The 2005/2006 Hockey Season Thread

Clawson

It's all about what sells, and the teams that get praise are the teams with the biggest fanbases. Going to the NFL, when the Ravens went to Super Bowl XXXV all anyone talked about was what we'd need to do to stop the powerful Giants. If I recall, the Giants were favored, and then got completely destroyed in perhaps the most lopsided Super Bowl ever. And my other team, the Bills, are LITERALLY that red-headed step child as far as the state of New York goes.

And don't get me started on baseball... don't even get me started.

But it's the way things work. That's why we have local TV stations that cover our local teams in depth, since the national media won't do it.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just don't see how a team that hasn't done anything for almost 40 years sells. Not that the Habs are doing much better in recent years but still, I'd rather see CBC go nuts for a sucessful team and not for the team that's gonna eliminate Ottawa then blow it to Buffalo in the playoffs.

Jealous of what? That Hockey Night in Canada supports your team? That you haven't won a cup in almost 40 years? That you're going to miss the playoffs? Seriously, what is there to be jealous about the Leafs? (Yes, I know they have beaten my team many times in the playoffs, but what does it matter when they get knocked out in the next round every time?)

Edited by prime time

All you guys can do is bitch about Toronto, then remind us about how we haven't won a Cup since 67. Then you talk about Toronto some more. Then it's more, "You guys haven't done anything!" Then you throw in some more talk about the Leafs.

Quite frankly, I could talk about any of the 29 other teams in hockey, it's just that everyone always brings up the Leafs. :P

Edit: And how about Hannu Toivonen? Not only is he a rookie, a Gumby wannabe, a crazy save machine, and a Finn, he also may be the sexiest goalie in the NHL. God damn Hannu, you got it all.

Edited by grind your soul

I still think that Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo could all make the playoffs, with Boston being the only team in that division to not make it. All the teams are good, and it would be awesome if all 4 of those teams made it. Out of those 4, I think Toronto is the one that is going to be barely making it in.

Guest Grapehead

All you guys can do is bitch about Toronto, then remind us about how we haven't won a Cup since 67. Then you talk about Toronto some more. Then it's more, "You guys haven't done anything!" Then you throw in some more talk about the Leafs.

Quite frankly, I could talk about any of the 29 other teams in hockey, it's just that everyone always brings up the Leafs. :P

Edit: And how about Hannu Toivonen? Not only is he a rookie, a Gumby wannabe, a crazy save machine, and a Finn, he also may be the sexiest goalie in the NHL. God damn Hannu, you got it all.

I think Ray Emery is a much better looking goalie than Toivonen, I'd also put Emery on my team over Toivonen, hell Emery holds an NHL record.

I'd put Philly or Detroit ahead of Toronto. Toronto is only popular is Ontario and even then, there's big Habs fans and huge Sens fans there.

I think it's all relative for the most part to be honest. I mean in Montreal, I go downtown and every store has Habs memrobilia in it, hell even out here in the burbs I go to work and there's a habs jersey on the wall and some other habs shit all over.

Toronto has much larger exposure but then again, I don't think that too many people in Quebec, BC or Alberta are watching the Leafs games.

Teams like Philly or Detroit have fans all over the place, it's nuts. A philly game in Montreal is huge because there's so many Flyers fans in Montreal.

To call Toronto the most popular team in hockey, to me is just stupid. Then again it could be because I'm a Habs fan and it's so fucking huge in Montreal(just like it is in Toronto) that I can't agree with you saying that.

When Toronto plays in Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, any of the southeast or southwest cities, and even sometimes in Detroit, there is always a huge Leafs fan contingent. When the Leafs play teams who don't get a lot of crowds, THE CROWD TOTALS INCREASE. It's factual.

The Leafs may not be the best team on the ice, and many people hate them [which also helps their popularity - because so many people love to talk shit about them!], but the fan support from all across the league is there.

I went to Sandusky, Ohio last year - bam, there were Leafs jerseys. I went to Hershey, Pennsylvania - BAM! I saw a Leafs jersey [and Hershey is only a couple hours from Philly!]. The reach is widespread, and to say that they're only popular in Toronto is a stupid ass comment.

[Not that others aren't popular outside of their region - Detroit is a big one, for sure].

EDIT: Just to back up my comments a bit:

TOR @ ATL, 10/14/05 - 17,248 [2nd highest crowd for an Atlanta game all year, outside of their home opener - the first highest crowd was 200 more paid - to see Detroit, which backs up damshow's comments].

