Phish breaking up.

Guest Locutus of Borg

Guest Locutus of Borg

Phish breaking up

NEW YORK (AP) -- Phish, the Vermont-based jam band whose legions of dedicated fans made it one of the nation's top touring acts, announced Tuesday that the band was breaking up.

The surprise announcement came as the band prepared to release a new album, "Undermind," on June 15 and embark on a summer tour, which will kick off June 17 at Coney Island in Brooklyn, a borough of New York City.

Band leader Trey Anastasio made announcement on their Web site.

"Last Friday night, I got together with Mike, Page and Fish to talk openly about the strong feelings I've been having that Phish has run its course and that we should end it now while it's still on a high note," he wrote.

The quartet will end the tour in Vermont.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, I can't believe it. One of the greatest jam bands ever is coming to an end. I figure Trey will probably head solo a la Dave Matthews, and maybe to a little touring with DMB. As for the others, it's hard to tell. Wow. Just... wow.

Guest Angry Baboon

:( Bye Bye Grateful Dead II.

I shall spend my evening listening to their live cover of the Beatles white album :( May ye rest in peace wee Phishies.

Ahh Phish... The pride and Joy of Vermont... They were like idols here. The band teacher at the middle school actully toured with Phish a bit. I forgot what album, but he played saxaphone, his name is Dave Grippo btw.

When I was in middle school, Trey actully played in the cafeteria, since he was friends with Mr. Grippo.

Here's somthing for you,

Jared%20eat3-1.jpg

Nectar's is a restuant in Burlington, where Phish got their first gig. I have been there before but not to recently. Everyone knows what Nectar's is because of Phish, and they have that Rotating Neon Sign that's in the picture.

EDIT: Also found out that Mr. Grippo toued with Trey's band as well, Check It out!

Edited by Komodo 3000

Guest Locutus of Borg

Yeah? Well:

Home_11.jpg

Baylor School

hixsonhs.jpg

Hixson High School

^^ Two of Widespread Panic's first gigs. Would've been four but I couldn't find pics of Yesterday's or the Brass Register (currently soon-to-be-closed Vineyard).

Guest bruins72

The big question is, who will all the old Deadheads follow now? An even bigger question is if these people will finally shower now. Enjoying a band is fine but these people that do nothing but follow a band around the country, living out of a van, and not practicing any sort of hygeine is a little extreme. I saw some of these people at a DMB show before and they were friggin' nasty.

Guest Locutus of Borg

All the Deadheads who aren't already following The Dead, Phil Lesh, or Dark Star Orchestra will probably jump on with Widespread Panic. And, no, the hippie lifestyle will never change, they shall never shower.

Meh, can't say I'm too sad to see them go. Boring jam music that can't be enjoyed unless you're under the influence of some kind of narcotic. The jam band scene (especially Trey) totally fucked up Primus. So farewell Phish!

Edited by cthemason

Meh, can't say I'm too sad to see them go. Boring jam music that can't be enjoyed unless you're under the influence of some kind of narcotic. The jam band scene (especially Trey) totally fucked up Primus. So farewell Phish!

Thank you. And yes, it did fuck up Primus.

Claypool still owns all though.

Thank you.  And yes, it did fuck up Primus. 

Claypool still owns all though.

I wouldn't quite say that Primus was fucked up because of Oysterhead, but it's fair to say that Primus isn't on top of their game at the moment. Of course they're not at the same peak they were before, becuase the original lineup wasn't together for years prior to the reunion. So give Primus some time, and they'll be fine.