FA Cup 6th Round Draw

fineintent

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love for Newcastle to win it. However, Arsenal are still in it so I obviously would prefer us to win it.

It'll be Newcastle, Arsenal, Man Utd and Leicester in the semi's I reckon. I'm expecting a Newcastle/Arsenal final for some reason.

I've just been outside Brentford's ground since 6:45am, but got my tickets for the Southampton game. I'd love for Brentford to somehow get through Southampton...and United...then to get Arsenal - just to see my loyalties split really :s

I'd feel a bit gutted if Shearer retired with the small haul he's got a moment (which to my knowledge is only the Premiership with Blackburn). But then it's been clear how much he's loved just playing for Newcastle - so I wouldn't be too upset if one of my teams (I'd say it's more likely to be Arsenal but you never know) won the cup.

Guest LilJoeyPez

What's this about Arsenal winning it? Arsenal cannot win it, because Sheffield United will beat them tonight! And Sheffield United will win the FA Cup!

Almunia did well in saving them too, that should be added. I'm not sure why the first save wasn't allowed, the following 2 saves were no different in terms of where he started and ended up. As far as shot-stopping goes Almunia isn't a bad goalkeeper, it's generally crosses where he starts to flap.

I was at Brentford - Southampton again, and again for long periods of the game Brentford were really giving it a go and had Southampton on the rocks more than once. It's a shame they couldn't hold the early lead, a lot of people will say they scored 'too early', I don't really go along with that idea.

Shame, would've been nice to see Man Utd travel down to my neck of the woods. Southampton are poor though, particularly in defence, anybody with a bit of pace and prepared to rough them up will score every time.

I've come to the conclusion that this "he's not aloud to come off his line" rule is ridulous. While I can understand what they're trying to do by the rule, it's totally screwed. They should allow one foot to cross the line at least because otherwise it's really stupid IMO.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Its one of those things that just happens, the reason why its so annoying is because its always retaken after its been saved (since it obviously doesn't make sense to retake a scored penalty if the keeper is at fault). The referees were firm to the rules which I suppose you have to agree is fair, but much worse examples of a keeper coming of his line happen week in and week out without punishment.

Not sure why the referee and the linesman stood on either side of the goal posts though (they really shouldn't randomly change procedure). But I suppose if they want to crack down on it, they need to start somewhere.

As far as coming off the line goes, it wasn't really that bad, he came off but not by enough to make any difference, I suppose the 2 other saves hit that fact home. At the end of the day its not worth complaining about, we won, so it doesn't matter.

EDIT: The best example is the CL final between Milan and Juventus, Dida nearly picks up the ball before its even kicked.

Edited by muddatrucker

• 2 weeks later...

A bit quiet here at the moment, but there is cup football going on this weekend!

Yesterdays Results:

Bolton 0 - 1 Arsenal

Southampton 0 - 4 Manchester Utd

And of course today it's the big one - as Gary Lineker so rightly put it. Just got a call from my mate and the M1 is apparently full of cars with Leicester flags hanging from the windows. Going to be a good game.

Prediction: Blackburn 1 - 3 Leicester

Let's get some discussion going about the biggest game in this round of the cup. Leicester could win seeing as Savage and Dickov are looking doubtful for Rovers but as long as we give a good account for ourselves I will be happy.

• Admin

Prediction: Blackburn 1 - 3 Leicester

Let's get some discussion going about the biggest game in this round of the cup. Leicester could win seeing as Savage and Dickov are looking doubtful for Rovers but as long as we give a good account for ourselves I will be happy.

Bwahahahahah. You reckon your boys, without a win in ages, can score three times away from home against one of the most in-form defences of the moment? :P

I'm not expecting a classic game, but the Rovers will have a bit too much about them for Leicester - I'm expecting Pedersen to do some damage today.

Prediction: 2-0 Rovers, Stead & Pedersen score.

Edited by Rabid Wolverine

Yeah, I'm expecting the Rovers to take the win here. Although I'm in half a mind not to watch the game as everytime I watch them they fucking lose.

I'm thinking 1-0, Savage coming off the bench in the second half to get the winner.

From the bbc.co.uk website

_40911613_black_lei_150_gif.gif

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes remains hopeful that four players will shake off injuries.

Robbie Savage (groin), Dominic Matteo (thigh), Brett Emerton (calf) and Paul Dickov (bruised thigh) are the quartet carrying knocks.

Leicester's Dion Dublin faces a late fitness test on a hamstring injury.

Danny Tiatto has recovered from a hamstring niggle of his own and Stefan Moore should play after signing on loan from Aston Villa.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackburn (from): Friedel, Neill, Todd, Nelsen, Johansson, Thompson, Reid, Mokoena, Flitcroft, Pedersen, Dickov, Enckelman, Stead, Gallagher, Tugay, Short, Savage, Emerton, Matteo, Johnson.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KEY MATCH STATS

BLACKBURN ROVERS face Leicester City - the only club from outside the Premiership still surviving in this season's FA Cup - for a place in the semi-finals. It's four years since both clubs last made an appearance in the quarter-finals. Rovers, then in the Nationwide Division One, fell to eventual beaten finalists Arsenal 3-0 at Highbury on 10 March 2001, while the Foxes, then a Premiership club were eliminated by giant-killers Wycombe - from the Second Division - 1-2 at Filbert Street thanks to Ceefax find Roy Essandoh's stoppage-time winner.

The Lancashire club have appeared in exactly double as many semi-finals as their Coca-Cola Championship opponents (16 to eight). Manager Mark Hughes, who picked up a winner's medal as a player on four occasions, is hoping to steer his side to the silverware for the seventh time in their history, and first for 77 years. Rovers have not made the semi-finals since 1960, when they also reached Wembley, but lost 3-0 to Wolves in the final.

Victory would see the red rose county club reach the semi-finals without facing Premiership opposition. They needed replays to dispose of both their previous opponents from the Championship - Cardiff and Burnley - and all three preceding rounds took a home victory to progress, including the one against League One Colchester in Round Four. Rovers have not lost in a month - winning three and drawing one of their four outings over that period.

LEICESTER CITY could eliminate Premiership opposition in successive rounds, following the dismissal of Charlton 1-2 at the Valley in the fifth round when headers from Nikos Dabiazas and Dion Dublin (in the last minute), saw off Alan Curbishley's charges.

Opposite to Blackburn, Leicester have won all their three previous rounds the hard way - away from home. They've qualified for the last eight for only the second time in 23 years, and have reached the last four once in 31 years. They last fell at the penultimate hurdle on 3 April 1982 when Tottenham defeated them 2-0 at Villa Park - Garth Crooks scored and Ian Wilson put through his own goal.

The Cup triumph over Charlton is Leicester's only victory in seven League and Cup outings. They've been drawn with Blackburn for the third time in the FA Cup, and go to Ewood Park with an unbeaten record against them in the world's oldest knock out competition, but have not won at the ground since a 2-4 victory in the Premiership on 11 May 1997. They last met in the top flight last season, and both games were home wins. Leicester lie 24 places below their Lancashire opponents on the League ladder. They could become the second successive side from the second tier to make the final at the Millennium Stadium in the wake of Millwall last season. The four-times losing finalists are dreaming of taking over the mantle from West Ham as the first club from outside the top flight in a quarter of a century to win the trophy.

Edited by Natural Born Thrilla