I just saw The Ring 2

Christmas Killer

We watched The Ring in class today, I sort of got confused because I didn't watch it all but I sort of got the jist of it towards the end. I don't intend on watching the second one because I don't really watch many films so can someone tell me if the little boy dies or not?

I liked the opening sequence of Ring 2, simply because it ties in the website... apparently there are now many tapes circulating where the "thrill" is to see if you can withstand 6 of the 7 days, then pawn off the tape to another person who MUST watch it before the 7th day hits, essentially saving you and now putting the burden on them.

However, after the initial opening, nothing else was said of this growing "cult-like" group. In fact, it was dissappointing that the tape itself served almost no purpose during the movie.

Now that Samara has tracked down Aiden, all she seems to need is a TV or water to get to him.

I did like the addition of Samara's "real" mom and her version of what Samara might be, but leaving it so vague, it clearly screams for another sequel.

Lots of hype, with a little pay-off, but the Ring (American) is still better, and Ringu is still just a slight step above the Ring. I think Ring 2 is worth a look if you like the first one.

I saw this the other day and was actually very dissapointed.

I thought the first Ring was really well done as sort of a slow-burn, psychologically scary thing, whereas I feel this one relied a bit more on the shock scares.

I liked the style of the first one a lot more as well. I know it's just a little thing, but the way that everything in it had a blue filter put over it really added to the atmosphere of the movie as a whole.

One thing I have to say, though, is that nothing beats Watts' kick-ass action movie one-liner right at the end there. As funny as it was to laugh at, I seriously don't think it fit the movie at all.

Also, my alternate line of "Hey, Samara, I hope this day finds you WELL!" would have been just that much more fantastic, I'd say.

Overall, I'd give this movie a definite meh/10. It wasn't a terrible movie by any means, and I actually had a good time watching it, but I wouldn't really say it is a "must" for anyone, unless they absolutely loved the first Ring, and just want a movie with more of the story around that, as this movie did have quite a bit of that.

The Japanese Ring and Ring 2 are on English TV next week.

Can't remember the channels, days and times but I saw they were there when I quickly checked through the films that are on next week.

Western audiences of today are brought up with scare and shock tactics, big jumps, gore and violence.

The original Ring had about 30 times more atmosphere that the UN remake. Japanese films are slow burners, building character and atmosphere without resorting to cheap scares.

If anyone has seen Audition they'll know what I mean.

SPOILER:

An hour and a half of "divorcee's son tells divorcee he needs to meet a new woman, divorcee sets up a fake Audition to find attractive woman, divorcee falls in love with one of the girls, divorcee promises her that she'll be the only important thing in his life, woman starts to appear to be a little freaky, divorcee finds out stuff about woman...

And then in the last ten minutes....

WOMAN INVADES HIS HOME, INJECTS HIM TO PARALYSE HIM, TORTURES HIM WITH ACUPUNCTURE NEEDLES IN HIS CHEST AND EYES WHILE TEASINGLY GIBBERING LIKE A GERBIL, PROMISES HIM THAT SHE'LL CUT HIS TONGUE OUT, CUTS THROUGH ONE OF HIS ANKLES WITH PIANO WIRE AND HALF CUTS THROUGH THE OTHER BEFORE THE SON COMES HOME TO COME TO THE RESCUE.

One and a half hours of set up and brooding is realised in ten minutes of frankly disturbing yet very human horror, with the twist of him suddenly thinking its a dream then realising shockingly it isn't. It plays with your head in the same way that Ring does.

The Ring doesn't.

In fact the only good part of The Ring is when the woman has lifted the top off the well and you think it's all good, then you realise through the son that Samara is actually totally evil. That made my heckles stand on end.

Guest Muthafawkkinmatt

The Ring 2 was just a bad bad movie. I actually want my 15 dollars back for going to see it. I could of went to see Ice Princess.. atleast there would of been hot chicks in it.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

The Japanese Ring and Ring 2 are on English TV next week.

Can't remember the channels, days and times but I saw they were there when I quickly checked through the films that are on next week.

Western audiences of today are brought up with scare and shock tactics, big jumps, gore and violence.

The original Ring had about 30 times more atmosphere that the UN remake. Japanese films are slow burners, building character and atmosphere without resorting to cheap scares.

If anyone has seen Audition they'll know what I mean.

SPOILER:

An hour and a half of "divorcee's son tells divorcee he needs to meet a new woman, divorcee sets up a fake Audition to find attractive woman, divorcee falls in love with one of the girls, divorcee promises her that she'll be the only important thing in his life, woman starts to appear to be a little freaky, divorcee finds out stuff about woman...

And then in the last ten minutes....

WOMAN INVADES HIS HOME, INJECTS HIM TO PARALYSE HIM, TORTURES HIM WITH ACUPUNCTURE NEEDLES IN HIS CHEST AND EYES WHILE TEASINGLY GIBBERING LIKE A GERBIL, PROMISES HIM THAT SHE'LL CUT HIS TONGUE OUT, CUTS THROUGH ONE OF HIS ANKLES WITH PIANO WIRE AND HALF CUTS THROUGH THE OTHER BEFORE THE SON COMES HOME TO COME TO THE RESCUE.

One and a half hours of set up and brooding is realised in ten minutes of frankly disturbing yet very human horror, with the twist of him suddenly thinking its a dream then realising shockingly it isn't. It plays with your head in the same way that Ring does.

The Ring doesn't.

In fact the only good part of The Ring is when the woman has lifted the top off the well and you think it's all good, then you realise through the son that Samara is actually totally evil. That made my heckles stand on end.