Members of a band who...

Guest George

Guest George

From other forums, I have learned that Blink 182 and Korn fans are hard to convince when you tell them that their musicians aren't actually good tecnical musicians, but I won't debate. I mean, Mark's best bassline is Carousel and Fieldy's is I believe Alive, both of which are amazingly simple to play.

But I guess they are famous and a bunch of kids who haven't hit puberty are buying their albums, so that means they are a gift from god to our ears.

:rolleyes:

Another mention:

Guns N' Roses 2nd guitarist.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From other forums, I have learned that Blink 182 and Korn fans are hard to convince when you tell them that their musicians aren't actually good tecnical musicians, but I won't debate. I mean, Mark's best bassline is Carousel and Fieldy's is I believe Alive, both of which are amazingly simple to play.

But I guess they are famous and a bunch of kids who haven't hit puberty are buying their albums, so that means they are a gift from god to our ears.

:rolleyes:

Another mention:

Guns N' Roses 2nd guitarist.

Well, I dislike Blink 182 , but I just think that to insinuate there is no talent there at all, and also to put yourself over subsequently seems a bit..off....

Well, dear, I guess what it all comes down to is the fact that they make music that people enjoy, whilst nobody gives a flying fuck about you or what you can play, y'dig?

Guest Bluesman

Well, dear, I guess what it all comes down to is the fact that they make music that people enjoy, whilst nobody gives a flying fuck about you or what you can play, y'dig?

Anyway, it counts from both sides. Tom Delonge found his guitar, Mark Hopps found the bass, they said "Hey, we don't know how to play shit, LET's START A BAND"

No-one debated that Travis is better, but when George's posts are just belittling either the band for no reason (they aren't the greatest band, but still...), bigging himself up in relation to a multi million selling band (....don't see any of our other musicians saying anything as arrogant as that) or belittling the fans that may like or purchase thier music, then rightfully, people will get annoyed with it.

Also, the fact that none of his posts actually say "Travis is better, Mark and Tom are weak links" (from reading back, he actually makes no mention of Travis, unless I'm much mistaken) but are just saying that Tom and Mark have no talent, means you are just making excuses for him (whether you mean to or not), considering he never made the point you are arguing.

Guest Bluesman

Actually he does single them out, saying "Blink 182's string instruments.".

What I find interesting is that everyone keeps hammering him on Blink, when he was actually HARDER on Nickelback (he did, after all, say they were worse). GoGo comments on him messing up the name and it snowballs from there. So to say 'well he's being harsher than needed' is bullshit, considering that his comments on Nickelback garnered NO such criticism.

What he said isn't arrogant. Anyone who has actually played Blink (and I have) knows it's nothing arrogant to say that you can play music that is "harder". If needed I would have provided similar comments in relation to my musical ability and theirs, as I picked up Blink's guitar while my friend couldn't pick up Travis' drums (we had both recently started playing).

Some of the replies I've seen are horrible...'well they're famous and you're not' is some crap I'd expect from a 13 year old who spends their afternoon watching TRL. Ashlee Simpson is famous and sells lots of records, she must be really good then, right?

Actually he does single them out, saying "Blink 182's string instruments.".

What I find interesting is that everyone keeps hammering him on Blink, when he was actually HARDER on Nickelback (he did, after all, say they were worse). GoGo comments on him messing up the name and it snowballs from there. So to say 'well he's being harsher than needed' is bullshit, considering that his comments on Nickelback garnered NO such criticism.

What he said isn't arrogant. Anyone who has actually played Blink (and I have) knows it's nothing arrogant to say that you can play music that is "harder". If needed I would have provided similar comments in relation to my musical ability and theirs, as I picked up Blink's guitar while my friend couldn't pick up Travis' drums (we had both recently started playing). 

Some of the replies I've seen are horrible...'well they're famous and you're not' is some crap I'd expect from a 13 year old who spends their afternoon watching TRL.  Ashlee Simpson is famous and sells lots of records, she must be really good then, right?

I agree with some of what you said, but taking swipes at the type of people who like a certain music as a whole is stupid I think.

