XBox 360

zero

So the 360 had what can be called the worst launch in the history of consoles, but now a few months later, I'm curious what 360 owners have to say about the system. Would you call it worth a purchase, or buying something you're gonna have to wait months to actually use? I've had an on-again off-again relationship with wanting a 360 and I still don't know whether or not I should throw down the cash. PD0 is a blast from what I've played, DOA4 looks awesome, and I don't own an Xbox so there's a lot of games I could buy on that as well. Is it worth the money or should I just talk myself out of it again?

I would personally wait for a little bit unless you want to get a few games coming out this month and next month. There are a few good games out there already(Call of Duty 2 and the two you mentioned), and later this month Full Auto and Fight Night Round 3 come out. FNR3 will be badass(since you can download the demo and play it), and there are a few more games coming out in March I think(Burnout Revenge, Battlefield 2).

I've definately enjoyed my console, and I'm glad I had to wait to get it until just two weeks ago, seeing as it hasn't froze or crapped out on me. I have 4 wireless controllers and the people on my dorm floor come over to play it all the time. I love the fact that you can download game demos and content as well, plus you get a free month of Xbox Live Gold to play around with. Best of all for people like me who have money but not a credit card account I can purchase subscriptions to it just about anywhere.

What made the 360 launch the worst in history? I heard a bit about how there wasn't enough supply, but yeah, I really didn't care enough to follow the stories too closely. I heard something about overheating systems too, but don't all systems have that at launch?

So yeah, what's the story?

Overheating systems, the infamous disc-grinding(if you move the system while it's spinning a disc, it makes a nasty grinding noise and puts a MONSTER groove in the disc, making it unusable), and the massive shortages.

Well, that and Madden 06 being completely gutted of the enjoyable features like Franchise mode didn't help.

Overheating systems, the infamous disc-grinding(if you move the system while it's spinning a disc, it makes a nasty grinding noise and puts a MONSTER groove in the disc, making it unusable), and the massive shortages.

Well, that and Madden 06 being completely gutted of the enjoyable features like Franchise mode didn't help.

Shortage of supply, ridiculous amounts of hype with almost zero payoff, no must-have games, last-minute delays of anticipated launch games, rushed launch and everything else that has been mentioned.

I'm glad I purchased it at launch. COD2 is excellent and Madden, despite not having the features of the other platforms is head and shoulders above the others in terms of gameplay and graphics. It's just a little over a month away until the second wave, and even shorter for some (Resident Evil 5 in particular). The second wave of games looks awesome IMO with RE5, Elder Scrolls, Fight Night, the beefed up Battlefield 2, Gears Of War, Ghost Recon 3, theres almost too many to name that look good to spectacular.

The launch may have been bad, but that's the price when you try to launch in every major market at pretty much the same time and I think the figures came in at 1.5 to 2 million consoles sold worldwide which is still a hefty figure and of that arouynd 2.5% have been defective, which is a pretty decent figure considering the type of hardware.

From what I've been told, PDZ and PGR3 are the only games that are worth getting the console for (along with future games obviously).

I decided against getting one right now, mainly because I don't want a faulty machine. The subsequent machines after launch tend to be far less buggy. And without any games I really want, I'm content just to play on my Xbox for now. And besides, the prices should be lower within weeks, as stocks refill.

I saw two of these in my local Wal-Mart the other week, it was the first time i'd seen any in stores. I've not heard of any good games except maybe Call Of Duty. I wouldn't buy it, i'd probably wait and buy a new PS3.

I'm getting a PS3 regardless, but as always with Sony machines, the hardware will suck in the first run so I'll probably wait until this time next year to get one. I'm not looking for this thread to turn into a console war, I'm just looking for opinions on the console.

Like LB, I only recently got my X-Box 360 and I'm enjoying COD 2 and NBA 2K6 quite a bit. The system has a nice interface with some decent additions such as downloading movie trailers and game demos. I haven't really seen many games I want to grab right now and the main reason for me to pick up the console was because I had the money right then and had a system available to be picked up. However, the only things that really bothers me is the steep price of the game and the lack of really good looking games out/coming out very soon.

The system right now isn't for someone looking to play tons of really great games however, which was my original intent but after I've messed around with it abit I've enjoyed some of the small additions that make it more than just a gaming system. And, I hadn't played a NBA game since NBA Live '99 so NBA 2k6 has been quite fun for me and Call Of Duty 2 has been a very solid shooter/action game.

I would definently not recommend the system at current prices unless you have an HDTV, I have a standard TV and excluding a few games(PGR3, FNR3) the games look and play almost exactly like the XBOX games. Also, PD0 was a tad disappointing

That being said, I think the problems with the system were exaggerated. About 5% of the systems were faulty which is actually quite normal in manufacturing as there will never be a system with absolutly no problems. And the thing with the disc is stupid anyway, who would move the system while playing anyway? It only scratches it if the system is on and the DVD is spinning