MLB Offeason Thread

sahyder1

Tons of FAs......where to they all end up?

From the LA Times today; http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...eadlines-sports

(Subscription required)

The Angels plan to cut ties with third baseman Troy Glaus, handing the position to rookie Dallas McPherson and positioning the team for a possible run at center fielder Carlos Beltran, the crown jewel of free agency.

"From a financial standpoint, McPherson fits better than Glaus and we've got other needs," Angel General Manager Bill Stoneman said Friday. "We'll probably make use of our resources in other areas.

The Angels plan to move center fielder Garret Anderson to left and keep former center fielder Darin Erstad at first base, leaving starting pitching and center field as the top two winter priorities.

With the contracts of Glaus and pitchers Troy Percival, Kevin Appier, Ramon Ortiz and Aaron Sele expiring, the Angels could drop $41.5 million from their 2004 payroll, more than enough to join the New York Yankees, Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros as top bidders for Beltran. The Angels also might bid on pitcher Pedro Martinez.

Stoneman does not comment on potential acquisitions. Scott Boras, the agent for Beltran, did not return a call for comment. Boras, whose office is in Orange County, has developed a cordial working relationship with Angel owner Arte Moreno.

Mike Nicotera, the agent for Glaus, also did not return a call. Stoneman said he had spoken with Nicotera and said the decision not to pursue Glaus reflected "more finances" than a concern about injury. Stoneman declined to discuss the asking price of the free agent, who received $9.95 million last season.

"I know how they're expecting to be compensated," Stoneman said. "Rather than use our resources to go after Glaus, we'll go after other needs."

Glaus, 28, the 2002 World Series most valuable player and the only player in club history to hit 40 home runs in a season, underwent shoulder surgery in May. He returned for the final five weeks of the season, appearing strictly as a designated hitter. He said in September he expected his shoulder to be fine next season and intended to play third base, not first base or DH.

McPherson, 24, the Sporting News minor league player of the year, hit .317 with 40 home runs between double-A Arkansas and triple-A Salt Lake. In 16 games with the Angels in September, he hit .225 with three home runs and 17 strikeouts in 40 at-bats.

"If we didn't have McPherson, it might be different," Stoneman said. "We've got a guy ready to break through at the major league level."

McPherson will earn slightly more than the $300,000 major league minimum in each of the next three seasons, assuming he remains on the team. Stoneman said Robb Quinlan, 27, another minimum-wage player who hit .344 in 56 games with the Angels, also would get time at third base.

Stoneman spoke Friday with Paul Cohen, the agent for Percival. On Thursday, as Percival filed for free agency, Cohen said a lack of communication from Stoneman led him to believe the Angels had no interest in retaining the closer.

Cohen said he had "a nice conversation" with Stoneman and expressed modest hope Percival might return to the Angels.

"I wouldn't say the door is closed," Cohen said.

"We're not through having conversations," Stoneman said. "I'll talk about it after we've hashed it out with Paul and Troy."

Stoneman also said he had received inquiries from several clubs interested in acquiring outfielder Jose Guillen, whom the Angels are expected to trade after suspending him for the final week of the season, following a confrontation with Manager Mike Scioscia.

After the Cleveland Indians got fed up with outfielder Milton Bradley last spring, they traded him to the Dodgers for two minor leaguers. Stoneman suggested he could get major league talent for Guillen, who hit .294 with 27 home runs and 104 runs batted in last season.

"I would expect that, if we decide to do something, we'll probably do pretty well," Stoneman said.

The Angels have until Nov. 15 to exercise 2005 options on Ortiz ($5.5 million) and catcher Bengie Molina ($3 million). They can decline either option for a $100,000 buyout and retain either player by offering salary arbitration.

Edited by Underage Politician

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a Jays fan it's hard to look forward to this offseason. Delgado will probably leave, creating a huge void at 1st base and an even bigger one in the Clean Up spot. Apparently Eric Crozier will replace him, shit. The bright side is that Jays will have most of Delgado's $19.5 Mill salary from last year to spend on bullpen help and hopfully a new 3rd basemen. Hinske just isn't cutting the mustard anymore.

Being a Jays fan it's hard to look forward to this offseason. Delgado will probably leave, creating a huge void at 1st base and an even bigger one in the Clean Up spot. Apparently Eric Crozier will replace him, shit. The bright side is that Jays will have most of Delgado's $19.5 Mill salary from last year to spend on bullpen help and hopfully a new 3rd basemen. Hinske just isn't cutting the mustard anymore.

If Delgado does sign back for a discount rate for a 2 year deal....or maybe even 1 plus a mutual option it'd be huge for the Jays. I can see Delgado doing it since he likes Toronto. That lineup would be great when given a chance to go full year. I like McGowan and Bush in the rotation after Halladay and Lilly over the course of the year too. Chacin has shown he's got the stuff to be a successful big league pitcher. Now if they can make things work out in the 'pen. Batista as a full time closer will work. I think this team is very close from making this a 3 team division. They could be huge factors next year based on how they do against the Sox and the Yankees.

Oct. 29 - The New York Mets have had "internal discussions" about acquiring Sosa from the Cubs, reports the Chicago Tribune, although the paper indicates the chances of such a trade occuring is remote. If Sosa is traded, his contract immediately becomes guaranteed at $18 million for 2006 and $19 million in 2007. The paper reports Chicago GM Jim Hendry has been instructed by ownership to move Sosa. A deal with the Mets likely would include outfielder Cliff Floyd.

Sosa and Dusty Baker had a falling out at the end of the season

and whenever Dusty gets angry he moves his players

PLUS,

he left his last game of the year early without permission after he was taken out

apparently his teammates didn't wan't anything to do with him after that

The Mets might just be stupid enough to do that deal if Chicago picks up some (read 50%) of the salary. I think they're looking to move Piazza, and need a big "name" to justify yet another season of nothingness at the end of the day. With the large Hispanic contingent of baseball fans in and around the area, Sosa would likely bring people to the park, although I personally hate his guts.

What if we saw something crazy like a three-way trade between these 3 teams:

Cubs Receive: Magglio Ordonez (via sign-and-trade)

White Sox Receive: Mike Piazza, Cliff Floyd

Mets Receive: Sammy Sosa, $9 Million from Cubs

Piazza is due to be on an AL team anyways because we all saw that he isn't the fielder he used to be, so being a DH would be perfect for him

Edited by Jester of Death

Meh, as an Indians fan, we'll get nothing done this offseason. We need pitching and a good SS, but nobody would want to come to the Indians. I'm hoping we can at least get Guzman or Visquel back, but I doubt it. :(

Theres a guy on a radio station here in Detroit from Cleveland saying 2005 is the Tribes year. And I guess they have a great prospect coming up from Buffalo to take over for Vizquel

Ahh.....prospects.

How I miss those :shifty:

We've got uh-Brandon Clausse-

Oh shoot.....traded for Aaron Boone you say?

Not to worry....there's always the dependable Juan Rivera and Nick John-

Oh, right........Javier Vazquez.

Well, that Navarro looks alright......and hopefully, we'll see Chien-Ming Wang around next season ;)

Edited by thuganomic

Ahh.....prospects.

How I miss those :shifty:

We've got uh-Brandon Clausse-

Oh shoot.....traded for Aaron Boone you say?

Not to worry....there's always the dependable Juan Rivera and Nick John-

Oh, right........Javier Vazquez.

Well, that Navarro looks alright......and hopefully, we'll see Chien-Ming Wang around next season ;)