HDTV Questions

zero

Okay, so I finally broke down and bought an HDTV. This one in fact: Zero's TV, nothing too extravagant.

So I had some questions. I've been googling the hell out of "burn-in" and cannot find a definitive answer to save my life. All I can find is "burn-in can occur after static images remain on screen for an extended period of time." Well, what the fuck is "extended?" An hour? Four hours? Twenty-Four hours? I've also seen a lot of sites say LCDs are immune to burn-in, yet my owner's manual for the TV warns of it. Now, is the developer merely covering their asses by putting it in the manual, or are these sites full of shit? I just dropped $800 on this TV, I want to make sure it lasts, so if the techies here have any info about it, or anything else I need to know, please share. Thanks.

Okay, so I finally broke down and bought an HDTV. This one in fact: Zero's TV, nothing too extravagant.

So I had some questions. I've been googling the hell out of "burn-in" and cannot find a definitive answer to save my life. All I can find is "burn-in can occur after static images remain on screen for an extended period of time." Well, what the fuck is "extended?" An hour? Four hours? Twenty-Four hours? I've also seen a lot of sites say LCDs are immune to burn-in, yet my owner's manual for the TV warns of it. Now, is the developer merely covering their asses by putting it in the manual, or are these sites full of shit? I just dropped $800 on this TV, I want to make sure it lasts, so if the techies here have any info about it, or anything else I need to know, please share. Thanks.

To burn in you'd need to leave it on for like, a week to a month, probably more to be noticeable. Or at least that's what I remember someone saying it was.

Thanks Benj, anyone got something a little more definite to back that up? Like, let's say I leave CNN on for a long time with the ticker going across the bottom? Or I'm playing a video game?

I was told that if it was to happen, it'd need to be something like a month. And, I was told by someone who should know their stuff.

That's why LCD's are millions of times better than Plasma's.

Edited by Summers27

Yeah there's no reason to worry about burn in. They put it in the manual to cover their asses.

Where I work we have our LCD's going 24 hours a day and one day I turned one off to see if anything stuck on the screen. Nothing.

By the by, a lot of places claim the TV's are HD when in fact it's ED (Enhanced Definition). The TV, how many horizontal scanning lines does it have (i.e. is it 720p, 1080i)?

If it's anything less than 720p, then it's not an HDTV. If it's higher, then enjoy it. If you really want to enjoy your PS2, I'd reccomend getting HD cables for your PS2. I have them for my Xbox and you'll notice a difference on the newer games.