William's pulls out of title fight

ITV has a fight special tonight, and was to showcase a British Heavyweight title fight between Matt Skelton (Champion) and Danny Williams (who KO'd Tyson). However, Williams has pulled out:

Danny Williams has pulled out of his British heavyweight title bout with champion Matt Skelton because of flu.

Williams informed promoter Frank Warren he would not be taking part late on Friday night and his place will now be taken by Chesterfield's Mark Krence.

"I am disgusted and won't be promoting any fights involving him," Warren said.

"The situation is totally unacceptable. If he has been in bed all week he should have informed me. I believe the real reason is his bottle has gone."

Warren added: "I had a phone call from his wife saying he had been in bed with flu all week despite him having weighed in on Friday and being examined by the doctor."

Williams' trainer, Jim McDonnell, admitted he was surprised by the late developments.

"Danny prepared properly for the fight and he was in great shape, but he took a couple of days out of the gym last week which I wasn't aware of," he said.

Williams, who weighed in at a huge 20st 3lb for the fight on Friday, had already incensed Warren by missing Thursday's final press conference.

Edited by timmayy

I'm far more interested in Hopkins/Taylor, and would love to see an upset there.

Williams is (and has always been) complete garbage, and Khan is extremely overhyped, much like Calzaghe. He's a decent fighter at best, but we have press calling him our Ali - it's a joke.

Shame about Williams i was really looking forward to the match and it was really getting hyped in the paper, shame :(

As for Kahn, i think he will hammer this guy and it wont be long untill Kahn is on top of the world

I think Khan is good, but like all promising young sportsmen in Britain, overhyped. Don't know anything about his opponent, but people are saying that it should be a comfortable win for him.

Williams has had his 15 minutes of fame after beating Tyson and then having a shot at the world title. Ricky Hatton is the fucking man at the moment.

Well, Skelton beats Krence. It was a decent fight, and Krench kept going, but Skelton was in control there from moment one.

Maybe Khan has been hyped a little too much, and he may not have won the olympics, but a silver medal at his age was a great achievement, and he lost to the guy who's widely regarded as the best amateur fighter in years, who he since beat. Khan could be a very good fighter in his career, and I just hope he doesn't pull an 'Audley' with his career.

Edited by timmayy

Well, Skelton beats Krence (sp). It was a decent fight, and Krench kept going, but Skelton was in control there from moment one.

Maybe Khan has been hyped a little too much, and he may not have won the olympics, but a silver medal at his age was a great achievement, and he lost to the guy who's widely regarded as the best amateur fighter in years, who he since beat. Khan could be a very good fighter in his career, and I just hope he doesn't pull an 'Audley' with his career.

I heard he moved to the states to try and revive his career, and I haven't heard anything since.

I wouldn't be too suprised if that's the last we really hear of him.

There was no point me closing FM and turning the computer off.

Completely destoryed him but it was quite obvious he was going to win easy. There not going to throw Amir in with a guy that could win him, there going to throw him in with a no hoper and watch how he wins the match. The next few matches for Amit will be walkovers before it starts getting more serious

I think the opponent simply went in just for the pay cheque. He went down after about 15 seconds and he was up quickly. There was no need to throw the towel in then, maybe after the second knockdown. I just don't think the guy had any real intention of making a match of it.

The Hopkins/Taylor fight was too close to call, IMO, and as I wouldn't have been surprised at all to see Hopkins take it, especially after how strong he finished. The way I see it, Hopkins could have at least clinched the draw with his performances in rounds 11 and 12, but the judges didn't see it that way. Fights like this, even though they are great to watch, are kind of unsettling in the end as the decision could easily be disputed. On the upside, it puts the anticipation level through the roof for the rematch.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy