Evangelion on AdultSwim.

MalaCloudy Black

It's apparently started, I just have AS on in the background while I sit here, and Neon Genesis Evangelion is on. I'm assuming it airs on Saturdays & Thursdays.

Just a heads up.

And I don't know how censorship is. Is there anything extreme that AS would censor in the show (stokerino, I'm looking at you, you've seen it before?)

Yeah, I know. I've been watching AS on Saturdays for.. well, a while now, and they've only made passing mention of it from what I've seen.

Still, regardless of the censorship (of which there didn't seem to be much in the episode), it still remains: Eva...was on American cable TV. It was beautiful...simply beautiful.

I can't think of anything especially censorable for at least the first half of the series (but then, I don't know what AS are like...)

Then of course there are episodes like #18 or #22, which some censors might be tempted to cut down to just 10 minutes a piece. You're not going to get the director's cut version of #22, I can tell you that now. :shifty:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Evangelion owns your soul.

I can't think of anything especially censorable for at least the first half of the series (but then, I don't know what AS are like...)

Then of course there are episodes like #18 or #22, which some censors might be tempted to cut down to just 10 minutes a piece. You're not going to get the director's cut version of #22, I can tell you that now. :shifty:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Evangelion owns your soul.

They've gotten more lax on censorship, lately -- what with shows like The Boondocks (which I'm expecting to be rated MA) and Stroker & Hoop (which is rated MA). However, I've never seen Eva so I wouldn't know what kind of things would be censored; I'll probably pick up a DVD and compare.

Boondocks is, infact, rated MA. At least that's what the commercials are saying.

I saw the 3:30 am replay of Evangelion, and holy shit! the animation looks downright ancient. After years of watching anime like Cowboy Bebop, Excel Saga, Full Metal Alchemist, Paranoia Agent, ect, ect. The animation style, coloring, and shaky picture make Eva look like something from out of the mid-80s.

Boondocks is, infact, rated MA. At least that's what the commercials are saying.

I saw the 3:30 am replay of Evangelion, and holy shit! the animation looks downright ancient. After years of watching anime like Cowboy Bebop, Excel Saga, Full Metal Alchemist, Paranoia Agent, ect, ect. The animation style, coloring, and shaky picture make Eva look like something from out of the mid-80s.

Bebop and Excel aren't too much later than Evangelion, being of 1998 and 1999 vintage respectively. Evangelion first aired in 1995, and you have to remember that their budget was limited and mainly concentrated into the fight scenes. Not to mention it was before the mainstream application of CG.

Besides, there are anime airing today that look crapper than Evangelion. It's all a matter of budget and artistic competance, even if the new ones try to blag their way through it with as much shiny CG as possible (cough, Final Fantasy Unlimited, cough).

If you compare Eva to something out of the mid-80s, you ought to be shown something that's REALLY that old to see the difference. >_>

Bebop and Excel aren't too much later than Evangelion, being of 1998 and 1999 vintage respectively. Evangelion first aired in 1995, and you have to remember that their budget was limited and mainly concentrated into the fight scenes. Not to mention it was before the mainstream application of CG.

Besides, there are anime airing today that look crapper than Evangelion. It's all a matter of budget and artistic competance, even if the new ones try to blag their way through it with as much shiny CG as possible (cough, Final Fantasy Unlimited, cough).

If you compare Eva to something out of the mid-80s, you ought to be shown something that's REALLY that old to see the difference. >_>

You forgot to mention they went over-budget with Evangelion. I've seen the series numerous times so haven't bothered catching it on AS. But, if you haven't watched it, you must. Without a doubt my favorite anime series ever.

Well...they weren't overbudget in episode 1, which is what he was referring to. >_>

I loved it when the show was forced to cut corners later on. They managed to do it in ways that added to the show and gave it meaning, rather than simply being cheap for the sake of cheapness.

The 40-50-odd second still frame of Asuka and Rei in the lift together in episode 22 (I think?) makes you uncomfortable just *watching* it...

Guest xmovingpicturesx

i think i'm in love with this series. really, the BEST mecha/war related anime/manga ever. i just caught it, and it blew me away. only one problem... is it pronounced "e-van-gel-ion" or e-van-gell-ian?" i'm pretty sure it's the latter, but just wanted to make sure.

Yeah, it's not like it's entirely mecha-orientated like some more mediocre series I could mention... Besides, *techically* they're not mecha at all. :shifty:

As for the pronounciation, the "e-van-gell-ian" seems to fit best - but for the love of God, pronounce the first syllable "eh" (like 'egg') rather than "ee" (like 'evil'). Touji's English VA pronounces it as "ee" for most of the series, and it bugs me no end. ¬_¬

Edited by stokeriño

...But it's got nothing to do with the English word. ¬_¬

And the cross-shaped explosions - much like the TONNES of Christian iconography splattered throughout the entire series, is largely used because it's, well, cool. >_> You've got everything from Lilith to the Tree of Life in here...

The director of Evangelion said in interviews that the biblical references were all mere plot devices. So, it's all intentional.

If you educate yourself on the biblical references it makes so much sense and can really add to the story.

<---12 year Catholic school student, knows his shit.