Jimi Hendrix.

Krazy_K

I was only speaking from a technical standpoint. I'll admit that Hendrix's songs sound amazing, but on a literal level, the guy COULD NOT play guitar. He didn't know how. I'm really just playing Devil's Advocate here, but it's true.

But if he sounded amazing doing it, doesn't that mean he COULD play a guitar? You could also say Picasso couldn't paint because it wasn't exactly what art was "supposed" to look like. Maybe Hendrix didn't play like you're "supposed" to play, but music is art, and how you do it is all up to interpretation.

Hendrix was an amazing guitarist, with amazing contributions, but part of the reason I credit him for contributions is because I don't believe he's still the greatest guitarist of all time. He's just helped us get to the level of player we can find now.

I've gone through Hendrix-digging phases, but not in awhile.

I was only speaking from a technical standpoint. I'll admit that Hendrix's songs sound amazing, but on a literal level, the guy COULD NOT play guitar. He didn't know how. I'm really just playing Devil's Advocate here, but it's true.

But if he sounded amazing doing it, doesn't that mean he COULD play a guitar? You could also say Picasso couldn't paint because it wasn't exactly what art was "supposed" to look like. Maybe Hendrix didn't play like you're "supposed" to play, but music is art, and how you do it is all up to interpretation.

True, as I said, I was only playing Devil's Advocate. I appreciate that Hendrix was a truly incredible musician, but judging on a purely technical level, he admitted himself that he didn't know how to play a single scale or chord.

Meh, I'm backing out of this now before an argument starts.

Him saying that he doesn't know any scales or chords is a lie. He knows plenty of both. I've seen plenty of video, and read plenty of charts, and he has lots of stuff in there that makes musical sense.

Actually, I believe that what he said was that he was planning to start learning music theory, but then he died before that could happen. No question he knew as many barre chords, simplified chords, and scales as whoever those bands were listed on the other page.

Of course, there will be some overrating, but that's a matter of opinion. I remember when that first album came out where Eddie Van Halen did "Eruption". Everyone flipped their lids (even though the technique had been used before, on Kiss Alive2, but got no radio play) and said nobody is better, then Vai, then Malmsteen, all the same deal...

How you rate is so subjective. Some say Jimmy Page is a great player. Some say that he is a great composer, but not a great player. If you were on enough drugs when you heard him, it leaves an impression. An awful lot of people think that Pink Floyd is the best band ever, but when you dissect it, Gilmour is nowhere near the guitarist that any that we are talking about are (well, except for maybe Townsend...)

Some like the million mile an hour speed licks, some like Clapton to just hold a note that sounds great. I think Hendrix probably did more for the electric guitar than about anyone, like what the Beatles did for rock bands. Some say the Beatles are the best band ever because of their HUGE contribution to the progression of music, while someone else will say that Radiohead or System of a Down or Sugar Ray or Moby blows them away.

No accounting for taste, eh?

Guest Bluesman

I'll pick up where Skumfrog left off. Hendrix was, often times, a very poor technical guitarist. It's not a matter of being on Vai's or Satriani's level, it's a matter of not fucking up and sounding like shit, which he would do while playing live. The part about him not having guitar knowledge or musical knowledge is pure bullshit. Just because he didn't know it from a "theory" standpoint doesn't mean he didn't know it, ala SRV. His biggest problem would be when playing live he'd get a bit carried away 'experimenting' and he'd start playing some horrible crap. It's also untrue that he didn't want the guitar to be the lead of the band...he was OBSESSED with dubbing and production of his parts, recording so much that it drove other members crazy. At the same time, he went out of his way to be a showman onstage (ala Little Ritchie, who he played with), which takes away from the 'band as a whole' idea.

He's very similiar to Page in how highly overrated he is, as well as the technical problems playing live. Page's were far worse however, he would get progressively worse through a song ("Dazed and Confused" from How the West Was Won), to the point where the licks he played earlier get sloppier and off-rhythm. Both would play some horrible sounding garbage, however Hendrix's seemed more along the lines of experimentation while Page sounded like he didn't know what the fuck he was doing. It also needs to be said that, unfortunately, part of the adoration for Hendrix is drug-related, and it's a shame.

As far as guitarists better than Jimi Hendrix, I'll pick Jeff Beck. Hell I'll take Beck over anyone, and win everytime. He is incredibly diverse with what he can/has played, continues to progress and push himself further (unlike Page and Clapton), and has the circus 'tricks' and equipment mastery (he was using feedback and such before Hendrix) down. If I had to pick one thing, it would be the fact that he can play any musical style and play it very well.

I'll pick up where Skumfrog left off. Hendrix was, often times, a very poor technical guitarist. It's not a matter of being on Vai's or Satriani's level, it's a matter of not fucking up and sounding like shit, which he would do while playing live. The part about him not having guitar knowledge or musical knowledge is pure bullshit. Just because he didn't know it from a "theory" standpoint doesn't mean he didn't know it, ala SRV. His biggest problem would be when playing live he'd get a bit carried away 'experimenting' and he'd start playing some horrible crap. It's also untrue that he didn't want the guitar to be the lead of the band...he was OBSESSED with dubbing and production of his parts, recording so much that it drove other members crazy. At the same time, he went out of his way to be a showman onstage (ala Little Ritchie, who he played with), which takes away from the 'band as a whole' idea.

He's very similiar to Page in how highly overrated he is, as well as the technical problems playing live. Page's were far worse however, he would get progressively worse through a song ("Dazed and Confused" from How the West Was Won), to the point where the licks he played earlier get sloppier and off-rhythm. Both would play some horrible sounding garbage, however Hendrix's seemed more along the lines of experimentation while Page sounded like he didn't know what the fuck he was doing. It also needs to be said that, unfortunately, part of the adoration for Hendrix is drug-related, and it's a shame.

As far as guitarists better than Jimi Hendrix, I'll pick Jeff Beck. Hell I'll take Beck over anyone, and win everytime. He is incredibly diverse with what he can/has played, continues to progress and push himself further (unlike Page and Clapton), and has the circus 'tricks' and equipment mastery (he was using feedback and such before Hendrix) down. If I had to pick one thing, it would be the fact that he can play any musical style and play it very well.

is he over rated..of course. But he is still a good musician. He doesnt have very hard songs to play (purple haze was the first song i learned on my guitar) but he still changed the way people view music. People still love him whether he is over rated or not. They did a thing on vh1's best one hit wonders. The only one to crack the top 10 from hendrix on the charts was All Along The Watchtower, yet he still revolutionized the music world. While he may not be as good of a guitarist as Van Halen, Clapton, Satriani, etc. he still is a big name musician who has some great songs.