Battlefield 2

Fanku Kaibutsu

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread on it, but the demo for Battlefield 2, the sequel to Battlefield 1942 was released today.

Videos and stuff are available here

The demo itself is available here, or at your favorite bittorrent site.

Battlefield 1942 was my favorite FPS for PC, so I'm really looking foreward to this.

Guest Jules

Got the demo yesterday, and man, I'm loving it. It's actually the first Battlefield game I've played, haven't played Vietnam or even 1942. To say it's the first time I've played it, I'm doing well, coming top on my team most nearly all the time. Can't wait to pick up the full retail version.

If it's anything like Star Wars Batttlefront (which used Battlefield's engine), then it'll be good. It was a good game, but could have been improved on so much. Especially the lagging, that almost ruins the entire experience in online games.

It's a crime that i can run this game with a 64mb Radeon 9000 but i'm not complaining. All the settings are on low, but its playable, aswell as online without lag. So at least i can get the game and play it while a save for a new graphics card.

Oh, and this plays alot better than Battlefront, the Galactic Conquest mod for 1942 is better than Battlefront also IMO. Although this game is still poorly optimised as opposed to Half Life 2 for example, but it doesn't matter, because i can run it, and people with decent video cards can't :).

Guest Jules

Does anybody know where I can find the thing that tests whether a game runs on your computer or not? I'm wanting Battlefield 2 but I'm not entirely sure it will work on my laptop.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up the retail version today. The main complaint I have is that you can't play a single player game with more than 16 bots, which means you can only play the small versions of all the maps in single player, which means you can't learn to fly the jets and helicopters without being in a multiplayer game. I feel bad sitting around the airfield wating for aircraft to spawn so I can practice.

All the maps I've played so far have been great, especially the... Something Peninsula, with 5-8 strategic points placed very very close together in a dense urban area. Squads cutting through alleys, tanks and APC's stomping through streest just barely big enough for them, snipers in buildings, explosions and gunfire everywhere, constant thick and chunky fighting.

The map with the pagodas is pretty sweet too.