Transfer Thread

Summers

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that Harry Redknapp is ready for a bid for his son Jamie Redknapp. IMO Jamie isn't the best midfielder in the world but he isn't that bad of a player and could help Southampton stay alive in the premiership

Redknapp moves for cut-price Biscan

Dominic Fifield and Adrian Milledge

Thursday December 30, 2004

The Guardian

Southampton have opened talks with Liverpool aimed at signing the Croatian midfielder Igor Biscan after the transfer window opens on Saturday.

Biscan, who has played only a bit-part role since joining the Merseysiders in a £5.5m deal from Dinamo Zagreb four years ago, is out of contract in the summer and will be allowed to leave for a nominal fee. However, he may prefer to consider his options on the continent before committing himself to St Mary's.

The Southampton chairman Rupert Lowe held talks with Liverpool officials after his side's 1-0 defeat at Anfield on Tuesday, with a view to making Biscan Harry Redknapp's first signing for the club. The former Portsmouth manager confirmed that he hoped to bring in "three or four more faces" during January, to be funded by the sale of James Beattie to Aston Villa, Everton or Newcastle.

Biscan has not featured for Liverpool since their Carling Cup quarter-final success at Tottenham early this month. The 26-year-old, who can operate in midfield or defence, has made 95 appearances for the club, scoring twice. He could be joined on the south coast by his Anfield team-mate Stéphane Henchoz, who will also be allowed to leave and has attracted interest from Manchester City.

Leeds United have rejected Liverpool's £250,000 bid for their 19-year-old goalkeeper Scott Carson. Chelsea have also expressed an interest in the England Under-21 international, who was the subject of a £400,000 bid from the Championship side Wigan Athletic this month, though Leeds are hoping to raise nearer £1m for the youth-team graduate.

David O'Leary last night played down claims by Redknapp that Villa had made a bid for Beattie in the past few days.

The Villa manager tried to sign the England striker last August - and will attend a Premier League hearing on January 18 after claims that he made an illegal approach for Beattie at the time - but Villa's £6m offer fell short of Southampton's then valuation of £8m.

O'Leary has made signing a striker top of his priority list this time around, although he is denying Redknapp's claim that he had followed up his summer interest with another offer. "I have not been involved in anything so far," the Irishman said. "Whether my chairman Doug Ellis has reopened negotiations or not, I couldn't tell you."

The Premier League has announced that clubs will not be allowed to field players bought in the transfer window until January 5.

Although they can be officially bought and sold from New Year's Day, the registration and administration process means clubs cannot field new acquisitions in the Premiership on January 1 or in the next full programme two days later, Monday January 3.

Southampton and Fulham will be the first teams able to field any newly acquired talent when they meet at St Mary's next Wednesday.

Newcastle United have confirmed the signing of Nigeria international defender Celestine Babayaro from Chelsea for an undisclosed fee.

The former Anderlecht left back will complete his move to St James' Park on Saturday but will not be eligible to make his Magpies debut against Birmingham City or West Brom in the opening two games of the New Year.

As Babayaro, who last started a Premiership game back November against Everton, has not played in Europe for Chelsea he can feature for Newcastle in the Uefa Cup.

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness has been keen to bolster his options at the back with The Magpies commanding the second worst defensive record in England's top-flight.

"Newcastle United confirmed today [Thursday] that, following negotiations with Celestine Babayaro, agreement has been reached that he will join Newcastle United on January 1, 2005," said a club spokesman.

"The player will be transferred from Chelsea for an undisclosed fee. Newcastle United record their thanks to everybody involved at Chelsea for their co-operation and goodwill.

"Under FAPL rules, the player will be eligible for selection from Tuesday, January 4. He also qualifies to appear in the FA Cup and Uefa Cup for Newcastle United this season, the latter being because although nominated as a substitute, he has not taken the field for Chelsea in European competition this season."

Guest Cashmiesta

Albion are linked with, Didane i think it is from Anderlecht, the Argentinian captain, Almeyda, Argentinian national player Juan Kily Gonzalez and good ol' Juhnino from Celtic. It ain't bad really but I can sorta see whats happenin, it happened with Kezman in January, he started talks with Albion and Chelsea snapped him up. They open talks wiv a small club to let the big sharks know that they are available!

Edited by Cashmiesta

So far, Everton have been linked with...

James Beattie

Robbie Keane

Scott Parker

Leighton Baines

Darren Bent

Dan Harding

Dean Ashton

Yakubu

Olivier Bernard

Dimitar Berbatov

And one or two others i can't remember.

We need a striker, a central midfielder, a centre back and either a left or right back. And maybe a goalkeeper, Richard Wright worries me.

Berbatov?

Surely that is the biggest pile of crap rumour ever heard. No offense or anything to Evertonians but I don't think he would join you.

However, Leighton Baines would be a quality signing, he has been very impressive this season.

I don't see why you need a central midfielder, haven't you got Graveson, Carsley, Li Tie and I swear there is someone else.

Newcastle agree deal for Boumsong,

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness has confirmed that the club have reached a deal with Rangers to sign France international Jean-Alain Boumsong.

"Boumsong has an agreement with us and we have an agreement with Glasgow Rangers," said Souness on Friday.

The 25-year-old defender had his medical at St James' Park on Friday, which he passed without incident.

Boumsong will sign a five-and-a-half year deal and is expected to cost Newcastle a fee in the region of £8m.

Souness also confirmed that he had made an enquiry for Manchester City defender Sylvain Distin and had been to watch Marseille's Beye Habib as he looks to further boost his squad.

Boumsong's agent Willie McKay revealed that the agreement was reached on Friday morning.

"That's right. It was agreed this morning," said McKay on Friday. "Everything has been sorted out. "

Boumsong joined Rangers from Auxerre on a free transfer last summer but made just 28 appearances for the club.

Rangers boss Alex McLeish went to watch Newcastle's game against Arsenal at St James' Park on Wednesday but has opted against any player-plus-cash deal.

The Scottish club had earlier rejected two bids for the player, who made just 28 appearances for them.

The earliest Boumsong could make his debut for Newcastle would be 9 January, when Souness' team play Yeading in the FA Cup.

Meanwhile, Newcastle confirmed on Thursday that Chelsea full-back Celestine Babayaro will become Souness' first transfer window signing on New Year's Day.

_39401040_boumsong203.jpg

Jean-Alain Boumsong

source: bbc.co.uk/sport

IMO. That could be the turning point in Newastles season, that is a great signing for them and will be interesting to see how he settles in.

Edited by Gooner4Life

Doug Ellis reckons we've also bid for Beattie, and The Daily Mail reckon he wnats to join us. Personally, I'd rather have Yakubu for the same price.

And yeah, Berbatov is seriously unlikely, but then so was Everton being 4th at New Years Day.

We do have Graveson, Carsely, Li Tie, Cahill and Osman who can play centre midfield, but Carsely is only good when he doesn't have to attack and Graveson blows hot and cold, and if he doesn't sign a contract then we'll need a midfielder desperatly. And as for Li Tie...he works hard, but he isn't creative enough to be an attacking midfielder and isn't strong enough to be a defensive midfielder, so I can't see him getting many games.

Southamton's twatty charmain, wont let Beattie talk to Villa. He's letting him talk to Everton, for the same deal. But, that's it. He said he believed that Everton and Villa had some sort of agreement, so, he decided to fuck Villa over, and not let Beattie talk to us.