Difference between model and skin.

apsham

So I just got really deep into the multiplayer mode of Jedi Knights II: Outcast and am installing all the maps and characters I can. I downloaded some kickass models to use, but then I noticed that there was a "Skins" category as well. What's the difference between the two?

Kickass story time: I was playing as Darth Vader in a death match with bots, when I looked to the top. I was playing with all downloaded models you see, and I got an Episode II Anakin Skywalker. His default quote for after a kill is, "[bot\player name here] you are an animal and I slaughtered you like an animal" I noticed this the first time he killed and this came up, it was "Tusken_Raider, you are an animal and I slaughtered you like an animal"

Bwahahaha.

wow talk about coincidence. I installed my new graphics card and borrowed JK 2: outcast from my grandpa(never new he was into star wars). I've downloaded a few gameplay mods , but I really suck at deuling I cannot do all the fancy moves and such and plus using a keyboard is friggin hard to control , use the arrows to move space to jump f for the force powers and the mouse to attack , don't see how its possible. Do you have your controls customized ? if so mind offering some advice on whats the best keys to map skills to and etc.

and if you want an easy win look me up sometime I go by Dochappy

Here's how I map, as of now:

Mouse 1: Attack

Mouse 2: Alt Attack

Mouse 3 (clicking down on my wheel): Use force power

; and ': Cycle force powers.

Mouse wheel: Cycle weapons

Ctrl: Duck

/: Jump

Space: Open\close doors.

That's all that I really use I guess. I am using my laptop so it's double hard, but meh.

yeah fighting with the saber is really hard. to answer your question about model and skin. I think a model is different from a skin because it is made to animate in certain ways and etc. Like i downloaded a demo mod which let you use swords and kung fu moves , in order for it to do that tyhe creator had to make a new model . and a skin is just as it says a skin for the models..

I could be wrong but I believe thats the difference

I might be confused , if you download specific models then skins you download won't apply to that model. skins I believe are only for the default models . might be they are only useable in single player. I just got my but kicked in a ffa game , i definetly need to practice and learn all the saber moves

A model is the 3D representation of the characters/objects. They're created (in things like Poser and 3D Studio Max) and then animated so that they do stuff.

Models are either seen as Wireframes:

wirefram.face1.th.jpg

Or that-thing-where-you-show-all-the-polygons that I forget the name of:

wirefram.face2.th.jpg

Smooth texture, I think. Then there's another type of texture too, meh.

Then when you've got the model, you can design skins (a.k.a Textures) for it. Skins are 2D images, and you draw them just like you'd draw a net for a box, so that it folds/wraps into the whole thing. I couldn't find a pic for this bit. but basically it looks like a dude that's been run over by a streamroller (ever seen the face type selections in the Smackdown games?), so it looks weird at first.

But then you wrap the skin around the model, and it looks a little bit like this:

wirefram.face3.th.jpg

So yeah, the term "skin" is actually quite literal :P Think of Models as Skeletons (which isn't totally correct, because a Skeleton is a term used in animating (models will have Skeletons inside them, and it's those that the animators move around. Usually), and skins as, well, skin.

I just used a face as an example of course. Models in gaming terms are the people and most of the objects too (ladders, boxes, guns etc). Stuff lying on the ground, like grass/weeds etc are usually just textures (I.e, a picture on the floor, with no skeleton inside it, so it looks 3D but actually isn't).

Edited by TheReilDeal