WWF 1998

Lord Nibbler

Raw Is War was pretty good this week. I liked the ending especially. I can't wait to see what will happen when Kane shows up. I wonder what McMahon's big announcement is. Austin versus Rock is going to be quite good, Though, Rock won't win it, And the IC title will just end up being put in a tournament, Which could be good, Depending on who wins it. Who's playing Mero's new chick? Beulah? Unforgiven is looking good, Can't wait to see what will happen. (Y)

BTW, The new format is much better.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IPB Image

Shotgun Saturday Night. Charlotte, NC. April 25th 1998 (live)

Scott Taylor vs. TAKA Michinoku

TAKA Michinoku gets a non-title warm-up match for Unforgiven. Some more top quality light heavyweight action, unfortunately the crowd were pretty dead. TAKA picked up the win with his Michinoku driver and celebrated with his title post-match.

Next up was a pre-taped interview with Sunny and LOD 2000. Sunny said that she had taken a classic tag team and brought them up to date for the 21st Century. Animal said that Foley and Funk didn't know what Hardcore was, and threatened to rip off Jack's other ear. Hawk said he was going to put Chainsaw Charlie into a long-overdue retirement...and this time it would be permanent.

The Headbangers vs. The New Midnight Express

The Express were on their own, no Jim Cornette at ringside. Didn't matter, though, as they picked up the win in a close-fought match. The Headbangers set Gunn up for the Stage Dive, but Holly pushed Thrasher off the top rope. The New Midnight Express then set Mosh up and finished him off with the Veg-O-Matic.

Marc Mero vs. Flash Funk

Mero was accompanied by his new valet Cookie, who positioned herself at ringside trash-talking with the fans. She has a mouth like a sailor. Mero picked up the win thanks to Cookie distracted the referee. Mero hit a low blow and the TKO to pick up the three count. Sable raced down to the ring afterwards, but Mero and Cookie bailed.

Steve Corino joined Cole and Russo for an interview. He said that he was the future of wrestling, but until like a lot of modern wrestlers he said he was a traditionalist. He put himself over as a "student of the game". He name-dropped the Anderson, Flair, Blanchard and Harley Race as influences, and said that his name would be added to that list in years to come. He put over Cornette as a genius, and said that with Vader as the "jewel in the crown of Camp Cornette" that they would soon be wearing gold.

Jerry Lawler and Brian Christopher vs. Super Crazy and Jimmy Snuka

Snuka spent most of the match on the apron, as the Lawlers double-teamed Crazy. Super Crazy's fast-paced offence kept proving too much for The King, and he'd tag out to Brian Christopher. Eventually Snuka made the hot tag and cleaned house. Super Crazy hit a brainbuster on Brian Christopher, Snuka hit the Superfly Splash and then Super Crazy hit a moonsault for the three-count.

Good Shotgun. I'm glad the lightheavyweights are getting pushed so well. Nice to see Dawn Marie in the WWF as well. She'll make a good valet for Mero. Is Jimmy Snuka like a on a writting deal? Or is he just being used for the lightheavyweight tournament? I'm glad to see The New Midnight Express getting a win, As I might have been the only "Bodacious" Bart and "Bombastic" Bob fan at the time. I hope they get pushed. I like Corino and all, But I hope you take it slow with him. Don't push him too much right away. Regal coming in is great, And he'll definitely be a bright spot on the roster.

BTW, Are you posting a final card for Unforgiven so we can leave predictions?

Keep up the good work, Doc. (Y)

IPB Image

WWF Unforgiven preview

WWF World Championship/WWF Intercontinental Championship

Lumberjack Match

'Stone Cold' Steve Austin vs. The Rock

The Undertaker vs. Vader

WWF Tag Team Championship

Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie vs. L.O.D. 2000

Ken Shamrock vs. Jeff Jarrett

WWF European Championship

Triple H vs. Goldust

Owen Hart and Lance Storm vs. The New Age Outlaws

WWF Light Heavyweight Title

TAKA Michinoku vs. Super Crazy

Plus...Vince McMahon's "huge" announcement.

Lumberjack Match

The Undertaker vs. Vader

Triple H vs. Goldust

WWF Unforgiven preview

Lumberjack Match

Austin is your biggest draw and he just won the title. No way is he losing the title here. I only see Austin losing the title to the returning HBK, Whenever that happens. Rock loses his title, Which will be put up in a tournament or something.

