German referee accused of throwing match

The Third Dukes

BERLIN (AFP) - Robert Hoyzer was a largely unknown second division German referee until Saturday afternoon but in the space of 24 hours he has become the most talked about man in German football.

The German Football Federation (DFB) confirmed Saturday that they are investigating Hozyer, 25, for fixing a cup match that he had apparently bet on.

Berlin-born Hoyzer resigned from his post when the probe came to light.

The match at the centre of the scandal took place on August 21 2004 with SC Paderborn and SV Hamburg contesting a first round cup match.

Hoyzer refereed the tie and regional side Paderborn came from 2-0 down to win 4-2 and eliminate 1983 European Cup victors Hamburg.

Two dubious penalties were awarded to Paderborn who also benefited when Belgian striker Emile Mpenza was sent off for complaining.

"We are waiting to see how the probe develops and will stay in contact with the DFB to see how we should react," explained Hamburg chief Bernd Hoffmann.

"If it is confirmed we want some sort of compensation. Who knows how our season might have gone? We could still be going strong in the cup at this stage."

Klaus Toppmoller was in charge of the match and claimed Hoyzer's corrupt decisions caused his dismissal two months later.

"The referee (Hoyzer) cost me my job as we were doing fine until the Paderborn game," raged Toppmoller in Bild am Sonntag. "After that it all went downhill.

"I knew something was not right and I even told the referee's assistant at the time. But what can you do? If you say there is cheating going on a ban awaits."

The German media has been gripped by the scandal with Bild am Sonntag asking: 'How many other games has Hoyzer doctored?'

So far the focus is on the cup match but DFB press spokesman Harald Stenger confirmed there would be a lenghty investigation.

"We will be speaking with betting services and analysing all the games," stated Stenger.

However, the psychological damage has clearly been done and referees now face being under the spotlight for the remainder of the season.

As soon as a questionable decision is made by the man in the middle it is inevitable that some fans will ask:'Has the referee something to gain by that decision?'

"From now on all referee decisions will be questioned," admitted Oliver Bierhoff, assistant coach of the German national team. "But I am sure this is just a one-off case."

The DFB will hope that is true as further revelations could cast a cloud over German football ahead of the 2006 World Cup on home soil.

It is the biggest scandal in German football since 1971 when match-fixing and bribes engulfed the Bundesliga.

More than 50 players and 12 coaches were found guilty of offering bribes and fixing Bundesliga games prompting the DFB to dish out hefty fines and suspensions.

The DFB will hope the Hoyzer case is isolated and does not dig up other skeletons like in 1971.

Those things happen everywhere, not only in Germany. Some are caught, some aren't. Some are fined, some aren't. Some are banned, some aren't.

I hadn't heard that news until i read this, but even if it's true you make it sound like Germany doesn't deserve to host the cup or something like that, just because of it (maybe you didn't mean it, it was just my idea looking at the topic. If not sorry about that). Anyway, even if it meant german referees were all like that, which is a dumb stereotype anyway, the world cup will have referees from a lot of countries (i don't know the exact number) which have been selected by FIFA for, arguably, being imparcial in previous football events.

btw, it's not that hard to understand what Matzat writes. :P Don't exaggerate it.

Edited by Malenko

Those things happen everywhere, not only in Germany. Some are caught, some aren't. Some are fined, some aren't. Some are banned, some aren't.

I hadn't heard that news until i read this, but even if it's true you make it sound like Germany doesn't deserve to host the cup or something like that, just because of it (maybe you didn't mean it, it was just my idea looking at the topic. If not sorry about that). Anyway, even if it meant german referees were all like that, which is a dumb stereotype anyway, the world cup will have referees from a lot of countries (i don't know the exact number) which have been selected by FIFA for, arguably, being imparcial in previous football events.

btw, it's not that hard to understand what Matzat writes. :P  Don't exaggerate it.

btw, it's not that hard to understand what Matzat writes. :P  Don't exaggerate it.

Didn't mean that all German refs were like this. I just find it somewhat unfortunate that this is in the nation hosting the Cup. I'm well aware that Cup refs are from all over, too.

It's just that US officials have to undergo EXTENSIVE background checks to get hired in the US. If you're caught doing anything funny with your finances -- even just misfiling stuff on your tax account -- you're thrown out of the league. So it strikes me as odd that a referee (1) could have thought he'd get away this, and (2) is only being prosecuted four months later.

Pfff. You think that's bad? Over here, there's been an investigation on corruption for almost a year now. Several men have been arrested and/or indicted, many of them high authorities in clubs or in the league itself. Just today, about 20 referees have been arrested and are being heard in court right now. (That's what I read, anyway). Corruption in football is everywhere, and nobody does anything about it. Sure, some are caught, but most of them are just let loose. Makes me sick.

Pfff. You think that's bad? Over here, there's been an investigation on corruption for almost a year now. Several men have been arrested and/or indicted, many of them high authorities in clubs or in the league itself. Just today, about 20 referees have been arrested and are being heard in court right now. (That's what I read, anyway). Corruption in football is everywhere, and nobody does anything about it. Sure, some are caught, but most of them are just let loose. Makes me sick.