Jason Lee Does TV!

Ananas

EARL (NBC) - Jason Lee ("Almost Famous") has been cast in the lead role of the comedy pilot, about a low-rent crook who, after winning the lottery, decides to use his limited yet oddly effective intelligence to right the wrongs he has made in his life. 20th Century Fox Television is behind the project, which comes from creator Greg Garcia ("Yes, Dear"). Lee's involvement lifts the cast-contingent component on the pilot's production.

Guest Ringmaster

Hopefully the show is actually good, as opposed to the sitcoms we see nowadays. Yes, Dear is just not funny, and if it's the same sort of stuff, then I really feel bad for Lee. The guy can do it all, just look at how he stole every scene he was in, in Magnolia.

I never watched Degrassi, as I'm not into the whole "she slept with a girl then got pregnant then had an abortion but killed someone too" kind of plot lines, but I caught it for Smith, and he was also gold. The line he said about Creed was brilliant.

I thought it was funny that he gave his little Silent Bob-esque speech towards the end. As for Earl, Jason has pretty good taste in picking projects. While Garcia may have done "Yes, Dear", it was for a network that at the time was pretty much exclusively marketed to older demographics, so you can understand the constraints.

EDIT: It should also be mentioned that Garcia was a producer on Family Guy.

Edited by Jar Jar Beatnik

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

EARL (NBC) - Ethan Suplee ("Without a Paddle"), Nadine Velazquez ("Entourage") and Eddie Steeples ("Torque") have all been cast in the Jason Lee-led comedy pilot, about a low-rent crook who, after winning the lottery, decides to use his limited yet oddly effective intelligence to right the wrongs he has made in his life. Suplee will play Earl's brother, Randy, while Velazquez is set as hotel maid Tatiana with Steeples as Earl's friend Darnell. Jaime Pressly also stars as Earl's ex-wife. In addition, Marc Buckland ("Cracking Up") has come aboard to direct and executive produce the pilot, which comes from 20th Century Fox Television and creator Greg Garcia.

Guest Ringmaster

I'm stil skeptical. There hasn't been a good comedy show on TV since Scrubs came out (although some would say AD as well). This has great actors and all, but the story seems weird to me. I'm hoping I'm wrong though, I just don't have optimism for sitcoms any more.

This is actually one of two sit-com projects I think have promise. The other is called "Nobody's Watching", and is being developed by Bill Lawrence, Garrett Donovan and Neil Goldman, Lawrence being the Scrubs showrunner and Donovan and Goldman being the Emmy nominated writers behind most of Scrubs' best episodes.