Recommend me an RPG

Timmoru Suzuki

Then timmayy, I reccommend you look for some hack-n-slash games too, they're quite fun, best with multiplayer though. Stuff like Champions of Norrath: Realms of EverQuest and Champions: Return To Arms.

EverQuest is a MMORPG, correct? Not that that's much better then a H&S...

The reason I refuse to compromise is because a game cannot retain one element (in this case, two: setting and levelling) and call itself the best of a genre. Imagine, if you will, that you bought EA's MLB 2005. You expect a great baseball game. You open the box and find that someone has mistakenly included NBA 2005. When trying to take it back, the salesperson says that it is not the wrong game.

"Look! You can still trade people! And there are still people in the stands... and season mode! STFU! It's the right game."

One or two elements of commonality do not a genre make. Gameplay genres are based on... surprise... gameplay, and when the gameplay has been oversimplified, dumbed down, and basically ruined, it cannot be clased with it's superior counterparts because "the setting and levelling is the same!" It's a BS arguement that companies use by saying that it's an RPG because you can level. That doesn't really work for me.

MMORPGs are a different story. Comparing those to standard RPGs is like comparing apples to orangutangs. They are not even in the same textbooks, forget on the same page. RPGs generally come with a (debateably) emersive story, in which the player is the focal point of society or planet altering developments. MMORPGs, by their very nature, can not focus on one player, and so often throw in a cookie cutter plot and allow players to make their own. That's fine if you enjoy the gameplay... but if you buy one and find out you don't, there isn't really a redeeming quality to make it worth your money.

Thank you all for your recommendations.

Firstly, cheers Cade, I did look into hack and slash games, but im on a budget here. However, I'm going to trade some old games in next week, and might get one of those games to try them out (I'm basically buying an RPG now, trading some other time). Thanks.

Thanks Sean for the link to the blog. I can get Fallout for a really cheap £5 ($8-9), or Fallout, Fallout2 and Tactics for £16.99 ($30-33).

Because I'm a tight bastard, I'm just getting the first, but I am definitely getting it.

As for the others, its a toss up between the pack containing Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and Invicticus (sp), or Neverwinter Nights. May as well get three games for only a pound or two more than one, so I'll get the pack of three.

I just hope that a) I have time to play them all

and

B) My PC has lots of hard-drive space left

Thanks again to everyone who suggested a game!

Edited by timmayy

I'd get the three pack too. While I hold derison for Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate was a legit RPG of the year and I haven't heard anything bad about it, so roll with it.

And it's up to you if you want the Fallout three pack. If you want... there was a Demo for Fallout One. If I have it, still, and you're interested, I could send it your way. That would give you a chance to play the system and get a feel for the graphics and the story (albeit in a limited form). There is also a Fallout Tactics demo... two, actually, one single player and one multiplayer, and if I had those, I could send them over too. I figure it would be pointless to buy the three pack when you already own Fallout 1... unless you wanted to repay the reccomendation by shipping it over to me, as mine was stolen? :w00t:

Anyway, good luck with everything.

I ordered the three pack with Baldurs Gate et al, and Fallout 1.

Thanks a lot for the offer of the demo's, and if I decide to buy the Fallout Pack, I may be persuaded to send you Fallout 1.

But we'll see how much I like Fallout before I go getting your hopes up!

For the love of god choose Xenogears, or Xenosaga. The GREATEST RPG of all time is Xenogears, with the greatest story, and best systems. It's PSOne. Just download it on a emulator/rom too!

Oh, computer RPG I wouldn't reccomend it, most Computer RPGs suck....

For the love of god choose Xenogears, or Xenosaga. The GREATEST RPG of all time is Xenogears, with the greatest story, and best systems (1). It's PSOne. Just download it on a emulator/rom too!  (2)

Oh, computer RPG I wouldn't reccomend it, most Computer RPGs suck.... (3)

Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Nevermwinter Nights, and all the expansions for all of them, are actually a series. You can import out of BG2 into NWN, and that's pretty fucking cool.

Icewind Dales may not be considered an RPG, but it's pretty much the same as BG, though admittedly there's a lot more focus on fighting in it.