The Undertaker vs. Vader

While you are trying to restablish Vader as a monster, Undertaker needs the win here more in my opinion to keep the Kane storyline strong. Maybe Taker wins it by DQ so Vader looks strong?

I have a feeling LOD's new attitude will take them far. Besides, Cactus Jack should be used as a singles wrestler. I'd love to see Jack turn on Charlie here, So they could feud with one another.

While I marked for Double J like a bitch back then, Shamrock is the one who should get pushed here. Should be a great battle though.

Triple H vs. Goldust

I don't know, I could see Goldust winning it just so HHH could move away from the European title, But I don't think Goldust is the one to beat HHH. Plus, HHH just took over the leadership spot in DX, It would make him look weak losing here.

Hopefully next month Owen will be in singles action. Anyways, Storm and Owen win it here because I just don't see the Outlaws defeating them.

Could go either way, But I have a feeling Cage will cost Taka this match so he could get Crazy all to himself.

Lumberjack Match

Austin is the man here. Rock will get a better shot later, but just not yet.

The Undertaker vs. Vader

This was the toughest match to predict. Does the storyline continue by Taker's win, or does Vader get a major push? I went with Taker, because Vader can get a win back later to keep his push going.

Hewey's right but I think it should be Terry doing the turning on Cactus.

Aztec Warrior for the win.

Triple H vs. Goldust

I can see this boiling over into a six-man at OTE, so probably a win after Owen comes in and beats the piss out of Hunter.

Interference from DX to continue Owen vs Everyone.

Like Hewey said, Cage will probably interfere to get revenge.

WWF Unforgiven preview

Lumberjack Match

I think it has to be Austin who retains here. taking the belt off him at this stage would be suicide, although it leaves me wondering what you could do with The Rock next......I'm thinking Austin.

The Undertaker vs. Vader

This one I'm really not sure about. Vader is on a push, but Vader winning and moving on to Kane would make 'Taker look weaker than both of them. Vader losing could mean the end of the push/storyline, unless Kane comes back and causes a DQ finish. Kane attacking Vader (causing the Vader win) would be best for the storyline, but I'd like Kane to attack The Undertaker too. I feel that Kane and Undertaker would be better apart for now, and it would let you keep this three way fued going for another month or so. So Vader by DQ

There weren't many good tag teams at the start of 1998, so you have to buy some time with these teams while you establish some others. I think you've had time to build up some other teams, like NME for example. I'd like to see LOD 2000 win this, as Cactus Jack vs Chainsaw Charlie could give you a decent fued, while LOD now have other teams to battle against. LOD 2000 to win the belts

You don't have many main eventers or upper midcarders, simply because this is 1998, so you need to work on building them up as quickly as you can. Ken Shamrock is much closer to this area than Jarrett and is a good performer so I'd love to see him get a push to somewhere around the IC Title area, even if he doesn't get the belt. Jarrett can be pushed once you've established some stars. Shamrock for the win.

Triple H vs. Goldust

Part of me hopes that HHH loses the European Title here, because he's ready to move on to bigger and better things, but the way you've drawn more people into leads me to believe this storyline isn't over, and it just seems a bit strange to have a title change now, as it will be a face win over a heel and will kill the heat of the fued. So I'm guessing HHH to retain, and the fued to continue

These guys have been involved the the HHH/Goldust fued, and I can see it all developing further. A NAO win here would mean D-X got the clean sweep over the faces, and would mean there was little chance of both fueds carrying on, especially witht he overlapping thats been going on. So I would back Hart and Storm to take the win in this match, making this fued spill over to Over the Edge.

I'm gonna go against the crowd and go for Taka Michinoku. He's one of themost talented lightweights in the game (in most of the 1998 scenarios) so putting the belt on him will have a strong leader of the division, and you can have some awesome fueds with Taka involved. He'd be a good choice as an established star to take the belt forward while you continue to build up your lightheavyweights.

Lumberjack Match

Maybe a brawl to a no contest? But if that doesn't happen, then Austin needs to retain.

The Undertaker vs. Vader

Very tough...I'll say No Contest through Kane interference.

LOD 2000...make Cactus turn on Charlie.

Shamrock do win, he's a better talent.

Triple H vs. Goldust

Let this feud continue, and HHH won't look bad by winning here.

Maybe by cheating or interference? But, NAO will take the victory over the Canadians.

