Baseball Play of the Year

Did anyone else see the Angels/A's highlights from last night (Aug 11)? If not, watch the last play of the game. It might be the single funniest blooper I've ever heard of.

So Frank Rodriguez is pitching, Eric Chavez hitting, and Bobby Crosby is on 2nd with Jason Kendall on 3rd. The pitch to Chaves is a decent pitch, but just barely outside and called as such. Rodriguez is upset at the call and half-heartedly sticks his glove out to field the return throw from one of the Flying Molina Brothers at catcher. The throw bounces off his glove, and Rodriguez walks over to pick it up.

In one of the greatest examples of baserunning and alertness I've ever seen, Kendall breaks from third to home. Rodriguez suddenly realizes he needs to hurry, fields the ball, and whips it back home -- about a foot away from the runner. There's no chance to make the tag, and Kendall scores the run. To make matters worse, it was the bottom of the ninth in what had been a tie game -- meaning the play ended the game and gave Oakland the win.

Absolutely brilliant baseball by Kendall. I realize there's an MLB thread, but this play may deserve its own topic.