The 2005/2006 Hockey Season Thread

Clawson

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know what this boards fascination with Belak is but I find it pretty damn pathetic when all the guy can do is hit and fight.

Kind of like Hossa except he can only dive and score the odd goal.

What? I had to take a pot shot at the Sens no matter how nice you were being. :shifty:

What the fuck are you talking about Clawson, Hossa can't hit and fight. :P

And he just went into arbitration. Given his numbers he might not be a Senator for long.

As for Belak, he is essential in the new NHL. With a schedule where extra emphasis is placed on in division rivalries, you NEED a guy who is not afraid to go out and murder people for his team's honor. Besides fighting, Belak is a great nuetral zone hitter, and trust me from experience with Jovo and Brad May, a big hit in the nuetral zone is such a tide turner, when you have a fast offense all you need is one big turnover and you can really do some damage. Not even mentioning the effect it has on the crowd, which really helps energize a team.

As for Kyle Wellwood, he didn't exactly "tear it up" last season in Saint Johns. Sure, he was PPG, but he's not an elite, top two lines guy like Jason Spezza who absolutely raped the league. The gap between Spetz and The Dyslexic Squid and Wellwood is far larger then the gap between Simon Gamache and Peter Sarno, two guys who will never, ever make the NHL. Between the two in their almost decades since the draft they have a combined 3 NHL points. Gamache is one point behind Wellwood and Sarno is only 5. So don't start engraving Kyle Wellwood on the Calder Trophy. He is not the superstar you are convinced he is.

Leafs signed the Big E, finally.

TORONTO (CP) - The Toronto Maple Leafs acquired Eric Lindros on Thursday, signing the unrestricted free agent to a one-year contract.

The deal is worth $1.55 million US.

"Teams were still calling this morning, the interest really picked up, it's interesting how it worked out," said Carl Lindros, Eric's father and agent. "But this is a good situation for him. It's what he wanted."

Lindros and the Leafs have been linked for years. But their on-again, off-again courtship was not consummated until Thursday.

The 32-year-old forward played for the New York Rangers most recently.  He had 10 goals, 22 assists and 60 penalty minutes in 39 games during the 2003-04 season.

Lindros won the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player in 1994-95 and the Lester B. Pearson Award as the most outstanding player in the NHL as voted by the players the same year.

But concussions have taken a toll on the big forward during his NHL career.

Lindros has played 678 career NHL games for Philadelphia and the New York Rangers, recording 356 goals 461 assists and 1,285 penalty minutes.

TSN.ca

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Lindros had better produce, because outside of the centers, Toronto's offence looks pretty weak this year. Jeff O'Neil and Darcy will make good wingers for Mats, but beyond those two I begin to worry. Domi's fine on the fourth line working with Stajan, but how's he going to fit should he be asked to step up his offense on the second line with Jason Allison and perhaps Kilger? It's going to be up to the centers quite a bit this year.

Alright, you can be happy with Lindros, I mean he's good for a couple goals, and a couple concussions here and there along the way. So in short turns good luck with the guy.

Finally another Rangers headcase out of the way.

Now I'll say this, if Lindros was healthy, he'd be:

1. Worth more.

2. Staying with the Rangers.

The Rangers didn't want him because his health is a problem, so to you Leaf fans out there, you're welcome.

Oh I doubt we'll be selling any Montoya jersey with the 500 other goalies we have.

and ..

1.55 Million for one year is fine, I'm not disagreeing with you, but it seems you guys just hit the lottery by signing Lindros, sure he wanted to go there .. but seriously lets think about it. Lindros had 55 points his last full season, someone said here, how is that productive? He had more points when he played less games, and I'm sure we all know he would of had a lot more if he didn't have 500 concussions the past 3 seasons.

All I'm saying is, it's going to be interesting what he does for the Leafs, who for some reason like older players anyway.

Good luck having Lindros, and yes he'll sell the jerseys, he'll bring them money, fans and what not.

But how many games has his dad decided to make those bonuses start that he's promiced, past the first month of the season? Oh, well yeah probably he'll get a concussion, then you'll come crying how much of a waste he was to sign, when he can't play the rest of the season.

That's all.

In other news, Thorton is a overrated player.

Edited by twoonglue

Just to clear something up, Eric Lindros is not eligable for the same injury insurance incentives that Allison recieved. Word from Toronto is that Lindros' contract has NO incentives whatsoever, and is a flat 1.55 million, barring his leading the league in scoring and earning mandatory bonuses.

So STFU.

Guest Grapehead

Alright, so you're saying someone like Gange who deserves a big contract, and didn't get one is not that good of a player as Thorton.

Okay of course he had to carry the Bruins, who else did they have?

But who's better in your eyes Gange, or Thorton?