Help me make a techno/dance CD

EndOfAnEra

Obviously when I was generalising the dance genre, I wasn't expecting EVERY song to have the girl vocal bit :P

but honestly, it all sounds the same to me, I've heard one or two Aphex Twin tracks (I couldn't tell you the names of them), and there's no real distinction...

My opinions, least from what I know.

- Heavy looping 2-5 second deal with the whiny female. Usually plays to drunken idiots and/or top 40 sheep. I got one song in this category on my computer, I'll listen to it yeah. Only cause a (former) friend of mine played it constantly and it's stuck in my damn head. Pretty much everything else sounds similar to this one particular song.

- Covers of other songs, mostly the 80s. Plays to idiots from above. Most of this SUCKS, especially to the originals. And for the record, Neil Diamond never should be covered in the crap-dance way. Find the disastrous remake of Sweet Caroline and three drunk girls from suburban New Jersey for more information...

- Good stuff. Not sure what it's like, since my dance-loving former friend doesn't listen to good shit. Someone clue me in.

- That stuff which doesn't have the words. More original, beats are better. Can't complain here, from the little I've heard of this.

- Covers of other songs, mostly the 80s.  Plays to idiots from above.  Most of this SUCKS, especially to the originals.  And for the record, Neil Diamond never should be covered in the crap-dance way.  Find the disastrous remake of Sweet Caroline and three drunk girls from suburban New Jersey for more information...

- Covers of other songs, mostly the 80s.  Plays to idiots from above.  Most of this SUCKS, especially to the originals.  And for the record, Neil Diamond never should be covered in the crap-dance way.  Find the disastrous remake of Sweet Caroline and three drunk girls from suburban New Jersey for more information...

God (I couldn't agree more. Ever hear the cover of the 60's song San Francisco? It's fucking TERRIBLE. If you took out the chorus it would be good, but now it's just doing the song a huge injustice.

No, I never heard it. And from what you say, I'm thankful I haven't.

Guest Weaf

You can't compare proper dance music to the shitty commercial stuff. Crap like DJ Sammy and Flip N' Fill is aimed at kids. I can gurantee that you'd never hear anything like that in a proper club, it's just shitty bar music with WKD drinking clients. If anyone wants decent shit then I'd recommend...

Jeff Mills

UMEK

2 many DJ's (Soulwax)

Mr Scruff

Chemical Brothers

Underworld

Orbital

Jazzy Jeff

There's many more but I can't be arsed listing them all. It pisses me off when people make assumptions from nothing. It's like someone listening to Limp Bizkit then calling all guitar bands shite...or someone hearing MC Hammer and calling all hip-hop worthless.

Oh god, elitist dance music fans, run for the hills!

2 many DJs are shite. There's some prick on my corridor who plays them virtually nonstop. The Chemicla Brothers are horrible but for one or two songs. Underworld and Orbital and just horrible. Not heard the others, but judging by your taste, I don't want to.

Chemical Brothers - Under The Influence

Orbital - The Box

Aphex Twin - Come To Daddy

Aphex Twin - Windowlicker

Autechre - Xylin Room

Bjork - All Neon Like

Bjokr - Pluto

Bjork - Five Years

Bjork - Hunter

Add N To (X) - Take Me To Your Leader

Dave Clarke remix of "Hand To Phone" by Adult.

Underworld - Bruce Lee

Underworld - Rez

The Faint - Casual Sex

The Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up

Kid 606 - My Kitten Went To London

The Prodigy - Firestarter

Peaches - AA XXX

Mirwais - Junkies Prayer

Ladytron - Blue Jeans v.2

Also check out Kraftwerk. They're the daddies of all of it.

I'm a big fan of what is called "Intelligent Dance Music" or IDM.

Basically it's electronic music that isn't really for dancing to. It can be much more "avant garde" than your chart dancey music (like Oakenfold, Prydz and the whole Ibiza situation).

IDM is reaching a crossover with rock where you're getting the whole ElectroRock stuff (like Bravery, Polysics, Faint).

IDM links to techno via artists such as Aphex Twin and Autechre.

To electroclash via Peaches and Miss Kitten.

To popular by Chemical Brothers and Underworld.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Guest Booker T & The MG's

And Booker T - I've seen DJ Rush, Jeff Mills and Dave Clarke live.

Dave Clarke's set at Atomic Jam in Birmingham had me on the biggest musical high I've ever had.