Official MLB Hall of Fame Thread

EWRFan

Well, with Boggs and Sandberg getting inducted, I decided to open up this topic to discuss the future Hall of Famers. Who belongs here? Will steroids play a factor in the ballots? Will this affect people like Bonds,McGwire,Sosa and Rafy? Will Pete Rose ever be admited? Can great players whose numbers have declined still be considered?(Example: Thomas,Griffey,Gonzales,Bernie etc)

Let the discussion begin!

I already made a post about this in the MLB Thread. To summarize, players who played in the Steroid Era should not be judged any differently than players who didn't because you can't discern which homers or hits where due to steroids and which ones weren't.

Griffey is in without a doubt. I mean, the man was the most feared hitter in the game. Frank Thomas should get in (2 MVPs), but unfortunately he probably won't. Bernie is not going to get in. Juan Gonzales is not either.

Two Killer Bee's in Bagwell and Biggio should get in. Biggio will because he'll finish with 3,000 hits. Bagwell, if it weren't for his health, would probably get to 500 home runs. But the question is if he will get in despite the fact he has no "milestone" numbers.

A-Rod has the chance to break almost every record in the book. The question is if he will play long enough and stay healthy enough to do it. He's definitely a Hall of Famer, I was just adding him in to say that he can break practically every record.

One more question mark player who should get in, but I don't know if he will, is Jeff Kent. His numbers are some of the best ever for a second baseman. He's the most powerful second baseman ever, and has had 7 100-RBI seasons. He's won an MVP.

Some young players who, if they keep it up, will get in are Mark Prior, Roy Oswalt, Mark Teixeria, Hank Blalock, Albert Pujols, Miguel Cabrera, and Johan Santana.

For some odd reason, I can see closers slowly start to get more respect from the HoF voters. On that note, I can definitely see the likes of Lee Smith (1st all time in Saves), John Franco (1st among lefties in saves), Trevor Hoffman, and Mariano Rivera get the call. Maybe not in their 1st year of eligibility, but they will get the call sooner or later.

I think Edgar Martinez will probably get in when he is eligible, as he's the greatest DH Hitter ever.

And I don't know if Pete Rose will ever be admitted but I hope he does. He's one of the best Hitters ever.

Derek Jeter MIGHT make it in. Alex Rodriguez almost certainly will make it in. He could even become the all time Home run hitter if he doesn't get injured.

I think Edgar Martinez will probably get in when he is eligible, as he's the greatest DH Hitter ever.

And I don't know if Pete Rose will ever be admitted but I hope he does. He's one of the best Hitters ever.

Derek Jeter MIGHT make it in. Alex Rodriguez almost certainly will make it in. He could even become the all time Home run hitter if he doesn't get injured.

Edgar Martinez and Harold Baines both should make the Hall. DH is a position, they are the two best ever to play their position. People say "Well, they don't field... that's part of a Hall of Famer." To that I respond, "And many hitters don't pitch and many pitchers don't hit."

And Jeter is a Hall of Famer regardless of what numbers he finishes with. He is Derek Jeter. He should thank Jeffery Maher and Jeremy Giambi though in his speech for making it all possible.

Edited by damshow

Guest tractorkid

Cal Ripken will be in the Hall of Fame, first ballot, Roger Clemens, I would like to see Randy Myers who is a great saves person go, and maybe, just maybe Cecil Fielder, I don't know why.

Look for 0 of next years first balloters to get in, and Buster Olney already said his votes are going to Sutter and Gossage, and said a lot of the voters are going to right the wrongs of these 2-3 inning closers next year.

As for Big Mac, Raffy, Bonds... Bonds, yes.. Raffy, I could really care less one way or the other, Big Mac.... No, I don't care if he does but I would vote no. Homers? Is that the basis for the hall now? I never really viewed him as a real good player, and I never really heard much about him excet for the 70 season, although you did hear about "The Bash Brothers" and so on.

Pete Rose should be in the hall... until that day comes.... it's a joke.

LOCKS FOR THE HALL OF FAME:

Roger Clemens

Greg Maddux

Rickey Henderson

Ken Griffey Jr.

Barry Bonds

Alex Rodriguez

Tony Gwynn

Cal Ripken Jr.

Randy Johnson

SECOND BALLOT MAY BE THE CHARM:

Derek Jeter

Mark McGwire

Rafael Palmeiro

Mariano Rivera

ON THE FENCE RIGHT NOW:

Goose Gossage

Bruce Sutter

Jim Rice

Don Mattingly

Lee Smith

WILL BE ON THE FENCE WHEN THEIR TIME COMES AROUND:

Edgar Martinez

Andres Galaragga

Tim Raines

Pedro is a lock. I believe Bernie will make it too, perhaps of his last days of elegibility.

Manny Ramirez has potential based on his feared numbers. Of the Red Sox offensive lineup, he is the only one that I think will make it. Big Papi wont.

Of the guys that have numbers to get there at some point, I think Carlos Beltran and Miguel Cabrera have a good chance if they stay healthy and keep up their production numbers. Carlos Delgado I believe will have the numbers, but by the time he retires their will be many good first basemen in the ballots and that can make it tough. But they need to remember he has been a .300,30HR,100RBI guy for most of his career....in fact, I think he had 8 or 9 straight seasons with such numbers.

Roberto Alomar I think has the numbers to make it, he is one of the, if not the best second basemen of all time. Ivan Rodriguez and Mike Piazza are locks as catchers. Mariano Rivera and Trevor Hoffman better make it as closers. Tom Glavine has a chance, but I dont see him making it. Big Unit is a lock, I think he is the most dominant left hander of all time.

Well if you want to classify him as a second baseman (Though, since he played such a variety of positions it's hard to target him at just one) Rogers Hornsby is the greatest ever. I think he is in the Hall as a second baseman, and he won the Triple Crown AND MVP twice as a second baseman. Roberto Alomar is definitely going to get in the Hall though. Just look at his career numbers when put up against Hornsby. If it weren't for a few factors Alomar would be at 3,000 hits. His career average is .300 and he won the Gold Glove I think 9 times.