The Big Fight Thread

Timmoru Suzuki

In an interview, Klitchsko nicknamed Williams the 'Iron Jaw'!

Danny Williams saw his bid for the WBC heavyweight title end in a painful eighth-round loss to Vitali Klitschko.

The Briton was out-boxed from the start in Las Vegas, taking a nine-count in the first round, but showed phenomenal heart to fight on.

Williams fell to the canvas three more times and suffered nasty cuts as Klitschko picked him off with the jab.

And the referee wisely stopped the contest after the fourth knockdown, as Williams wobbled gamely to his feet.

The British challenger had weighed in at a record 19st 4lb for the fight and looked ponderous throughout.

I threw so many punches but he has a big heart - he has a lot of respect from me

Vitali Klitschko 

But what he lacked in speed, Williams made up for in bravery as he withstood a series of loaded punches from the 6ft 7in Ukrainian.

Klitschko dispelled any doubts about his pedigree in a weak heavyweight division with a composed and classy display.

Aware that the challenger would try to make his bulk pay early on, he answered the onrushing Williams head-on and sent him spiralling to the canvas.

Williams barely made the count and was subsequently saved by the bell, but he went down again in the third round.

The 31-year-old rallied briefly in the seventh, giving his vocal fans the slenderest of hopes that he might yet stage one of the biggest comebacks in boxing history.

But Klitschko replied with another monster punch and secured the stoppage in the following round.

The thought of the world heavyweight title kept me going, but he was too good

Danny Williams 

Afterwards, the Ukrainian - nicknamed "Iron Fist" - dubbed Williams "Iron Chin" for his resilience.

"It was amazing. I threw so many punches, but he has a big heart," said Klitschko.

"He has a lot of respect from me. I was surprised how strong his chin was and I am very happy and proud to defend my prestigious title for the first time.

"I feel this was the best performance of my career," he added, dedicating victory to democracy in Ukraine.

A despondent Williams paid his respects to the champion.

"He was a lot more awkward than I anticipated and was very clever, coming in and out on angles," he said.

"He didn't hit as hard as Mike Tyson but he was more consistent with his punches.

"The thought of the world heavyweight title kept me going, but he was just too good."

Williams was taken to a local hospital for a precautionary brain scan after the fight, while Klitschko also went to have X-Rays taken of his swollen hands.

Cotto won by KO and so did Hatton. According to fightnews, they are very close to signing the unification bout between Cotto and Hatton for early 2005, the only problems are the location since Hatton and Warren want it in England, while Cotto and Arum want it either, in Puerto Rico(where Cotto won the title by knocking Kelson Pinto) or Las Vegas. New York has also being mentioned.

Did anybody by any chance catch the card for Johnson vs Tarver. I watched it and the fight was lackluster but well fought. What I want to talk about is the debut of Andre Ward, a gold medalist in Athens. He debuted against Christopher Molina, a guy who made his pro debut at 32 and was coming into the fight with a record of 2-0 with one knockout. From the way this guy fought though, the two guys he beat, especially the one guy he knocked out, should have to retire. He landed 4 of 40 punches in two rounds and that was being generous. I think they started counting clenches as punches for him. The last knockdown he got up kind of pissed off and was like "Come on!!" then he grabbed his forehead and just kinda slumped over. It was sad, this guy was a scrub to say the least. Anyways, I just wanted to say that Andre Ward beat a bum to start his career but he beat him bad like he should have.

• 1 month later...

Last night, the Pretty Boy Floyd Era continued in Miami. He beat up Puerto Rican Henry Bruseles for his second win at 140 lbs. An 8th round TKO did the trick as Bruseles never got a good shot in on Mayweather.

Earlier in the card though, a promising new heavyweight was showcased, Nigeria's Samuel Peter. He floored Cuban Yanqui Diaz 6 or 7 times in 6 rounds leading to the ref stopping the fight. Peter lacks Championship discipline at this point in time (he lost two points in the second round for hitting Diaz while he was down [which led to a funny burn directed at co-commentator Roy Jones Jr. whose only loss prior to last year was on a DQ for doing the same thing]). He hits hard with both hands and comes with hooks from different arm angles making it very hard to guard.

