The ultimate playlist?

Guest 3115734

Making iPod playlists comprised of ten songs sounds like a fun thing to do, actually. Problem is I don't think any would be appealing once the playlist was done.

That said, my ten for the purposes of this topic would be...

Metallica - The Four Horsemen

Motorhead - Ace of Spades

Megadeth - In My Darkest Hour

Misfits - London Dungeon

Misfits - Dig Up Her Bones (I wouldn't repeat the same band twice, except I almost consider later Misfits to be a different band entirely)

Alice Cooper - I'm Eighteen

Anti-Nowhere League - Burn'em All

Guns N Roses - My Michelle

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

Trivium - Dying In Your Arms

As someone who loves all kinds of music, this obviously leans a bit too far to one side for my usual tastes, but at the same time I hate playlists that don't share some similarity from song to song, and since this is the only thing I can listen to I would want it to encompass as many moods as I could.

Edited by That One Guy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try to do this as if it's 10 songs that I can't change ever again without buying a new IPod....

Surprisingly, if I was stuck with 10 songs I'd tend to go for more "usual" and middle of the road music. Probably cos it would need to be relatively timeless and nowadays I'm a sucker for anything 'beautiful' or classical.

"Glosoli" by Sigur Ros

A beautiful beautiful piece of music with the greatest "build and explode" part of a song in history that takes you to breaking point but never over.

"Brown Boxes" by The Spinto Band

Quirky, incredible bass, a classy rhythm and cool vocals. Kazoos for the win!

"Heartbeats" by Jose Gonzalez

Wow, this guy is a find. Fell in love with the song after seeing it on the Sony ad with all the coloured balls bouncing down the street. Haunting but not overpowering.

"Let Down" by Radiohead

Their best song. Takes you down but brings you back up again higher than you were before. Makes me feel ten feet tall.

"Lookin Lookin Gaa" by Polysics

Ahh an upbeat track! I hate J-Pop but I like electro J-punk-pop. Polysics are this and more. It's fun, makes me smile and sing along loudly. I have more Polysics than any other group on my computer, so I know I'm not emo.

"Apocalypse Please" by Muse

I limited myself to one Muse song - which proved difficult. Muscle Museum is the classic (and the back of my head can be seen in the original video, recorded from tours they played in '99), Micro Cuts has really grown on me over the years, In Your World is an understated gem, Citizen Erased is their EPIC and Falling Away With You is a beautiful track. However, Apocalypse Please is rock-opera-esque in it's grandeur.

"Teardrop" by Massive Attack

Again, limiting myself. Inertia Creeps could have made it, Teardrop reminds me of three things: A back massage, practicing holding my breath as a teenager and the first time I had sex with my wife. Angel is an incredible track, brooding, uncomfortable and menacing but again, beautiful. Ah screw it, Teardrop it is, for nostalgia and meaning and the fact it's musical genius.

"Finished Symphony" by Hybrid

I love classical music, I love electro. Ergo I adore Hybrid.

"AM 180" by Grandaddy

I remember a card I wrote to my wife shortly after we were married. Inside I wrote "We'll defuse bombs, walk marathons, take on whatever, together". Man I'm a hopless romantic. Heard this first in 28 Days Later. Downloaded it, played it repeatedly and the mrs spent her days whistling or humming it. Genius. It's carefree.

"Strange and Beautiful" by Aqualung

Our first dance at our wedding. I chose it for a reason. It's one of the best love songs ever written: "I'll put a spell on you, And when I wake you, I'll be the first thing you see, And you'll realise that you love me."

I didn't include any classical music cos that would have made my ten even more impossible.

I nearly included "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by The Beach Boys which we walked back down the aisle to but hey, can't have EVERY song to do with memories.

Pearl Jam - Given To Fly

Pearl Jam - Wishlist

Pearl Jam - Black

At The Drive-In - Pattern Against User

At The Drive-In - Cosmonaut (Everyone should own this song in some shape or form :D)

The Mars Volta - Drunkship of Lanterns

The Mars Volta - Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of)

RHCP - Saviour

RHCP - All Around The World

The Cure - Lost

Edited by The Second Stage Turbine Blade

Guest Bosstown Boy

I had barely enough space, but this is the "Last Playlist". Aptly named for the fact I have no more memory.

"Schism" - Tool

"Nobody" - Skindred

"Whiskey in a Jar" - Metallica

"Suck My Kiss" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

"Savin' Me" - Nickelback

"Behind Blue Eyes" - Pearl Jam (Acoustic)

"Can't Stop" - Red Hot Chii Peppers

"Eye of the Tiger" - Survivor

"The Final Countdown" - Europe

Oh yeah, workout time.

Edited by Bosstown Boy

Having rapidly expanded/shifted what I'm listening to by miles in the last couple of weeks, a really unprecedented shift in both magnitude and speed for me, here's what my current "most played" list on Musicmatch looks like...

The Knack - "My Sherona"

Metallica - "Whiskey in the Jar"

Metallica - "Ride the Lightning"

AC/DC - "Highway to Hell"

Marilyn Manson - "Disposable Teens"

Pantera - "Walk"

Grinspoon - "SYF, SYN" (if you can't work out the full name, you have no business as a wrestling fan <_< )

Rage Against The Machine - "Guerrilla Radio"

Rage Against The Machine - "Killing in the Name Of"

I blame my new diary. Downloaded half of these songs so I could get the feel of them for writing entrances, they're all so fuckin' catchy I've played little else since.