MVP Baseball 2004 vs MLB Baseball 2005

grind your soul

Based on my wants/needs, which game do you recommend?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Based on my wants/needs, which game do you recommend?

• MLB 2005
    • MVP 2004
    • Other [state below]

I think the topic title says it all.

I'm more into the team management then anything else, which you should keep in mind when recommending one or the other.

Gameplay is, of course, a big part of what I want, too [although having the game being incredibly difficult for only a part-time baseball fan to play would suck].

Soo..

which has the better Dynasty Mode, and is the loser's mode good, too?

which has better gameplay, and how good is the other's gameplay?

How much would you pay for either game?

Any help is muchos appreciated. B)

Is the Dynasty Mode anything like NHL 2004?

ie:

- are you able to view injuries throughout the league, as well as the length of time the player is expected to be out?

- is there a file that tracks the trades/waiver claims/releasings/free agent signings that have gone on throughout the league during the year?

- is the AAA/AA/A leagues decent and playable, and is the interaction between the three + the majors decent?

All of the stuff like this was NOT in NHL 2004's Dynasty Mode, which was incredibly disappointing.

I've heard good stuff about this one, but I need to figure out if it's worth $60CDN.

- are you able to view injuries throughout the league, as well as the length of time the player is expected to be out?

- is there a file that tracks the trades/waiver claims/releasings/free agent signings that have gone on throughout the league during the year?

- is the AAA/AA/A leagues decent and playable, and is the interaction between the three + the majors decent?

1. Yes, they even send you e-mails from around the league when notable players get injured.

2. I don't know about keeping track of everything throughout the year, but they do tell you everything that goes on when it happens.

3. Yes, decent and very playable. Some of the AA pitchers are a bit poor though. You can call up/send down anyone you want during the season.

1. Yes. And they send you an e-mail

2. Yes. You can find all of this stuff under "League News"

3. YES! You can play as the AA/AAA, but unfortunatly, there is no A. You can call up/send down a player any time you want, and at the end of the current month, you get an e-mail sent to you about your AA and AAA team's best pitcher and hitter.

MVP 2004 is an awesome game, and it's worth the money.

Edited by Ol' Spanktooth

The only problem I find with MVP's dynasty mode is that it wipes stats at the start of every year. It doesn't keep career stats for players, I don't believe.

Yeah, that kindof bothered me at first, but there is so much that EA did right so it's all good. I can't tell ya which one is better since I haven't played MLB2005, but I hated baseball before I played MVP 2004.

Guest Muthafawkkinmatt

MVP is the best game and it does keep career stats. When you check on a players info you keep pressing R1 after a while you will get to career stats. Its right after Season Stats.

Only thing that bothered me about MVP Baseball is the lefty glitch, Basically any hitter who hits left gets way too much power and anyone who hits from the right hits with way less power. For Example:

about 30 games into my Dynasty, Vernon Wells already had 38 home runs, Carlos Delgado had 3.

There has been a patch to fix it for the PC but patches can't be done on consoles

Edited by Corizzle

Hmmm..

Now I'm seriously in a bind.

Check these prices:

MVP Baseball 2004 - $59

MLB 2005 - $29

So MLB is muchos cheaper, but clearly not the better game.

I am a fucking cheapskate. Hell, last night the guy at the pizza store called me a "cheapo" because I NEGOTIATED THE PRICE OF A SLICE OF PIZZA because I felt that paying $2.50 was too much.

Quite the situation, but I think MVP is going to win.

MVP is awesome. The lefty glitch is fun if you want it rigged. 40 Games into the Season as the Yankees:

Gary Sheffield-71 Home Runs

Derek Jeter-64 Home Runs

Me-37 Home Runs

Sheffield is on pace for 287 Home Runs and 421 RBIs

MVP is awesome. The lefty glitch is fun if you want it rigged. 40 Games into the Season as the Yankees:

Gary Sheffield-71 Home Runs

Derek Jeter-64 Home Runs

Me-37 Home Runs

Sheffield is on pace for 287 Home Runs and 421 RBIs

Stuff like that is what I mean, the 1 glitch ruined any fun in the game for me. It was fun for about a week with the glitch then you realize how dumb and unrealistic it makes the game. Al though I would say everything else in the game is fairly well done.

Guest The Rish '89

I have not played MLB Baseball 2005, but frankly I don't know how a game could be better then MVP Baseball 2004. I played through a whole season in dynasty mode and didn't notice this "left-handed" glitch, so maybe they did update the PS2 versions.

Guest apeschris0

EA Sports makes games like NBA Live and Madden NFL one year ahead (ex.2005 made in 2004) but they never made Triple Play Baseball and MVP Baseball like that.There is no MVP 2005 yet.

Anyways, I have MLB 2005 and highly recomend it.

Guest homerjfry

Instead of complaining about the lefty glitch and your righties hitting 200 homers, why don't you do something like upping the difficulty and messing with the gameplay sliders to make it more realistic? Doesn't seem right to blame the game for you hitting so many homers especially when playing on MVP with the approriate sliders you will NOT be hitting that many.

That being said, righties do have a ton of power as in hitting a mistake pitches go over about 500 feet. But I upped it to MVP and hitting homers is not that easy anymore, and you can always mess with the pitch speed slider to make it more realistic. The game is great. Get it.

EDIT: The glitch makes hitting with lefties much more fun. I enjoy it because it makes you hit much more like a MLB player, looking for a mistake inside, and just pulling the ball out of the park. It isn't impossible to hit homers with lefties, it is much more difficult and a lot of fun too.

Edited by homerjfry

Guest The Man They Call Puke

I cant comment on MLB 2005, but i love MVP 2004. The Lefty glitch doesnt exist on my game, through half a season, ive hit more homers with lefties than righties, so its no bother for me. The lefty glitch is unbelievably overrated.

Im doing a dynasty where I play every game and one where I sim most of it. The one where Sheffield is on pace for 300 Home Runs is one where I want to see how much I can hit. The other is more realistic.

Lefty glitch is a gift and a curse

That is true, it is fun at some times. But sometimes it's kind of annoying.