Cover's of Punk Songs

RPS

Ok, so I recently heard Nouvelle Vague's amazing self-titled CD. There are some amazing cover songs on there of great punk, post-punk and alternative songs. Public Image [Johnny Rotten's new wave band], the Clash, and the Dead Kennedy songs turned them into French-Pop songs. 'Too Drunk Too Fuck' is perhaps the most interesting cover song I have ever heard in my entire life, with the vocalist bursting into laughter a few times.

And, than I recalled perhaps my favorite CD of 2004 'Do You Want New Wave Or Do You Want The Soft Pink Truth'. Basically, the concept was the guy from Matmos covered a whole bunch of punk rock songs and turned them into killer dance tunes. He cover's 'Out Of Step' by Minor Threat and arguably make it sound better. Nervous Genders song 'Confessions' won't sit well with most people who are offended easily. And perhaps the most ironic concept for a song, a homophobic song by Angry Samoans turned into a gay anthem by The Soft Pink Truth.

Anyone know of anything similar to this? I know of Richard Cheese and The Mike Flowers Pops who turn songs into lounge tunes, but I am more looking for punk songs. I am also not quite sure on what the hell punk rock karaoke is, but I assume it isn't what I am looking for.

Two covers that immediately come to mind are both Ramones originals. One being "Beat on the Brat" covered by Nomeansno, which takes the song in a very slow, plodding direction. The vocals sound more like a chant as opposed to Joey's rapid fire vocals.

The other is "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" covered by the Phantom Surfers. Basically, the song is turned into a great surf tune, complete with the vocals being omitted from the cover.

And, than I recalled perhaps my favorite CD of 2004 'Do You Want New Wave Or Do You Want The Soft Pink Truth'. Basically, the concept was the guy from Matmos covered a whole bunch of punk rock songs and turned them into killer dance tunes. He cover's 'Out Of Step' by Minor Threat and arguably make it sound better. Nervous Genders song 'Confessions' won't sit well with most people who are offended easily. And perhaps the most ironic concept for a song, a homophobic song by Angry Samoans turned into a gay anthem by The Soft Pink Truth.

Are there any Minutemen covers on this album? I ask because that title has to be derived from the Minutemen song "Do you want new wave or do you want the truth?".

Also, I don't know if you'd be interested or not, but Slayer released an album that was dedicated to all punk covers. Songs like "Sick Boy" (GBH), "Memories of Tomorrow" (Suicidal Tendencies), and "Richard Hung Himself" (D.I.) appear on this album.

There are no Minutemen songs on it. I'll post a tracklist for you....

Kitchen [Voag]

Do They Owe Us a Living? [Crass]

In School [Die Kreuzen]

Media Friend/V.S.B. [Rudimentary Peni]

I Owe It to the Girls [Teddy & The Frat Girls]

Out of Step [Minor Threat]

Real Shocks [swell Maps]

Confession [Nervous Gender]

Homo-Sexual [Angry Samoans]

Lookin' Back [Channing]

When I first heard about it, I threw it away as a novelty. But the songs are actually pretty good if you dig dance music, which you may or may not.

And thanks for the songs you have me. I have a few Nomeansno songs on my computer and I love them, so I'll check out the song. And the Slayer album sounds like a must have. I might have to find that one somewhere. What is it called?

Ah, excellent, covers, my personal forté :D

From the title I was about to recommend Nouvelle Vague, but since you've already heard of them, I'll just further endorse them.

Along the same lines as Richard Cheese, check out Erich Davison. Most of his albums were released as "The King", but if you're going to search for him, you're better off looking for him under his real name. He's an Elvis impersonator who made a career out of covering other people's songs in the style of Elvis, and he's done a couple of punk covers, most notably "Pretty Vacant".

Also, Devilounge are similar to Richard Cheese in that they're a lounge covers act, but the appeal isn't as strong as they only cover Misfits songs and with far less talent, but they're still definitely worth a look.

I think it was Craker who did a country cover of The Clash's White Riot, but don't hold me to that, as I can't seem to track it down anywhere. Sparks did a fairly good cover of "We Are The Clash" that was quite different from the original, and Josh Rouse did an excellent acoustic version of "Straight To Hell".

I also suggest Marilyn Manson's cover of The Ramones' "The KKK Took My Baby Away", although a lot of people seem to dislike it.

I'm sure there are more, but off the top of my head I can't think of any. I'll probably come back to this thread later, though.

There are no Minutemen songs on it. I'll post a tracklist for you....

Kitchen  [Voag]

Do They Owe Us a Living?  [Crass]

In School  [Die Kreuzen] 

Media Friend/V.S.B.  [Rudimentary Peni]

I Owe It to the Girls  [Teddy & The Frat Girls]

Out of Step  [Minor Threat]

Real Shocks  [swell Maps]

Confession  [Nervous Gender]

Homo-Sexual  [Angry Samoans]

Lookin' Back  [Channing]

When I first heard about it, I threw it away as a novelty. But the songs are actually pretty good if you dig dance music, which you may or may not.

And thanks for the songs you have me. I have a few Nomeansno songs on my computer and I love them, so I'll check out the song. And the Slayer album sounds like a must have. I might have to find that one somewhere. What is it called?

The Slayer album is called "Undisputed Attitude", and actually has alot of other covers of great songs. I wasn't aware that bands like Dr. Know and Verbal Abuse were covered on this album. Here's a link to a review and track listing...

Undisputed Attitude

The track listing for the album you posted looks good, especially with Rudimentary Peni and Crass. I have only heard bits of pieces of Nervous Gender, but I do know that the group involved "Phranc", a Jewish lesbian folk-singer. She was also part of the California super group Catholic Discipline.

Also glad to hear you love the Nomeansno songs you have, they are quite possibly my all-time favorite group (which is hard to choose). Every album they've released is a masterpiece in my view.