Hitchhiker's Guide

Your Mom

I've heard quite the opposite to what you're worried about, really, more people I know who haven't read the books have enjoyed than those who have. I suggest you go see the film, then pick up the "trilogy" afterwards.

Guest Locutus of Borg

I've heard quite the opposite to what you're worried about, really, more people I know who haven't read the books have enjoyed than those who have.

I've never read any of the books, and I managed to follow it and like the movie just fine. Like mentioned, I've mostly heard that people having major issues with the film are those who have read the books, due to stuff that was changed and what-have-you.

After seeing it and thinking the movie was pretty good, I'm actually considering looking into picking up the books as soon as I'm finished up with what I'm reading now.

I've heard quite the opposite to what you're worried about, really, more people I know who haven't read the books have enjoyed than those who have.

I've heard that there are some gaping flaws between the books and movie which is causing all the dislike between people who have read the books.

Well that's to be expected, you can't cram 5 (long) books into an under 2 hour film, it's not possible. That and the fact that most of the humour of "Hitch-hiker's" comes from the descriptions, which works in the book, and to an extent in the narration on radio, but is lost in film. Theoretically they could have given it the LOTR treatment, but I doubt it would have been profitable to release extended versions or whatever because, especially outside the UK, it's a fairly cult phenomenon.

Guest Majick

The film only deals with the first book - but even that has been changed somewhat.

Really, the film can stand alone, but has also been left open-ended enough to allow for a sequel.

I'd say that a non-reader can enjoy it as well as a non-serious fan, but hardcore fans might not like it so much.

Saying that, hardcore fans might remember that the books, TV and radio versions all had a lot of differences from one another...

There have been a few different versions of the Guide, and as Douglas Adams himself said, they were all completely different :P

Plus, it's not the sort of film that's supposed to make sense. It has the continuity of a WWE storyline. It was written like that. That's where a lot of the humour is :P

So in short, if you don't "get it" from watching the film, don't worry :P Most people don't get the books either :P

Eh, I didn't think the film was THAT great to begin with. I'm looking forward to Kung-Fu Hustle more now.

And Reily, I didn't think anyone could ever truthfully over-use a smiley in one post, but you have proven me wrong.

Edited by EndOfAnEra

What I mainly disliked about the film was that the majority of the added subplots (kidnapping etc) were largely redundant. You're just sitting there thinking "now really, what is the point in this?".

Still a good film, but the books (and to a slightly lesser extent, the radio series) are supreme.

What I mainly disliked about the film was that the majority of the added subplots (kidnapping etc) were largely redundant. You're just sitting there thinking "now really, what is the point in this?".

Just like the rest of the film, and the books? There's no real point in any of it :shifty:

At least most of it has a purpose in relation to the rest of the story. All you got from the kidnapping/rescue was a nervous apology in front of a shower, in order to kick off the most half-assed romance subplot to ever have existed. <_<

I love the books and I thought the movie was good. The opening musical number was the best way to start the movie in my opinion and really enjoyed that. Otherwise the movie can stand-alone. The bad thing is that if you have read the books as much as I have then you are sitting there waiting for your favorite bits and when they don't happen you kind of feel dissapointed. Still a funny movie though.

Eh, I didn't think the film was THAT great to begin with. I'm looking forward to Kung-Fu Hustle more now.

Kung Fu Hustle was spectacular! I loved it! :) Oh and thanks guys I think I'll give this one a chance unless something cooler comes out before I head to the movies again.

I saw hitchhiker's with a friend who hadn't read the books, he loved it. I loved the movie too. I was afraid, as some said, that a lot of the humor from the narration in the book wouldn't make it through, however, the animations from the guide make up for it, especially the one with the Cow. Here's hoping they make a sequel, if only to show the Restaurant at the End of The Universe.

And on a side note, I liked Kung-Fu Hustle much more than Shaolin Soccer, not that I'd want to dissuade anyone from seeing it. Maybe it was because Kung-Fu Hustle was much more violent....

Generally, people who haven't seen it will enjoy it I think, having seen it last night, but as a LONGTIME follower of the series in basically every format (I first read the books in the car on the way to the south of France when I was 8, I think) I really liked it.

As somebody said, all of the versions have been very different, because they change to fit their medium. This is a very 'movie'-feeling installment of the Guide, but then it's a movie so what do you expect? The radio series was very much done for radio, the books were re-written to make more sense in prose, and the TV version was overhauled almost entirely to make sense for TV.

I'm happy that Simon Jones was in the new film, because fuck Martin Freeman - Simon Jones IS Arthur Dent. I love him so.

I prefer the new Marvin, unlike some people who hate him. They say that he isn't done "how Douglas wanted him" but then Douglas never described Marvin in the radio/books beyond his voice, and in the TV series he was too clunky and a typically BBC-in-the-1980s piece. He looks wicked in the new version. Plus, Rickman = god, with the voice.

RK!

I thought it was quite boring, and though some parts were amusing, it wasn't very good on the whole.

I've read just the first book.

Had I never read the books, a few things may have passed over my head, as some of the characters recited their names or purposes in muffled tones, making it harder to hear.

The actors were cast well and the acting is good, but the movie itself isn't great.

This is going to sound very racist, and I appologise, but it sucks that they cast a black guy as Ford Prefect.

I guess it's just because of the original TV series, and the picture I had in my head from the books, but Prefect didn't "feel" black.

And EVERY Ford Prefect-like-character is ALWAYS a black guy (Midnight in Constantine, Morpheus in The Matrix...I can't think of any more Ford Prefect-ike guys :shifty:).

It also sucks that he was a fucking American. No offence, but Ford just ISN'T AMERICAN. Damnit. He's from Betelgeuse. :shifty: But of course, all aliens have American accents, don't they. In EVERY SINGLE FILM EVER MADE. Even ones that have lived in England for fifteen years. Grrr.

Ok, rant over.