NHL: New/last proposal today...

Guest Mike Dude

Guest Mike Dude

The fact that I didn't find a NHL related thread on the first page breaks my fucking heart...

NHL presents new proposal

The NHL today formalized a new CBA proposal and presented it to the NHLPA in a continuing effort to create an economic partnership and to return the game to the ice. Read the full proposal, or view highlights of the NHL's new offer, which includes an unprecedented profit-sharing plan. ...

well...it's not really a big surprise not having a nhl related topic on the first page since there's NOTHING nhl related to discuss. All the discussion about NHLPA and NHL proposals was done allready and i believe most of us NHL fans (well, at least i am) are conformed to not watching any NHL this year.

Nevertheless, i admit i would be VERY happy if we still had the chance of watching some this year. Even if it was only a third of the season.

Guest Mike Dude

Union rejects latest league proposal

TSN.ca Staff

2/2/2005

Wednesday's talks between the NHL and NHLPA have ended in Newark, New Jersey with the NHLPA rejecting the league's latest proposal. 

The two sides will meet again on Thursday with Bob Goodenow and Gary Bettman present, as both leaders were not part of Wednesday's meeting. 

The proposal included a revised salary arbitration system, a maintenance of guaranteed player contracts and an individual team payroll range between $32-million and $42-million, which is tied to league revenues so those numbers could fluctuate.  It would run through the 2010-2011 season, though the Players' Association would hold the unilateral right to re-open the agreement after 2008-2009.

Related Info 

The complete NHL proposal of Feb. 2, 2005

The meeting only included NHL executive vice-president and chief legal officer Bill Daly, league outside counsel Bob Batterman, NHL Players' Association senior director Ted Saskin and the union's outside counsel John McCambridge.

"The League today presented a written proposal with minor variations of concepts that were presented orally by the NHL last Thursday", Saskin said in a statement released after the meeting.  "We told the League last week and again today that their multi-layered salary cap proposals were not the basis for an agreement."

"The proposal features the establishment of a profit-sharing plan in which the Players and Clubs would share fairly in the health and profitability of the industry -- an undertaking unprecedented in the history of major professional sports in North America," the NHL stated in a news release.  The proposed profit-sharing would be a 50/50 split when league profits exceeded a negotiated threshold.

The much-discussed issue of linkage would be reflected in the salary range between $32-million and $42-million per team, with the limits then being adjusted from year to year in order to reflect league revenues.  Changes in entry level contracts, arbitration and free agency are all part of the new proposal as well.  A joint accounting and auditing procedure would be set up to severely punish clubs that fail to disclose financial information.

The two sides had not met since last Thursday night in New York, when the union came away unimpressed by the league's latest ideas for a new agreement.

The season, meanwhile, continues to slip away. Through Wednesday, 762 of the season's 1,230 regular-season games had been scrapped.

like you said, don't get your hopes up for anything involving the 2 sides. I read on a local Indy ring announcers blog the perfect solution for the lockout, and I quote.

I think I have the solution to the NHL labor dispute. Let me know what you think of this. We take Gary Bettman and Bob Goodenow, and we muder them horrificly. Then we get a paintbrush and paint the new CBA (including a hard cap) on the wall of the hockey hall of fame in those 2 idiot fucks blood.

I know I'm not saying anything new here, but the NHL really needed this strike. The players were making far too much money, and the league overexpanded for a sport that isn't considered a big deal in the country it's largely based in. As someone who was a casual fan until the playoffs I can't say I'm really missing the league, but I also don't want to see it go away for another year/permanently.

It needs more American attention, but I don't see where it's going to get it from.

As for the strike, I agree that the players were making far too much money compared with how much the league was making, and I think a cap is the only way to go.

And why is Bettman still allowed to be commissioner?

Eh, according to the percentage listings, Michigan DID have the highest "Yes" percentage.

Seriously, both sides need new leaders. Goodenow and Bettman are both stubborn jackasses that won't back down, regardless of how long it takes.

When the stoppage ends, however, NHL hockey should get a nice boost from fans flocking back to see games. Temporary "Hey, they're back" boost, but a boost nonetheless.

Poll any city in Canada and it will be almost %80 yes. ESPN is part of the problem of why most Americans don't care. Even when hockey is being played Sportscentre dosen't show highlights or talk about it till almost the end of the show. If they started to talk about it first, it would get more people interested in it. Not all the players were getting over paid. Majority were getting paid 1.3 mil or less. Its about 20 - 30 players that make 6 mil or more. They are the ones holding this up. Another reason is that the players don't get to vote on it. Goodenow decides.