Pre Season Friendlies

I was just watching Sky Sports news and it made me think...

What do you think of pre season friendlies? Do you actually go to them?

For me, I think they can be a bit of a hit or a miss. I tend to find that for my local team, St. Johnstone, we seem to play a heap of utter crap and then try and test ourselves against a half decent team and get our arses well and truly kicked.

It happened last year too. We were playing against all of these lower league teams and doing well. Then we played Leicester, got beat 2-0 and got played off the park. We're somewhat doing it again this year too. Playing Stirling Albion (Beat them 4-1), Inveurrie Locos and then Dunfermline. Bit of a step up, eh? Highland League to SPL.

And I'm going to the Man United/Clyde game at Broadwood next week as a neutral fan

Amway, do you actually enjoy them?

The team I support, Barnet, are in the same type of situation. I think they play like Gillingham, a bunch of Conference North/South or worse side and then Arsenal. I think it is good for the lower league teams because it can bring in money if they manage a big time friendly. It can also be good for big teams who do things like tours because it only increases their sales potential in foreign lands.

It's good, as it gives you matches you would never see. I mean okay maybe I don't have much interest seeing Blackburn play most lower league sides but the other team's fans willdo. Plus we usually get a decent team from abroad to come and play here and this year it's Seville. Not too shabby.

Although they are pretty much pointless, I do enjoy them.

Last year, I watched all of United's pre-season USA tour. They left all the big names off the team until the last match due to complaints from the American fans. Before that we were just fielding our reserves, whom I'm used to watching anyway, getting some great experience against the likes of the AC Milan first-team.

This year, we seem to be taking it a lot more seriously. The tour of the far-east is as much an importance as it is a business investment to the team and I'll surely be watching.

I dont quite see why Leeda are in debt and there travelling to Norway for 2 games :(

I am probably going to go to the Barnsley - Leeds match at Oakwell, it is only around the corner from the train station so it aint hard to get there :)

Orient's pre-season friendlies actually look alright, we have our yearly trip to Thurrock to look forward to and then two testimonials for our retired player Andy Scott against Sutton and Brentford. And some other games.

Last year, I watched all of United's pre-season USA tour. They left all the big names off the team until the last match due to complaints from the American fans. Before that we were just fielding our reserves, whom I'm used to watching anyway, getting some great experience against the likes of the AC Milan first-team.