Nintendo Power Magazine 2006

Over at another forum I go to, they have monthly contests. This month's contest's rules were the following:

--[August Contest]--

Magazine Cover Remake.

Okay! Here is what you do: Pick a magazine, any PG-13 magazine, look at the cover of that magazine, and imagine what the cover will look like for August 2006.

Try to mimic the general style and logo of the magazine, if possible.

Resources: You may use any images you want for this contest, however, I ask that you avoid cutting out the title of the magazine from another issue, try to duplicate it yourself, okay?

Deadline: Midnight August 31, 2005

Limitations: 10 entries per member.

File Format: .jpg, .png, or .gif are best, .bmp is ok if you must.

Size: Please try to keep your submission less than 800px wide. ( you may submit a link to a lager version for people to view)

Best of luck to everyone!

I decided to do Nintendo Power Magazine. After mimicking their logo best as I could (They've got three styles to their logo--horizontal lines on the left, the right, or both. I'd chosen right), I then went about thinking what to put on the cover when it dawned on me.

My favorite fighting game, Super Smash Brothers, was having yet another sequel released for it next year. The release date is sometime between June and November, so I figured August would be fine in having it on the cover.

I came up with the idea of having an old television set playing the old game, and then went "Hmm...Nintendo owns Sonic the Hedgehog, and he's practically confirmed to be in the game. Nintendo and Sega had one of the biggest gaming rivalries going, with Mario and Sonic as their corporate mascots. Why not have the two most bitter of corporate rivals on the same cover?"

So...Sonic and Mario are on the front.

I honestly think I did a good job with this one, one of my favorite works yet. I based it off of this, in that it was the only game mentioned on the page.

So without any further wait, here it is. Ratings/Comments/Criticism appreciated!

NintendoPower.jpg

Think that looks fab.

It so fits together. The text is perfect, the colouring is perfect and so is the placement of nearly everything else. I like the tele job, I've tried it before and it's a lovely effect when you can make it look good like you have. Love how you've got Sonic and Mario looking as if they're properly added in and not just a poor cut out if you get me. The Nintendo text with the lines is sweet too.

So yeah, for me that cover looks badass. It's looks professional how a magazine would look, great work.

It's good, I like it. But there's some stuff I think could be improved.

I think the SSBRevo text should go behind the characters for a start.

But yeah, it's good.

I'd actually considered that but didn't follow through with it...I'll have to see how that looks (Y)

Alright, moved the text behind the characters...tell me what you guys think

NintendoPower2.jpg

Pretty good, but I am not feeling the background color. It's not bad, it just seems to clash with both Mario and Sonic.

I'm not really a fan of Sonic and Mario just standing there. It's a SSB shot, so personally, I'd prefer to see them facing off.

That, and if this was sent to a subscriber, some part of it would be cut off by the addressing sticker. Might want to shrink the bottom text some and leave space for that, if you're gunning for realism.

loving the cover . maybe a different background would be better but with the text and etc the background fits. My only suggestion would be maybe having mario and Sonic fighting it out behind the tv. Good job overall though as this is a quality piece.

oh and I want to hear more about this other forum ----CoughcoughcoughPOSTLINKCoughcoughcough--- ;)

It'd be hard to get a 3D shot of Sonic and Mario fighting it out, hence why I have them standing there by the television. Plus, the background's supposed to be a hardwood wall, as that was the same background to the picture of the television, lol

Tried left-siding the 'It's A' and right-siding the 'Success!' like you suggested...I think it came out nice, actually.

NintendoPower3.jpg