Foreign Football Thread

Well we've surely got the title now. Milan only managed a 2-2 draw today with Lecce while we managed to win 2-0 against Parma, thanks to a Del Piero goal and a goal from the returning Zlatan. So we're five points clear with two games left, just a win would basically do it, and our last two games are looking pretty damn easy. So damn happy too, I think we deserve it overall for how hard we've worked this seasons. We've been poor at times but we still managed them sloppy results when needed.

In the bigger news though, I watched possibly the worst Rome derby of all time today. The Lazio/Roma game was downright terrible, when usually, well always, it is one of the most exciting games in football. Today it was just terrible, pure awful. Neither team cared what so ever and there was about one chance at the most throughout the entire game. There was no passion, no fight, no care just nothing. I think Roma missed Totti big time because he just flares the team on a bit. When the final whistle went the entire arena booed both teams because of how terrible it was. Was expected to be one heck of a game but ending 0-0 was just terrible. Also Sampdoria and Udinese drew 1-1, lovely fight for the fourth spot right there, which hopefully Sampdoria get.

What is good though is how great Serie A has been this year. Towards the end it's been super because you've got small teams who are nearly going down and they're actually fighting the big teams like Juve and Milan. I mean in most leagues you'd see a small team get slaughtered by top teams, but in Serie A the small teams have just been fighting so damn hard, if that makes any sense. Even though they're nearly going down, they're still bringing out performances that are sometimes world class.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milan haven't been in good form ever since their PSV game, have they? It's like 2 draws and a loss, yeah? Looks like Milan have quite a task ahead of them in Istanbul.

And in La Liga, Barcelona has just won it after drawing 1-1 with Levante and Madrid drew 2-2 with Sevilla.

Yeah Milan are suffering alot lately. Paul Elliot was quite right too yesterday when he mentioned Milan's back line being quit poor as of late. It's pretty true too. The only thing is that now Milan have all but lost Serie A, they're surely going to be pissed and go all out for that CL final. Milan are coming off of some poor results though so it could spur them on or just continue to lead to bad things for them.

And then it was all over just like that :D

We are finally champions of Italy again without even having to do anything today, as Milan only managed a 3-3 draw. They were 3-1 up at one point and had a really young team out there, well in many places anyway. No Dida, Shev, Gattuso, Pirlo, Kaka, Seedorf, Cafu and so on. Palermo got a really lucky penalty for 3-2 though which changed the game, super third goal for them though. What I can say though is even with a young side Milan were still looking sharp, still lacking a bit it seems though.

Celebrations all around here though. We really needed the title this season and I think I want to give a tonne of thanks to Del Piero. Many critiscised him over and over, yet he's helped us so much this season and I've got no doubt he'll stay with us instead of leaving now.

Playing Livorno on Sunday, cant wait to see how we get on :)

Milan knew the league was lost. All they cared since last week was to win the Champions League. Milan has a very good youth system who often produces great players. It's actually better than anyother in Italy and that's the reason why they'll be always near the top even when they're top stars fail.

Juventus deserved to win the league this season, and actually should have won it earlier. Anything can happen in the Livorno game now that Juventus has nothing to play for. They'll probably play it in a celebration mood, and may end up making mistakes that Livorno players may use to score, but the Livorno's defense is so unreliable that Juve could score easily even without full focus on the game.

The Italian League was a lot better this season than the previous, and the only letdown to me was Inter. I hate how they still managed to end in a very good position despite the fact that many teams who ended below them were playing better.

I reckon it was more the fact he was never given an actual chance.

He said himself that the only reason he didn’t succeed in England was because Ferguson only had eyes for Van Nistelrooy.

Giving a striker like Forlan the last quarter of an hour of a game expecting him to perform magic every time was never going to work. Can’t really blame the manager really, when one of you’re strikers is performing brilliantly then what’s the point of dropping him? Unfortunately for Diego he never caught a break.

Well the final day of Serie A was today and I thought it was one heck of a day.

Anyone who can catch GOL! or something like that on Eurosport in the week, do try to. Some super games with tonnes of goals. We finished of the season with an awesome 4-2 win too. They scored two goals thanks to Zola, who was probably playing his last game, one great goal from him though I must say. Found it to be such a great day though. Nedved is finally back and there's no question about it. He looked downright super today and roamed around the pitch like he did back in 2002/2003 etc etc. It's brilliant to see too, because he looked so great and was putting in super balls all day.

