Cheapest PS2's?

Liam

When I move into my house for the 2nd year of uni, I'd have had my job for a little while, and a nice lump sum of a loan, and thought I'd get myself a PS2.

Now, obviously it doesn't really matter for the time being, as I'm not looking at purchasing yet, but in your experiences, which places do the best/cheapest deals?

I'm not too bothered whether they are new or used to be honest.

While I can't give out decent prices for you Unamericans (:shifty:), I can give you fair warning in saying that you should stay away from the first models of the Playstation 2 at all costs, as it was horribly bad. It would fall apart at the slightest usage, although some managed to stand the test of time.

If you can, check the model number. If it's 30001R or greater, you should be alright.

If it's 70001...mug them.

While I can't give out decent prices for you Unamericans (:shifty:), I can give you fair warning in saying that you should stay away from the first models of the Playstation 2 at all costs, as it was horribly bad. It would fall apart at the slightest usage, although some managed to stand the test of time.

If you can, check the model number. If it's 30001R or greater, you should be alright.

If it's 70001...mug them.

Well, I was planning on getting one of the newer/smaller models (so means I'll probably end up buying new), so that shouldn't be a problem.

Kudos for the warning though.

Guest Bluesman

I'd be leary of getting a used PS2. We finally broke down and bought a new one (slim line) as everything I saw online about fixing the lasor would have been temporary. My only complaint is that I know the PS2 is going to get stepped on, the thing is too damn small.

Guest Mr McFarlane

Everyone's PS2 dies but mine! Wheeeeee!

Sure it can't read my memory card bootup disk about 75% of the time...but then again, the disk appears to have lost a battle with a belt sander, so it's all good.

From the rumors I've heard, the next Xbox is coming out at the end of this year. Not sure how interested you are in that, but if you are, you could always grab a used PS2 somewhere cheap (eBay, perhaps?)

Private Ess Two I died this year. :'(

I knew the end was nigh for mine when it stopped reading one of my Family Guy DVDs (the one with "Damnit, Janet", no less.) A trade and a wee bit of cash -- as well as some rule-bending from my homies at EB -- got me a slim PSTwo days before the launch.

From the rumors I've heard, the next Xbox is coming out at the end of this year. Not sure how interested you are in that, but if you are, you could always grab a used PS2 somewhere cheap (eBay, perhaps?)

That's a tentative date at best concerning the XBox. As for EBay, I wouldn't be surprised if PSTwo prices either went sky high or dirt cheap since the PSP is on the horizon.