Anime n00b

Dr. Rated-R

I've always liked anime, at least from the outside looking in, but I've never really looked into it all that much. I mean, I was a huge Dragonball fan (well, not so much now that GT's come around... I detest it), I watch Inu Yasha on Adult Swim religiously, and of course I've looked at my fair share of hentai. Nah, not really. :shifty:

But yeah, when I read anime-related threads on this board by Stokerino or Norris Scott, for the sake of example, and... I have no fucking clue what they're talking about. I want to get into some anime ASAP.

My request of you all is this. Tell me some good anime that's on basic cable, and when I could view it. Also, suggest where I should start as far as buying DVDs and such. And some suggestions of those bad-ass little right-to-left mangas, too. I've got plenty of money to waste right now, so yeah.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feh. An anime thread I can do fuck all to help with, not being an American.

Oh cruel fate, how you do mock me.

At least, that's in terms of TV stations. I'll take a while to compile some DVD lists and such (I really should save these for the next time a thread like this comes along :shifty:)

ANIME SERIES ON DVD (I'll stop at 10):

Cowboy Bebop

Trigun

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Fullmetal Alchemist

Azumanga Daioh

Excel Saga

FLCL (Fooly Cooly)

Ranma 1/2

Fruits Basket

Love Hina

Full Metal Panic!

MANGAS:

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle

Most of the above...(esp. Azumanga Daioh, Ranma 1/2, Love Hina, Fruits Basket)

Ranma 1/2 is made by the same woman who made Inu Yasha, so since you like that it might be a good place for you to start.

Can I be bothered to make descriptions of them all...? No, not right now...it's 3:40am.

Edited by stokeriño

Eh, I have no idea what your area is showing, nor do I really know good DVDs to watch, becuase I...*ahem* obtain anime. As for mangas, I suppose that's easier to find, but I'm not sure mangas in English are found there.

As for suggestions of anime:

Bleach

Fullmetal Alchemist

Naruto

Yakitate! Japan (doubtful a DVD's come out at all, but meh...)

Vandread (both seasons)

Cardcaptor Sakura :shifty:

Manga:

Most of the above, Tsubasa Resevior Chronicle, Death Note

Edited by ladydavinator

Okay, quick question.

I was interested in getting Full Metal Alchemist series on DVD so I was looking at my local BestBuy and noticed that only two DVDs are out and they each have only 4 episodes on them... Now I watched all the episodes Adult Swim has played and I ask... What up with that?

Okay, quick question.

I was interested in getting Full Metal Alchemist series on DVD so I was looking at my local BestBuy and noticed that only two DVDs are out and they each have only 4 episodes on them...  Now I watched all the episodes Adult Swim has played and I ask...  What up with that?

They never realise things on DVD until a while after they've been broadcast (at least, in the US. In Japan they'll be out like five episodes later). It just has to be lived with really. Going to be a hell of a long time before all 51 episodes are released I can tell you that.

Don't listen to Matzat. Seriously.

You take that shifty off and admit that the original Japanese version fucking rules (being hilarious, and having more random gay love intregue than you can shake a stick at. "Hey Sakura, mind if I dress you up in pretty clothes and record videos of everything you do?" "...You're kind of fucked up in the head aren't you Tomoyo?"). The American version - both in terms of the dub and the fact that they cut and altered it so much that they were forced to even change the name of the series because it was literally so different - is one of the greatest abominations to ever have been produced.

I like Pokemon.

You can have long indepth and worryingly serious conversations about the plot of Pokemon. For this reason it rules.

Eh, I have no idea what your area is showing, nor do I really know good DVDs to watch, becuase I...*ahem* obtain anime. As for mangas, I suppose that's easier to find, but I'm not sure mangas in English are found there.

As for suggestions of anime:

Bleach

Fullmetal Alchemist

Naruto

Yakitate! Japan (doubtful a DVD's come out at all, but meh...)

Vandread (both seasons)

Manga:

Most of the above, Tsubasa Resevior Chronicle, Death Note

FLCL was too short.

Naruto is a good anime, if you're into that sort of thing, prepare to be hit up with people saying 'it's too much like DBZ', and bitching at you for no reason. Then again, I was a DBZ fan, and a YYH fan, so I like Naruto. Just a matter of taste really, I have a broader selection.

Here's my list of what you should watch.

If you liked Dragonball/Z/GT you should watch:

Naruto

Yu Yu Hakusho

If not, still check these out...

Bleach

Hikaru no Go

Samurai Champloo

Rurouni Kenshin, especially the OVAs/Samurai X

FLCL if you want a short anime and have ADHD

Trigun

Full Metal Alchemist/Panic

Xenosaga Series (IF You can get it)

Hell... I'll say it... get Street Fighter the anime <_> that shit rocked.... :pinch:

FLCL was too short.

Well it's an OVA, not a TV series. It told precisely as much story as it wanted to, at the speed that it wanted to. The fact that it did it in six episodes rather than stretching it out to fit a television season makes it better than it would otherwise have been, in my opinion.

And come on now - you can't watch FLCL if you have ADHD...! You have to fix your concentration on the thing just to understand what's going on.

Also, I find myself slightly preferring the manga (all 2 books of it) over the anime version. I mean the anime has the awesome Pillows soundtrack and the great visuals, but I really love how the mangas are that little edgier, that little more psychologically fucked up, while the anime spends more time getting the craziness across. Hell - they just have that little bit more 'Gainax' in them.

Plus I'm a Ninamori fanboy. She gets a bigger role in the mangas. :shifty:

So, to conclude:

post-60-1117907799.jpg

FLCL > J00

Now agree before Haruko smashes a bass guitar into your face while Mamimi sets you on fire. >_>

Edited by stokeriño