Clawson

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Grapehead

So Basha gets it, and he's a habs fan, I get it and I'm a Sens fan... must just be you Leaf fans that think I'm doing something wrong by raggin on the Leafs. It's part of hockey, and especially Canadian hockey, it's not trolling, and I'd be surprised if anyone in power at this forum agreed that it was trolling.

Leafs fans have never been known for their intelligence.

good colorado/Vancouver game. You want to talk about sloppy defense, oh man... but at least it was entertaining for two periods...

Guest Grapehead

Ugh, Ottawa... Alright, they came out strong in the first, had a few sloppy turn overs, nothing terrible, and strong offense through the first. Then the 2nd hit and the game just went all Carolina's way, they really took over. Now, not that it had a direct affect in all situations, but there was some BAD officiating, as Carolina took a dive 4 or 5 times blatantly(Gerber!!), as well as Spezza taking something of a dive(although it could be said he was doing it just because Carolina had gotten away with a bunch to that point). Chara's penalty made me a bit sour, since they won't make a rule to protect the goalies and they won't let defensemen do their job, goalies are left out to hang in this new NHL, but oh well. Other than that, officiating never got me off my seat(GERBER!! God that was ridiculous, who the hell hit you that sent you FLYING, Gerber?) and all around Carolina trashed the Sens through the 2nd and 3rd, while Gerber turned it on for the 3rd with some exceptional saves. Tough pill to swallow, but they'll bounce back after a swift talking to.

Edited by Grapehead

What a fucking Leaf game. How glad I'm I we picked up the Big E?!? A fucking clutch shootout goal, baby! Man, The arena exploded after Bergeron missed. What a game. Overtime was fantastic. Leaf's outstanding powerplay continues. Two goals on the man advantage. No goals against on the PK and even a shorthanded goal by Poni. Great game. Plus, throw two more points on for Caber and he's got 15, enough to share league led with Jagr. Good show.

Agreed with the leadblowing, but damn, I almost had a heart attack during overtime!!!

Sure, Eddie made 50 saves, but some of those goals were just horrible.

And again, NO DEFENCE. NO DEFENCE. NO DEFENCE.

We really need a workhorse defensive defenceman up in here. Khavanov, Klee and Berg are NOT it, McCabe is a liability, and Kaberle sometimes forgets he's supposed to be playing defence, I think.

Rumours are STILL going nuts that Brendan Witt will be brought in, but I just can't see that happening if it hasn't already. Plus, Washington will likely ask for a prospect back, and honestly, losing any of our prospects right now would be nuts I think. Oh, and apparently the Pens are interested, and getting into a bidding war with them is not a good idea for us.

Let's find someone else!

You know gys I can't see how McCabe has been a liability. The man is leading the league in scoring for one and two he's playing nearly 30 minutes a night. I mean people are bound to make at least one mistake in that much time.

Hell, McCabe and Kaberle may be the best defensive pairing in the league today. What we really need on defense is somebody to step in for the Killer Bs.

Guest Grapehead

I'd take any of the defensive pairings on Ottawa or even Vancouver over them, Toronto has awful defense when you look at the long run, so McCabe had a good start to his year, whoopity-doo.

Edited by Grapehead

I think McCabe was a solid defenseman last season, with career high numbers, and this year he is playing even better. I think McCabe and Kaberle is a pretty solid pairing, its the people after them that are not playing well.

Mccabe was an awful defensemen last year, cut from a basement dwelling SEL team that could have really used his help. Problem is, he sucked gigantic amounts of ass and was the worst defensemen on the team.

As for better pairings then Caberlabe, how about Tim Gleason and Aaron Miller of the Kings? Sure, their combined 6 points isn't as impressive as the Toronto pairings 23, but their combined +14 similarily dwarfs the combined +3 of toronto's top defensive pair. Or how about Mattias Ohlund and Sami Salo of Vancouver? Their 14 combined points isn't the 23 that kaberle and McCabe have managed, but their combined +9 is three times the number that McCabe and Kaberle have put up. How about Eric Desjardins and Chris Therien? While their combined 7 points is well shy of the 23 set by Torontos first pairing, their combined plus four is already ahead. And you're talking about a third pairing defensive unit where both players have missed games with nagging injuries. If an out of shape third pairing defense is putting up a better defensive game then your top pairing, you're in trouble.

I laugh at your accusation that McCabe and Kaberle is a top pairing in the league. offensively, sure, but there are huge lapses in their defensive game. right now if I wanted to pick a top pair in the NHL, I'd pick (even though they only play together on special teams) Ed Jovanovski and Sami Salo. Their combined 20 points is not too far off the mark set by Caberlabe, but their combined +7 is far better in a league where having a smart and capable, resposible defense in your own zone is suddenly super important. Toronto doesn't have that. They can put up a million points. Face it, Toronto's defense is atrocious. Look at the goals against numbers against the league: Toronto, 32, Ottawa, 14, Philadelphia, 22, Montreal, 23, Carolina, 20, Detroit, 19, Nashville, 19, Vancouver, 28... there are more, but of those teams, many with noted goaltending problems, Toronto is the highest, and you have a multiple vezina award winner and former Stanley cup champion in net for you. You have no excuse.

