Bears sign Jeff George

jonnycomelately

Veteran QB George joins Bears 

NFL.com wire reports 

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (Nov. 29, 2004) -- Jeff George signed a one-year deal with the Chicago Bears, returning to the NFL after a three-year absence.

George will be the backup to Chad Hutchinson, who will make his first start in two years against the Minnesota Vikings.

"I'm just excited to be back in it. It's a great opportunity for me and I'm very thankful for them bringing me in," George said after his first practice with his new team. "Whatever role the Bears want me to do, I'm willing to do that. I can't say enough how happy I am and how thankful I am to be out here."

George was the No. 1 pick in the 1990 NFL draft, and has one of the strongest arms in the game. But he's 46-78 as a starter, and has played for six teams, not lasting longer than four years with any one of them.

He developed a reputation as spoiled and petulant, and his problems with coaches have overshadowed his considerable talent. He had a sideline argument with coach June Jones when he was with the Atlanta Falcons in 1996, and the team suspended him and then cut him.

In his next-to-last game with Washington, he and coach Marty Schottenheimer had an animated sideline discussion after George committed four turnovers and was removed from the game.

George hasn't played since 2001, when he was cut after two games with the Redskins. In his last two games with Washington, George had a quarterback rating of 34.6, completing 23 of 42 passes with three interceptions.

George was drafted by Indianapolis and played with the Colts from 1990-93. He was in Atlanta from 1994-96, then spent two seasons with Oakland and one with Minnesota before joining the Redskins in 2000, first as a backup. He was signed by Seattle as insurance midway through the 2002 season, but didn't play.

I know he's better than the QB's Chicago has available at this point in time but seriously there was noone else, this guy ran himself out of the last three places he played whether it being an asshole or just plain stinking up the joint. He stinks but he's leaps and bounds better than Chad Hutchinson or <<<quiver>>> Jonathan Quinn. And Craig Krenzel, just sit out the rest of the year, don't try to come back.

Will Chad Hutchinson start again this Sunday or will Lovie make another QB change and go with Jeff George? It seems they brought him in for a reason and their season is going nowhere so why not play him. That would make 5 QB's starting in one season....UGGHHH.

No, they're staying with hutch. They said from the beginning George was only a back-up, and htere's really no reason to switch.

And the Bears season isn't completely down the shitter. It's unlucky, but if thye win out the rest of the season, they're still in the playoff run. And the only really tough game left is Green Bay, and they beat them earlier in the season without being full strength,