Zlatan just had a super end to his season too, thought he played some amazing stuff. Trezerguet scored two as well and I'm confident he'll stay with us, or so I now hope. Del Piero proved the critics wrong again as well with another amazing performance, he looked so great on the ball. He's getting on I know, but he seriously looked as good as he did in the 90's, today. The team was just brilliant all around. It was pretty much a free roaming game though and both teams played really fair football and showed great respect towards each other, great end to the season...AND...Mutu made his first appearance for us when he came on in the second half. Didn't see much of him, but when he was on the ball he looked quite sharp and confident, so I cant wait till next season. Overall we just looked amazing today like we were actually the best team in Italy, which we obviously now are. Us lifting the trophy was a great sight too, couldn't be much more happy for Del to be the main man lifting it too. Oh yeah also, anyone who can get to watch this look out for the amazing Appiah goal. He dribbles through two players and then curls it with power into the top corner, a really brilliant goal and it honestly makes me wonder whether Capello will try to keep the guy. It's interesting because Trez and Appiah are both linked to teams and yet they performed great today, maybe they're doing everything they can to stay with the club. Hope we keep Steven though, I think he's a great player. One problem is, we have to sell people if we want to buy, but then again I don't think we need to buy.

In other news, Fiortentina JUST avoided the drop but only due to the mini league rule. You see say a team in the drop zone has 43 points and the team out of it has 43 too, they have to go into a mini league. The mini league is basically a small league with both teams in, and it shows the games they played against each other, and whoever got the most points out of the teams basically stay up. Well that's if its three or more teams, which it was, yes this is complicating. Anyway, Fiorentina had the best results and stayed up, while Parma/Bologna now have to play each other in a two leg playoff to see who stays up, should be great. Fiortentina were really good today though and beat Brescia 3-0, which sent Brescia into Serie B. Miccoli and Maresca had a really good game, heck the whole team did and I'm glad they stayed up.

Milan only drew with Udinese, but that was enough to send Udinese into the CL next season, meaning Sampdoria (Who drew 0-0) only go into the Uefa Cup. The Lazio game also finished 3-3, so a lot of high scoring games today. They also went over who were there personal best players of the year. Most said Zlatan for striker, which I agree with, while the fans voted for Shev. Gilardino got the vote from the studio people too, which I yet again agree with as he's been really brilliant this season and is certain to be a huge star over the next few years. Buffon, Zambrotta, Cannavaro all made it in too with a few other guys. They also had goal of the season. Disagreed with one or two of them, but overall they were all great goals. Collina also officiated his last game today from what they said.

Overall, a brilliant finish to the season. The studio people tried saying Inter will be the ones to watch next season, which I disagree with again. They said that last season too. Either way, we're look amazing and I cant wait for next season when we can hopefully get even better and do our best to get European glory.

Guest Red Devil

As most people know I'm one of Diego Forlan's biggest fans (Where my username came from) and I couldn't be happier for him. As a Man Utd fan I was one of the select few who supported him throughout the drought that most people (some being fellow Man Utd fans burnied him for) and now he's come good. Only if he could produce that sort of form in the Premiership. He did show some flashes of magic with us but with Ruud it was really hard for him to get a break.

With Villareal he's fired them to 3rd in the League and into the Champions League. If he was eligible for the UEFA cup this year they might have done much better but as the top scorer in La Liga and from what I've read he's won the Golden Shoe (Top goalscorer in Europe) he's turned his career around for the better and proved the doubter wrong. Out scoring Eto'o, Ronaldo, Owen, Raul, etc. ain't no small feat and I'm delighted he's done it. Hopefully he can do it again next year!

• 5 weeks later...

I reckon it was more the fact he was never given an actual chance.

He said himself that the only reason he didn’t succeed in England was because Ferguson only had eyes for Van Nistelrooy.

Giving a striker like Forlan the last quarter of an hour of a game expecting him to perform magic every time was never going to work. Can’t really blame the manager really, when one of you’re strikers is performing brilliantly then what’s the point of dropping him? Unfortunately for Diego he never caught a break.

Guest ZizouFWF

Diego Forlan is a good player, from living in Espana and England the football is quicker in the England League so maybe La Liga suits him more. He played well for Villareal this year and scored many goals which is why he won the Golden Boot Award. He is one of reasons they in Champion League

Edited by ZizouFWF

Diego Forlan is a good player, from living in Espana and England the football is quicker in the England League so maybe La Liga suits him more. He played well for Villareal this year and scored many goals which is why he won the Golden Boot Award. He is one of  reasons they in Champion League

I'd go as far to say he is the reason they are in the Champions League.

Diego Forlan is a good player, from living in Espana and England the football is quicker in the England League so maybe La Liga suits him more. He played well for Villareal this year and scored many goals which is why he won the Golden Boot Award. He is one of  reasons they in Champion League

I'd go as far to say he is the reason they are in the Champions League.