Reminder For American Anime Fans

MalaCloudy Black

Starting tonight and running for every Thursday this month, Turner Classic Movies will be airing Miyazaki films.

TONIGHT

8:00 PM Spirited Away (2002)

10:15 PM Princess Mononoke (1999)

1:00 AM Spirited Away (2002)

3:15 AM Princess Mononoke (1999)

Thurday Jan 12th

8:00 PM Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind (1984)

10:00 PM Castle in the Sky (1986)

12:15 AM Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind (1984)

2:15 AM Castle in the Sky (1986)

Thurdsay Jan 19th

8:00 PM My Neighbor Totoro (1993)

9:30 PM Porco Rosso (1992)

11:15 PM Whisper of the Heart (1995)

1:15 AM My Neighbor Totoro (1993)

2:45 AM Porco Rosso (1992)

4:30 AM Whisper of the Heart (1995)

Thursday Jan 26th

8:00 PM Only Yesterday (1991)

10:15 PM Pom Poko (1994)

12:30 AM Only Yesterday (1991)

2:45 AM Pom Poko (1994)

I get the impression that they're starting off with the "big guns", and have a sliding scale downwards in perceived quality from there on in. That said, I always enjoyed Totoro better than Nausicaa (Caaat Bus!), and Porco Rosso is a great romp as well (it's a frikkin PIG being an ITALIAN BIPLANE ACE).

I don't know what Only Yesterday and Pom Poko are, but I can only assume that they're the dregs that Studio Ghibli threw in as part of their package. :shifty:

I have never heard of any television channel airing a subbed production when a dubbed version exists.

Yes, well, hope springs eternal.

If the showings of Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are any indication, TCM's starting with the dubbed versions first and then showing the subtitled versions afterwards. Not a bad concept, barring the fact that I really like the voice casts for Miyazaki's flicks and therefore will see no need to watch the subtitled version instead.

This actually works out really well for me since with Satellite TV on the west coast things air three hours earlier than they would if I had cable.

... or would if I had TCM, which I think I don't, now that I think about it.

Ah, that's why I've not heard of those other films before. Although Studio Ghibli, they're not Miyazakis and so exempt from the usual hype the others receive. ¬_¬

Whispered of the Heart looks good, while Only Yesterday sounds rather...dull. And then you have Pom Poko, where a bunch of raccoon-esque creatures (tanuki) band together to disrupt a government construction project. Ah, the classic children's tale. >_>