use this topic to give my opinion on recent music videos. If you have any suggestions, post them here.

Videos Reviewed

Outkast, "Roses" - 9/10

Beastie Boys, "Ch-Check It Out" 8.5/10

Blink-182, "I Miss You" - 8/10

Jay-Z, "99 Problems" - 8/10

Britney Spears, "Every Time" - 2.5/10

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

Okay, I'll review my first video, the new Britney Spears video "Everytime".

Review: Well, it was destined to happen. Another Britney Spears video is a steaming turd. Her latest video "Every Time" shows that somehow having one of the worst pop singers in the last decade and of the worst actors of this decade throwing stuff can somehow pass as moving to most Brit fans. The video also seems to be another excuse to show Britney's eventual road to Playboy as she practically goes nude. I wasn't surprised about this being bad (I hated "Toxic"'s video) and I also wasn't surprised about the nudity (David LaChappelle, the same guy who directed blink 182's "Feeling This" and Christina Aguilera's "Dirrty", directed the video). The only part I liked about the video was the symbolism (I guess relating to Britney's birth) and that's about it.

Britney Spears, "Every Time"

Rating: 2.5/10

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

The next video is Outkast's "Roses".

Review: After two videos separately, Outkast's third single from their album Speakerboxxx/The Love Below unites the two in a nice take on West Side Story. The video's focus is on a yearbook in where the major plotlines unfold. The style of the video is undeniably cool not to mention backing up a good song. The video even manages humor as Kids In The Hall member Kevin McDonald proves hilarious in the video as well as is the guy that Caroline eventually chooses in the clip. What else can I say? The video is great. It may be the best video Outkast has done.

Outkast, "Roses"

Rating: 9/10

I'll review the Blink video because I've seen that. I'll get to the Smile Empty Soul one but I'll review something I've seen.

Review: Well, Blink has done about everything. They've poked fun at boy bands, thrown away their budget, and have ran around naked for an entire video. Now, they go retro in their new video "I Miss You". The video just proves to have a nice fluidity that even when strange things start to happen (two near identical twins making out, a girl standing on glass, etc.) you still manage to avoid being shocked enough to change the channel. Director Jonas Akerlund adds a lot to the video the same way he added the "speed of light" touch to Madonna's "Ray of Light" and his touch obviously played out better for blink and proves to make the video better than "Feeling This" while keeping blink's slight passion for T&A alive that has been in all their videos.

Blink-182, "I Miss You"

Rating: 8/10

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

Review: The Beastie Boys have been known to make videos that are not only absurd but funny and instant classics. They continue the tradition of those videos with their first single in nearly 6 years, "Ch-Check It Out". The video's absurd hilarity ensues from things like fish-slapping, jousting between two men in Star Trek gear, fighting between a doctor and his patient, and lots more absurd things. The song itself also holds this absurdness with its lyrics. With that, Beastie fans will be very happy watching the video as well as new fans.

Beastie Boys, "Ch-Check It Out"

Rating: 8.5/10

My next review is Jay-Z's "99 Problems".

Review: Jay-Z has had a good rap career and announced his retirement after his latest release The Black Album. As he exits the rap world, he leaves us with "99 Problems". The video is much grittier than his past efforts and thus better than those videos. Director Mark Romanek's style fits well with Jay's vision, as the underworld of Brooklyn seems to unravel as footage is shot at a prison, at a funeral home, and even a scene where Jay is shot. The video's black-and-white style also adds to the video goodness. Every bit of the video is done well and actually looks more realistic than the things Jay has depicted in his past few videos (excluding Encore because it was a concert clip). This is a good way to finish Jay-Z music video career.

Jay-Z, "99 Problems"

Rating: 8/10