Blues

Guest fultie

Anyone listen to Blues? I just started listening to it because it seems like all my favorute muscians were influence by em.. Led Zeppeln, Beatles, Doors, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix.. i've gave a listen to Elmore James, and I'm about to listen to Robert Johnson.. anyone got any recomendations or favorites?

Guest Bluesman

I'll give you some ideas going off the guys you mentioned...

Freddie King

B.B. King

Albert King

Michael Bloomfield

Jeff Beck

Peter Green

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers

If your into Clapton's earlier blues stuff, definately check out Mayall, as that is where he got his start. Peter Green played with him as well. Bloomfield played on Dylan's Highway 61 Revisted. Clapton picked up a bunch of his style from Freddie and B.B., and played and toured with Freddie up until the mid-70's. He also put out a cd with a group called Blind Faith that you might want to check out. The cd will be hard to miss, considering there is a topless 13 year old girl on it. Albert King had a huge influence on Hendrix, as well as SRV later on.

Son House

Muddy Waters

Skip James

John Lee Hooker

Willie Dixon

Robert Lockwood Jr.

Both Johnson and Elmore owe a huge debt to Son House. If you like those two, I think you'll enjoy Son House, who I actually find to be more raw and passionate than Johnson. If you like Zep you'll have to like Dixon, considering almost their entire blues catalog are Dixon songs, or cheap imitations. Lockwood actually grew up around Johnson, and got his start playing his songs, even to the point of some people believeing him to be Robert Johnson.

I'd also recommend checking out SRV, Joe Bonamassa, Indigenous, Robert Randolph, Johnny Winter, ZZ Top, and The Allman Brothers.

Guest Bluesman

That was actually from the last concert he ever played. Robert Cray and Buddy Guy also were playing there. He wanted to get back to see his woman, so he used the helicopter that Clapton was to use, and died in a crash. If only he could have waited one more day :(

Edited by Bluesman

thanks Bluesman..

Blind Faith is deffinately cool, i've heard some of their stuff through Clapton's "Cream Of Clapton" CDs...

i've always meant to check out John Mayall but i always pushed him aside to check out someone else.. i'll deffinatly give him a listen now

the rest of those guys i'll give a listen to too..

that hurts what you say about Zeppelin's songs being cheap immatations.. i've always known that they were inspired by blues and had blues mixed into rock, but i've never though of them as cheap immatations

and.. what about roy harper?

Guest Bluesman

I probably was a bit harsh about Zep and the Dixon thing, but they really went to great lengths to rip of his (and others) music, which is especially sad considering the history blues has of 'covers'.

Guest Bluesman

Yea, I heard Randolph's version of Voodoo Chile, very good. My dad's b-day is coming up, so I think I'll pick him up some of their cd's...after I give them a listening first :shifty:

I still have yet to hear Clapton's "Me and Mr. Johnson". I hope it's better than 'From the Cradle', I didn't care for that one too much. I really wish he was charging less for his recent concerts, as he's had Doyle Brahmall II and Robert Randolph and the Family Band opening.

I still have yet to hear Clapton's "Me and Mr. Johnson". I hope it's better than 'From the Cradle', I didn't care for that one too much. I really wish he was charging less for his recent concerts, as he's had Doyle Brahmall II and Robert Randolph and the Family Band opening.

It's a very "safe" album, if you will. It's very produced and I know some people don't like that. It's not as emotional as Clapton can be... which is partly I guess because it's not a guitar album. If anything it really showcases Clapton's voice which isn't such a bad thing.

That said I did like the album quite a bit. It's very respectful and got me motivated to finally dig a little deeper and check out some original Johnson stuff.

Sorry that was kinda vague. It uses guitar, but most Clapton albums the guitar is the main focal point if you get me. Alot of solos, complicated riffs etc and the guitar drives the songs. In this the vocals do while the guitar is more in the background than on his other work. In my opinion of course.

Guest Bluesman

Personally I like Clapton's older stuff more than his new stuff, as it is more guitar driven and focused. Later on he started focusing more on his singing. I kind of compare it to what happened with Jonny Lang, only Clapton didn't find God and turn to shit musically.