Gamer sentenced to death

oldskool

Judge sentences gamer to death

20-year-old who used Grand Theft Auto as defense for triple homicide sentenced to lethal injection.

Earlier this year, Devin Moore, now 20, was on trial for the 2003 triple homicide of three Alabama policemen. While in detention for stealing a car, Moore grabbed the pistol of one officer and used it to fatally shoot a total of three of them.

The defense mounted a case based on a childhood full of mental and physical abuse, as well as an affinity for violent games. One game in particular, Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto III, was singled out, because gamers can steal cars and kill cops in it. Moore had said he was inspired by the PlayStation 2 game.

In August, a jury swiftly convicted Moore of the charges. And today, a judge laid down the most severe punishment the justice system allows.

Moore will be put to death by lethal injection. Defense attorney Jim Standridge will appeal the case.

The victims' families have sued Take-Two Interactive (parent company of Rockstar), Sony, Wal-Mart, and GameStop for their parts in the manufacturing and selling of the game.

By Tim Surette

20-year-old who used Grand Theft Auto as defense for triple homicide sentenced to lethal injection.

Earlier this year, Devin Moore, now 20, was on trial for the 2003 triple homicide of three Alabama policemen. While in detention for stealing a car, Moore grabbed the pistol of one officer and used it to fatally shoot a total of three of them.

The defense mounted a case based on a childhood full of mental and physical abuse, as well as an affinity for violent games. One game in particular, Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto III, was singled out, because gamers can steal cars and kill cops in it. Moore had said he was inspired by the PlayStation 2 game.

In August, a jury swiftly convicted Moore of the charges. And today, a judge laid down the most severe punishment the justice system allows.

Moore will be put to death by lethal injection. Defense attorney Jim Standridge will appeal the case.

The victims' families have sued Take-Two Interactive (parent company of Rockstar), Sony, Wal-Mart, and GameStop for their parts in the manufacturing and selling of the game.

By Tim Surette

By Tim Surette

I think the victim’s families refers to the people he killed rather than the guy given the lethal injection.

I hate twats like this who either can't draw the line between reality and fantasy or simply use the video game to try and get out of shit they did. Glad the guy is getting the lethal injection.

Interestingly, if he was too young when he brought the game then surely only the shop that sold it to him could be sued? Although he may of brought it when he was of age a couple of years after release I guess.

It’s idiots like him who might end up getting great games like San Andreas band and it really pisses me off.

EDIT: I've been playing Final Fantasy 10 recently, does this mean i have to run around killing people with my mighty sword and casting magic, perhaps i should level myself up too?

Edited by Visionary

Your magic is too weak for me Visionary. I will overwhelm you by stalking through the undergrowth with my face painted in camo style, and slit your throat with my knife on my way to killing Big Boss. :shuriken:

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Honestly, if his best defense was because he saw it on a video game, then he deserves the punishment for triple murder.

However, I hope that the defense attorneys did bring up a psychologist/psychiatrist and that they mentioned the study that violent video games do not lead to deviant behaviour for normal children, rather violent media simply accentuates already violent behaviour in deviant children.

A gamer isn't sentenced to murder. An idiot is.

And I've been playng San Andreas over the last week. I've killed maybe 3,000 people so far. I'm not about to kill anyone in real life. Well, maybe if they piss me off a bit. <_<

(¬_¬)

A gamer isn't sentenced to murder. An idiot is.

And I've been playng San Andreas over the last week. I've killed maybe 3,000 people so far. I'm not about to kill anyone in real life. Well, maybe if they piss me off a bit. <_<

(¬_¬)

Pop a cap in their asses homeboy

Your magic is too weak for me Visionary. I will overwhelm you by stalking through the undergrowth with my face painted in camo style, and slit your throat with my knife on my way to killing Big Boss. :shuriken:

I once played CivIII from scratch with all the cool civs and nothing stupid (like America as a Civ). The game ended and there hadn't been a single war. That was a great game too. I had the British take over Britain, Ireland, parts of Scandinavia, the entirity of North and South America, Australia (and misc islands) and part of North Asia. And I think I had some bits on the west coast of Africa. Most of my land I took from other countries was from cultural absorbion.

So if I ever get charged with being too popular with the natives, I'll know what to blame.

I could have done the United Nations thing, but decided not to and just kept postponing it. I could actually go back and keep playing (it's like 2050 or something now).

And nobody started wars with me because I was just too powerful. I was buddies with all the cool civs (Japan, France, Rome, Greece, Vikings, Zulus, China, Egypt, Russia). Not to sound typical, but the Arabs were fucking annoying. 'GET OFF THE LAND OF ALLAH'. I swear to God, that happened like EVERY turn I took. I also think I had about a thousand ships by the time I finished.

I think I won through having so much power or culture. My original plan was to team up with other big civs, take out the smaller ones, and repeat the process until it was just me and China left (you just know it would be China).

Barbarians are also annoying.

Anytime anyone wanted something from me I'd go into the negotiations screen, take away the proposal, offer the same thing again and see what they'd give me for it (since they apparently want it so much). I also had a constant of 0 Gold. But anyways...Civ4's coming soon, but my PC can't run it. :(

And nobody started wars with me because I was just too powerful. I was buddies with all the cool civs (Japan, France, Rome, Greece, Vikings, Zulus, China, Egypt, Russia). Not to sound typical, but the Arabs were fucking annoying. 'GET OFF THE LAND OF ALLAH'. I swear to God, that happened like EVERY turn I took. I also think I had about a thousand ships by the time I finished.

Zulus, sir! Thousands of 'em!

You've just made me incredibly tempted to start a game as the Zulus and lead them to world domination.