Next week Arturo Gatti vs. Jesse James Leija with the winner more than likely to face Mayweather later in the year.

Gatti held his end of the bargain up last night in the attempt to put together a fight between him and Floyd Mayweather Jr. He beat Jesse James Leija in the fifth round and said that a fight between him and Mayweather had already been set up for sometime this summer. Missing from the arena was Floyd Mayweather Jr. He was supposed to be in New Jersey for the Gatti-Leija fight so that promotion for the Gatti-Mayweather fight could begin right away. Mayweather no-showed. The thing was though that Mayweather no showed at a court date earlier that day as well. Gatti said that this could only hurt the chances of this scheduled superfight from occurring.

Coming in February, the 20th title defense of Bernard Hopkins vs. Howard Eastman...should be a good one.

So this has turned into the official boxing topic?

Trinidad vs Wright, May 14th on PPV live from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. I am really looking foward to that fight.

Miguel Cotto will fight former champion DeMarcus Corley or something like that.

Nelson Dieppa retained the WBO Flyweight Title by knocking out former champ Alex "El Nene" Sanchez in a bloody fight this past weekend. I suggest that box fans try to watch that fight, it was bloody as hell and Sanchez got knocked out in the 11th round and spent 15 minutes in the canvas getting medical attention and had to be taken out in a stretcher. Good news is that he is ok.

• 3 months later...

Anybody else noticed Winky killing Trinidad? I was so dissapointed. Trinidad got owned in this fight, Wright used a very smart plan to stop Tito from hitting him and that jab was killer. So now Trinidad retires again...what a pussy? Is he going to retire every time he looses a fight because of his inept corner? I mean, yeah it's his father, but he didnt helped Tito at all. He basically told him to go out there and get killed. I have always said that Trinidad's weak point was his corner and this fight prove it again....that and his overconfidence. Kudos to Winky and I hope he takes out Hopkins.

Also Miguel Cotto knocked out DeMarcus Corley in six rounds several months ago(sorry for not posting about it) and now he is headed for a fight with olympic medalist and undefeated boxer Muhammad Abdullev in what should be a good fight. They met once in the amateur ranks and Abdullev won, so it will be nice to see if the result is the same between this two undefeated boxers.

Those last two "big" fights were big bores. You knew Trinidad had no shot at winning midway through round 2, and well Golota was knocked down THREE times in 51 seconds before they stopped it. Corrales' fight against that Mexican dude a few weeks ago was awesome, but these last two have just been atrocious.

Tua could knock out anybody in the top 10, with ease.And I realised the Tyson thing was stupid when I woke the fuck up about 5 minutes later and realised it, but he's with Jeff Fenech now, there's a chance he could be something.

If Tua didn't become inactive, he would have unififed a couple titles and then probably lost to Chris Byrd.He already KO'd one of the current champs (Ruiz) in 19 seconds, and would put away Vlad and Vitali.

and Coralles fight was one of the best in a fucking LONG time.And my bet is Winky won't beat Hopkins, and Hopkins will be forced to retire due to lack of challengers.I just see it happening.

If you think the heavyweight division's bad now, give it a couple years. There's only one fighter in the top 10 who's under 30 years out, Samuel Peter. While I personally think he's one hell of a fighter, he doesn't have the competition around him to get the credit he deserves. The old guys have to step down at some point and then it's Peter and...well...just Peter. That's when things'll be bad.

Well, it depends... some rankings have Wladimir as high as 5th, while others have ranked him just outside of the top ten around 11th or 12th, so I dunno.

Meh, whatever I'm not really paying much attention to the Heavyweight division right now... I'm too busy praying for Arturo Gatti to upset Mayweather. Most likely Mayweather is going to out box him and out class him enroute to another victory, but here's to hoping that somehow Gatti can pull it off. Hopefully. I'm a huge Gatti fan and I would do cartwheels around the living room if he wins, but Floyd seems to be unbeatable.