Dillinger Escape Plan fucking killed me

RPS

Dillinger Escape Plan came to Canada for a 5 or 6 date tour; and let me just say that having seen them once before, my expectations were high.

They was 2 local bands opening, typical run of the mill hardcore bands. I stood to the side as shit heads kids did their hardcore dancing. For those who are unaware of this practice let me explain; kids punch, kick, swat, whatever you wanna call it... thin air as they dance. They don't really give a shit if anyone is in their general area and if they hit them.

I got to the front of the stage for Between the Buried and Me; and I wasn't disappointed. I never heard of them before, but man did they fucking rock. They had a keyboard player and their tunes were tight. One problem; they totally lacked stage presence. For a hardcore show, you got to have stage theatrics to get by, I seemed kind of bored.

Dillinger were the last band to take the stage and they had a lot of shit. They have strobe-lights, a projector and some other lights. Took a solid 20 minutes to set up; but it was well worth it. I was at the very front; their was nothing blocking me from the two foot stage where these gods of hardcore performed.

They hit the stage and immediately busted out into a tune; Greg, the lead singer, forearmed me in the face while he jumped into the audience. He grabbed the mic stand and threw it across the stage at a wall. He took a black step ladder and threw it to the audience. He grabbed me by the throat, put the mic to my mouth and let me scream along with him. All within the first song. It doesn't even slow down one bit. It is pure insanity the entire night.

They played all of their fucking great tunes. Sugar Coated Sour, 43% Burnt, Hollywood Squares, When Good Dogs Do Bad Things, first 3 songs off Miss Machine, Babys First Coffin. Oh god, I don't think my voice will be the same from screaming along.

The guys have such insane presence on the stage; they just don't give a fuck about anything. Some people would say these guys are horrible and all that garble, but really you've got to respect them. They are talented musicians, they aren't afraid to be different and having seen them on two occassions, they put everything into every single performance. Some musicians can go out there and not care about their fans; but Dillinger do everything on stage for the fans. After the show, Greg the lead singer when through the audience high fiving the fans and thanking us all for coming.

My suggestion to whoever likes hardcore music - if you can EVER see Dillinger live, do it. Doesn't matter the price, it'll probably be low, or the venue, if you can see ONE band live ... make it Dillinger Escape Plan.

The D.E.P destroy all, I' ve seen them live about 6 times in the UK, and I fucking loved them everytime.

Seeing them support SOAD on both nights in a row an Manchester was fucking awesome, equally as good both nights. Their Leeds Fesival 2004 appearance was truely insane, I think they've been banned from Leeds after taht show.

Seeing them support SOAD on both nights in a row an Manchester was fucking awesome, equally as good both nights. Their Leeds Fesival 2004 appearance was truely insane, I think they've been banned from Leeds after taht show.

I think what makes me love them so much more is the two times I saw them, they played their more recongized songs and than asked the audience "what the fuck do you want to hear?" It just made me believe they do absolutely everything on stage for their fans.