I'm a Crazy fan, but TAKA is great. These two should be involved in a proper feud before Crazy takes the belt off him.

Unforgiven might not be up until next weekend - I'm back at Uni tomorrow and I've got some assignment deadlines coming up - so I thought I'd better post something to fill the gap. For starters, I thought you might like to take a little look at some of the faces you may be seeing on Monday Night RAW in the near future...

WWF Development Territories

In the past month we've seen some new faces on Monday Night RAW. Jason Cage debuted and walked into a feud with Light Heavyweight Champion TAKA Michinoku, Martyr has been a Shotgun mainstay, picking up wins over Steve Blackman, Steve Corino debuted this past Monday as a member of Camp Cornette, and Mexican luchadore Super Crazy has earned himself a title shot at his very first Pay-Per-View this Sunday. Many in the know are pointing towards WWF's current developmental talents as the best they've seen, and fans could see more of them making it onto the full roster in coming weeks.

Here's our Top 10 WWF Developmental Prospects.

10. Darren Drozdov

The former Denver Bronco was signed not for his wrestling ability, but for his ability to vomit on demand. Said to have shown a decent propensity to pro wrestling, Drozdov's quirky personality - tattoos, piercings and the aforementioned vomiting - could be his ticket to the main stage.

9. Joe E. Legend

The Canadian Joe E. Legend is a former stable-mate of Jason "Cage" Reso as well as two of the other men on this list. Legend is a good all-around talent with a good look. Legend uses a mixture of power and technical wrestling, though he's no hoss. At 29 years of age, Legend could finally get his big break.

8. Rhino Richards

The second member of the aforementioned stable, 'Rhino' Richards is the only non-Canadian of the group. Unlike the other three, Richards uses a more power-based style. He acted as the muscle of the group, using his running spear finisher to take out opponents. The only thing holding him back from a WWF debut is probably his size. Though he's built well, he's shorter than many of the WWF roster and this may harm his chances of getting a WWF call-up.

7. Mike Lockwood

Standing at just 5'10", Lockwood wrestled previously under the name "The Leprechaun". Despite the gimmick, his talents were obviously immediate and in January of this year Lockwood was signed to a developmental contract and sent to MPPW. With the WWF's Light Heavyweight division taking off, Lockwood might get an early call up. His mixture of aerial and technical offence would suit the division well, and his charismatic nature makes him very storyline-friendly.

6. Scott Borders

Despite being just 27, the man from Ontario has wrestled all over the globe. He spent a year wrestling in England under the name Scott Borders before heading to the States, then to Puerto Rico and then to Mexico where he was the masked "Steel". Like his fellow Canadians on the list, Borders has a good look and more than enough ring ability to get by.

5. Steve Bradley

Often compared to ECW's Rob Van Dam - due to his martial arts leanings - Bradley is one of the rookie talents thought to have a big future in the WWF. A talented and charismatic performer, Bradley's been battling against Kurt Angle as of late. Bradley's been wrestling since the age of 15, and his hard work may soon pay off.

4. Adam Copeland

The young Canadian looks every bit the WWF Superstar. Former tag team partner of Jason "Cage" Reso, many expected the two to be brought up as a tag team. WWF's focus on the Light Heavyweight Title meant that Cage got the call-up before Copeland did, but Copeland may not be far behind him.

3. Andrew Martin

At 6'7" and 280lbs, Martin certainly has the right build to make it in the WWF. He appeared on RAW under a mask as Kane, though this isn't likely to lead to a full time role. He's been described as a more mobile Kevin Nash, and some people have suggested that he might take play a Diesel-like role when he gets called up.

2. The Hardy Brothers

Matt and Jeff Hardy are relative veterans, despite being just 24 and 21 respectively. The Hardy's have been with the WWF since around 1993, when they were both just teenagers. Recently the brothers have been impressing fans and critics alike with their high-energy style. Jeff Hardy's made two appearances on Shotgun under the mask of "Willow the Whisp" and higher-ups were reportedly very happy with his work. Chances are, though, that the brothers will be brought up to the main WWF roster as a tag team, adding some youth and enthusiasm to the division. The question is, when?

1. Kurt Angle

One of the more high profile members of the Power Pro Wrestling roster. Kurt Angle won a Olympic Gold Medal in 1996, and later that year appeared in ECW - albeit for one night only. Angle walked out of the building in protest at ECW's infamous "crucifixion" angle. This didn't put him off pro wrestling entirely, and earlier this year he signed to a WWF developmental deal. He's taken to pro wrestling like a fish to water, putting on a feud with Steve Bradley that's been impressing the critics.

