NBA Live or 2k6

thuganomic

If you do, they gonna find pieces of you in eight different dumpsters.

Don't support the monopoly! Rebel! Rebel!

I got Live yesterday for my birthday, played one game with the Cavs against the Raptors. Lost 60-58.

The games graphics didn't impress me that much, they almost looked worse...maybe it was just late, I don't know.

The rest of the game is cool, the superstar thing where you press L1 then a button hasn't really got me yet...I messed around with it twice but thats all.

I doubt I'll buy any ESPN game though, regardless of how bad EA's is.

I just dislike the series and have always been with EA.

If I get either it'll most likely be ESPN...I've always found it better than Live, and it being cheap doesn't hurt. Dunno if I'll actually be getting it or not...most likely I'm just gonna put it down on my Christmas list or something and maybe pick it up later. I'll probably just save my money for College Hoops 2k6.

Got 2K6....great game, much improved than 2K5. Graphics are better, the new shot stick and rip stick are awesome, it feels so natural to use them. Up for jump shot, left or right to try and do leaners, back for fadeaway jumper. You time your shot by releasing the stick when you want the ball to come off your hands and it's very realistic. It also works this way with the modifiers for layups and dunks, and also in the post. You can back people up with someone like Shaq and use the shot stick and the modifiers, left or right for a turn around jumper in those directions, back for a turnaround fadeaway or hook shot and up to try and slam the ball over the defense. It's hard to explain, but it feels so natural that you are going to end up wondering why it took them so long. They do have a standard shoot button just in case you dont like the shot stick. The stick also works for defense, called the rip stick. Left and right tries to swat the ball in those directions, down tries to pull the ball towards you and up tries to uppercut the ball into the air. Up also works for blocking when a shot is attempted.

The game is also more realistic with it's stats, so guys like Kidd and Nash have more sucess with modified passes, Korver and Redd are more accurate from 3 points, McGrady and VC have better dunks, Shaq is better in the post, Wade and Iverson are better ball handlers etc. You can actually feel this on their movements. The AI is also very tough, I used to beat the CPU by 20+ in Superstar last year, but now they pose even a challenge in Pro and so far, I have not beaten any team in All-Star.

The Association has improved also, you have more options and the menus are far simpler than last year. You can schedule practices a la NFL 2K series on non-game days and they have a notable feel on the games themselves. You can also play some minigames to increase a players ratings. Games like free throw challenge, defense challenge etc. You can also scout prospects all year long like in the college games, the Trade AI is smarter than last year and some other improvements.

The 24/7 mode is also better, now you can recruit players for your team and it has a nice story too as you try to get into the EBC, which is sort off a street ball tournament.

THE CRIB returns from NFL 2K and you can earn trophies, buy goods like sport shoes and minigames (God bless the air hockey table) and overall it feels a lot like the NFL 2K crib, so if you spent lots of time customizing and adorning your crib in that game, you can also do that here.

Oh and I forgot dual player control, which let's you issue orders to CPU a CPU teamate, telling him to cut to the basket, post up, come out for a three, come out from a screen etc.

I give it 9/10

Gamespot gave it 8.8

Not really...the announcers are different, but overall I think the presentation is better. It's basically the same without the constant mention of ESPN. Plus, it has some real ads and stuff that makes it realistic like the Gatorade "Around the Cooler" report, the "Power Bar Triple Threat" Replay and the "Toyota Key Match Up of the Game" among other things.

So far I have found the Association so much more realistic....at least the Trade AI has been fixed, with plenty of realistic trades. Injuries are more realistic too, with the ability to play some players with minor injuries(like sprained fingers) with reduced stats.

I got Live the first day it came out and I like it. Sometimes it's WAYYYY to easy to Dunk, and you do miss a lot of easy shots from time to time, but other than that, it's a fun Game. I'll probably try 2K6 as well.

Live just seems too arcade-like for me. It feels like a 3D NBA Jam to me. It's not a bad game, just not my cup of tea. 2K is pretty fun for the most part, except that on Pro difficulty I kill, but on all-pro, I get killed. I always have a hard time finding a good difficulty.

Overall, I like 2k more.

Live just seems too arcade-like for me. It feels like a 3D NBA Jam to me. It's not a bad game, just not my cup of tea. 2K is pretty fun for the most part, except that on Pro difficulty I kill, but on all-pro, I get killed. I always have a hard time finding a good difficulty.

Overall, I like 2k more.