Actually Sean I can give you reasons or excuses as to why are GA is so high:

1. Eddie Belfour has always been a slow starter. He has never been a good goalie in October.

2. Look at who the forwards are that Kabs and Cabers usually have to play with: Allison, Tucker, O'Neill. None of these guys are really all that solid in the defensive zone. Of course this can be thrown the other way and say that is why McCabe is getting so many points but then why are none of those three up there either? Well Allison has 10 points and is -7, O'Neill has 8 points and is a -5 and Tucks has 9 points with a -5. Not exactly amazing players in their own zone are they? You can't expect 2 guys to be able to control 3-4 guys in their own zone without allowing a couple of goals now can you?

Habs game against Philly last night was great hockey from both teams. I loved it, the Habs were faster than the Flyers and won most foot races, but Philly was so much more physical than us, sure we threw out a few good hits, but they were on us all night. It showed late in the third, the Habs looked like they were lagging a bit.

Ribeiro's 2 goals were awesome. The first, what was that, Markov shoots from his own zone and no one's around to stop Ribeiro. Then in OT, no one challenged him, he just lined up the shot and let loose. Stunned everyone I think.

Was a fun game to watch, we head to Ottawa tomorrow night. Should be a great game. Top two teams in the east, combined record of 13 - 3. I think Ottawa might take the game. They've given up so few goals this year.

CKN will mock me again if we lose to them again.

The NHL's new zero-tolerance policy towards on-ice infractions has moved off the ice.

The league announced Wednesday that Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Pat Quinn and Mighty Ducks of Anaheim coach Randy Carlyle have been fined unspecified amounts by the league for making critical remarks about the game, the new rules and/or officiating.

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly made the final decision on who was fined. Quinn criticized the new NHL last weekend.

"Where it is right now, in spite of everybody saying 'Oh, I love the new game,' I don't love the new game," Quinn said Saturday after a 5-2 loss to Philadelphia. "I don't think it's hockey. It's special teams situations and we've got gimmicks to decide games.

"It's totally different. You're not going to see the physical playoff style if everybody is afraid of penalties. So far, we've won our games on special teams and we've lost our games on special teams. Five-on-five is like the dodo bird."

Carlyle was upset after Anaheim lost 3-2 to Detroit last Friday night, pointing to the fact the Red Wings had eight power plays to the Ducks' four.

"I don't understand how they called that many power plays against us," Carlyle said. "I don't understand how we're that bad. I guess the Detroit Red Wings get those calls in their building."

Some other club team personnel - coaches and general managers - have reportedly been given written warnings from the league and put on notice that they too could be fined if criticism continues.

"The league told us during the lockout that when hockey resumed, (the NHL) was going to really crack down on guys being critical of the game or the officials," said one NHL GM, who requested anonymity.

"People in hockey have always been more publicly critical of the league and this game than people in baseball, football or basketball. I guess it's not going to be tolerated like it has been in the past."

Sources say the NHL will go public with a campaign aimed at stamping out critical remarks and making sure all club team personnel know they will be fined for disparaging comments which are deemed to be not in the best interest of the game.

The NHL's new zero-tolerance policy towards on-ice infractions has moved off the ice.

The league announced Wednesday that Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Pat Quinn and Mighty Ducks of Anaheim coach Randy Carlyle have been fined unspecified amounts by the league for making critical remarks about the game, the new rules and/or officiating.

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly made the final decision on who was fined. Quinn criticized the new NHL last weekend.

"Where it is right now, in spite of everybody saying 'Oh, I love the new game,' I don't love the new game," Quinn said Saturday after a 5-2 loss to Philadelphia. "I don't think it's hockey. It's special teams situations and we've got gimmicks to decide games.

"It's totally different. You're not going to see the physical playoff style if everybody is afraid of penalties. So far, we've won our games on special teams and we've lost our games on special teams. Five-on-five is like the dodo bird."

Carlyle was upset after Anaheim lost 3-2 to Detroit last Friday night, pointing to the fact the Red Wings had eight power plays to the Ducks' four.

"I don't understand how they called that many power plays against us," Carlyle said. "I don't understand how we're that bad. I guess the Detroit Red Wings get those calls in their building."

Some other club team personnel - coaches and general managers - have reportedly been given written warnings from the league and put on notice that they too could be fined if criticism continues.

"The league told us during the lockout that when hockey resumed, (the NHL) was going to really crack down on guys being critical of the game or the officials," said one NHL GM, who requested anonymity.

"People in hockey have always been more publicly critical of the league and this game than people in baseball, football or basketball. I guess it's not going to be tolerated like it has been in the past."

Sources say the NHL will go public with a campaign aimed at stamping out critical remarks and making sure all club team personnel know they will be fined for disparaging comments which are deemed to be not in the best interest of the game.

It's about damn time... maybe Quinn will be able to stop being critical about the game every time the Leafs lose.