I also think that there are many people on here that can play stuff better than Blink stuff, but they didn't say it, he did. I also think that just because they play something in thier band, doesn't mean they can't play something better. They enjoy a certain playing style and style of music that doesn't need solos or clever riffing.

And I don't agree with the "famous and you're not" comment, as you are right. But then again, I think it is always easy to say you can do better than someone, but the fact is, you haven't.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Guest George

Some of the replies I've seen are horrible...'well they're famous and you're not' is some crap I'd expect from a 13 year old who spends their afternoon watching TRL. Ashlee Simpson is famous and sells lots of records, she must be really good then, right?

You stole the words out of my mouth.

but when George's posts are just belittling either the band for no reason

See the topic thread? We're fucking discussing this!, to belittle band members who aren't as good as their comembers.

bigging himself up in relation to a multi million selling band

Selling does not equal talent, get that right, because if that's how it worked, Green day would never be near the Top #10, while Dream Theater would be selling #1's.

(....don't see any of our other musicians saying anything as arrogant as that)

Don't see any musicians at all actually (except Bluesman), so that point is null

or belittling the fans that may like or purchase thier music, then rightfully, people will get annoyed with it.

You tried (tried is the keyword) to belittle me. Then why wouldn't I take a shot?

Once again, I was trying to explain how easy it is to play. Anybody who picks up a guitar right now for the first time, by next week, he could easily be playing a Blink 182 complete album. That's how easy it was, and as Bluesman said, the drummer is another thing.

Travis is a great drummer, Tom and Mark are worse than average, see the point? I don't give a fuck about money or who has more fans, ANYBODY can play like them, and they are not anything special.

And Bluesman, I may check out that Izzy's single work. He always looked like a member that GnR could lose and wouldn't be that harmed.

I can't be arsed to split your quotes all up, and can't really be bothered to react to all of them. All I'm going to say is frankly, I don't mind you, but I know that a lot think you come across as arrogant. Fair enough, you dislike Blink 182 and Korn, and stuff like that, but just the way you come across in saying it doesn't rub people the right way.

Secondly, on a board this big, I'm sure there are loads more musicians than just Bluesman. I know just off the top of my head that fineintent is in a band, and I'd put money on there being more.

Lastly, I never tried to say that selling millions makes someone a good band, just that they obviously do something right, irrelevant of talent, to sell millions. Dream Theater > Green Day and Blink 182 put together, but I can see why someone would want to listen to the latter 2. The way you say things, it makes it sound like just because the guitars are simple, you can't like a band.

I agree with George on like every point he's made. Just for fun once I tried to learn as many Blink-182 songs I could in a day to prove how easy they were to play...

2 days later I believe I could convincingly play about 5 of their songs on a stand-up string bass no less.

Ragging on someone because they don't play complicated music is kinda stupid. Who's to say that they CAN'T? They just choose not to, because they've sold all of their albums and made all of their fans playing crappy three-chord garbage.

And Travis Barker is far from a great drummer. He's decent, and can bust out the moves far better than some other guys, but by no means is he more than "okay" or even "good". He's far too repetitive and his fills are far too standard to be considered more than that.

I agree with whoever said Ryan from Mudvayne was good. Matt is also good, but again, not great. He's better than Travis Barker, though. I'd actually put Chad as the weakest member of that group. His voice has deteriorated a lot since the LD50 days, and his lyrics are terrible now, whereas before they were at least slightly thought provoking in certain places. Now they're just standard, run-of-the-mill crap.

That's all I can think of now.

Ragging on someone because they don't play complicated music is kinda stupid. Who's to say that they CAN'T? They just choose not to, because they've sold all of their albums and made all of their fans playing crappy three-chord garbage.

And Travis Barker is far from a great drummer. He's decent, and can bust out the moves far better than some other guys, but by no means is he more than "okay" or even "good". He's far too repetitive and his fills are far too standard to be considered more than that.

Guest George

I agree with whoever said Ryan from Mudvayne was good. Matt is also good, but again, not great. He's better than Travis Barker, though. I'd actually put Chad as the weakest member of that group. His voice has deteriorated a lot since the LD50 days, and his lyrics are terrible now, whereas before they were at least slightly thought provoking in certain places. Now they're just standard, run-of-the-mill crap.