TOR @ BUF 11/11/05 - 18,690 [one of only three sold out Buffalo games this year, other two being MTL and PIT]

TOR @ CAR, 11/25/05 - 18,730 [highest crowd for a Carolina game all year, outside of home opener]

TOR @ BOS 11/17 and 12/22 - 17,565 [two of the eight sell-outs that Boston has had this year - nearly 1,000 over their average]

And for comparison with DET:

DET @ PHO 10/15 - 17,799 [one of only three sellouts in Phoenix this year, other two are VAN and the home opener]

DET @ CBJ 10/22 - 18,136 [one of only four sellouts, others are home opener, EDM and COL - and DET is in the same division as CBJ, too]

DET @ CHI 10/29 - 20,658 [highest attendance in Chicago this year - and they're in the same division!]

DET @ ANA 11/25 - 17,174 [one of three sellouts in Anaheim, others were home opener and vs LA, divisional rival]

DET @ WSH 12/09 - 18,277 [biggest crowd of the year in WSH, and 6,000 above their average crowd]

DET @ CHI 12/23 - 20,543 [2nd highest attendance in Chicago - and 6,000 above their average crowd]

Those are some impressive numbers, are they not? I'd say Detroit is ahead of Toronto, but that Toronto is still able to bring in the hate for games where they play teams which aren't normally on their schedule. They haven't had away games at many western conference teams, and the ones they do play this year [EDM, CGY, VAN] will likely all be sellouts, as those buildings are constantly sold out.

I didn't realize Detroit's popularity. Damn!

You only realize Detroit's popularity if you live in the United States. They once ran a comparison on ESPN, during the 2004 baseball playoffs I think, where they looked for the Yankees and Red Sox of hockey. The Red Wings got the Yankees since they are the most poular team, spend the most, and spike attendance wherever they go. The Rangers (Spend a ton, huge local following, but never win) were the Red Sox since ESPN never says anything about Canadian teams (As anyone who watched the Stanley Cup Finals on ABC can tell you, the announcers were rooting against Calgary). However, I'd definitely say the Leafs are more of the Red Sox. At least in terms of a "second most popular" team.

And OLN is airing the Stars-Blues, so I get to finally see just how bad the Blues are.

Fuck this. We were playing the Capitals last week and going into the third period I wouldn't have bet against us (Habs) because we seemed the better team, then the third period fucking blew ass.

Then this? 3-0 in the third against the Thrashers, it's pathetic to be honest. This match is just so bad to listen to so I feel sorry for Basha who has to watch this - although he's probably not watching now :P.

Can't hold a lead. Can't win a way. But can rally from 3-0 down against the Sens and win - go figure.

Let's also not forget how awesome the Thrashers are playing, specifically Michael Garnett, Marc Savard, and Marian Hossa. 3M Innovation. Those guys are tearing it right up. Garnett has the first back-to-back shutouts in Thrashers history, and the longest shutout streak in franchise history [155 minutes without giving up a goal]. Hossa is the player of the week, and Savard has been having a breakout year. This isn't even including Ilya Kovalchuk or Peter Bondra, who are also lighting it up. It's too bad their defence is so terrible.

And how about the Sabres? Another win tonight, and Ryan Miller is defensive player of the week - meaning, basically, that they have the hottest goaltending duo right now in the entire NHL. Go Sabres, eh?

I know it's probably too early to say "must win"... but the Lightning victory over the Canes was a must win for them. They need to be able to steal some points from the Canes the rest of the year if they want the division.

The Preds, for all intents and purposes, are in first in the Western Conference now. They've got 49 through 33. I'll be surprised if they get the number 1 in the West, but the number 4 will not surprise me at all. Calgary is in first place in the Northwest again. Not that that's much news. Them, Edmonton, and Vancouver will be trading it off all season long. Which is awesome, as I love those bitter Canadian rivalries. If only they got broadcasted in Baltimore.

And judging by the period and a half I watched today, St. Louis is reaaaally reaaaaaaaaaally bad.

How did Ryan Miller not make team USA? Yes I understand he's only a rookie but still, he's better then their 3rd string. And as far as Tucker goes, that was one of the dirtiest things I've seen all year, I really hope he gets at least 5 games because that was at least as bad as Havlat kicking.