So, when will these talents get their opportunity? The WWF's lack of real midcard talent means that any of these guys could be in line for a big debut and quick push. The presence of four Canadians on the list (Legend, Borders, Copeland and Martin) could prompt the WWF to bring in an all-Canadian stable. In fact, with Owen Hart and Lance Storm battling against D-Generation X, they could have an easy route to the main WWF roster. Lockwood and the Hardy Boys' chances of a call-up are better now than ever before, with the revitalised Light Heavyweight division. One or two quality matches, like the one on RAW this past Monday night, and they could establish themselves as stars. Lockwood's charisma gives him the edge over many of his fellow developmental talents, as does his more grounded style, which contrasts with that of TAKA Michinoku or Super Crazy, or indeed the Hardy Boys. Bradley and Angle have impressed management with their feud, and a call-up for either man wouldn't be out of the question. Angle's amateur background gives the WWF the opportunity to create the legitimate athlete main eventer that Mark Henry and Ken Shamrock have, so far, failed to become.

Whatever happens, the future looks bright. With the WWF's current crop of young stars beating WCW's old guard in the ratings again, it's a good time to be in the WWF.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rabidwolverine36

Sorry I know this is kinda old and has fallen back but its a great diary and I hope if once he has done his assignments at Uni Hipster can carry on

Sorry it's taken so long, I didn't realise just how much I had to do. It's 99% finished now, so I'll get it up tomorrow (my time).

Last chance for any stragglers to make their predictions. The winner will get to do something, not sure what.

IPB Image

WWF In Your House: Unforgiven

We get a video package which is, as ever, very well done. It focuses on the twists and turns in the WWF since WrestleMania, showing The Legion of Doom turning on Cactus and Chainsaw, Kane disappearing and Vader returning to attack The Undertaker, and the hate-triangle between The Rock, 'Stone Cold' and Faarooq.

We're in North Carolina for WWF Unforgiven on pay-per-view. Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler are at ringside ready to talk us through all the night's action. Cameras pan across the capacity crowd as J.R. talks up the main event and the big Undertaker/Vader match. Lawler reminds fans that Vince McMahon has a big announcement, and wonders what it's going to be.

TAKA MICHINOKU (champion) vs. SUPER CRAZY for the Light Heavyweight Title

The opening match is the WWF Light Heavyweight Title match, and Jim Ross reminds us how Super Crazy got here. A quick video recap highlights his wins over Scott Taylor and Brian Christopher, and his victory over Jason Cage in the finals.

The two cruisers show each some respect, shaking hands before the bell. They start off by matching each other move for move, lots of nicely executed armdrags and headscissorses. We soon see the first chop exchange of the night, resulting in some Ric Flair-style WOOOOO's from the crowd. Jim Ross reminds us what part of the country we're in. Super Crazy looks to hit the first high-risk move of the match, but his pescado to misses the mark and he ends up hitting the protective mats. TAKA shows him how it's done with a big springboard Asai moonsault to the floor. It almost results in a countout, but Crazy gets back into the ring at 8 and the action continues. A regular moonsault from TAKA, but Crazy gets the knees up. High angle tilt-a-whirl backbreaker get the challenger a two count. Jason Cage comes out with a chair, but explains to the referee that it's just for seating purposes. He takes a seat at the bottom of the ramp. Jim Ross questions his motives, but The King asserts that he's simply here to eye-up the competition. Super Crazy gets knocked to the outside with a baseball slide, and Cage goes over to check on him. Back in the ring TAKA goes to the high rent district for a moonsault, but Crazy runs up the turnbuckle and hits a super-armdrag! Great spot! Once both men get to their feet we get a Michinoku Driver attempt, but it's reversed. Crazy goes for a sneaky rollup but ends up being shoved to the outside. TAKA goes up top and looks like he's going to dive on Crazy, but Cage walks over to get in the way. TAKA hits the dive anyway, wiping them both out. Back in the ring it only gets a 2 count, as Crazy gets his feet on the ropes. Michinoku Driver reversed into a small package, just a two count! Crazy looks for a moonsault, TAKA climbs up after him and hits a super backdrop, float over...1..2...3! TAKA retains!

Handshake after the bell and TAKA raises Super Crazy's hand. Jason Cage slides in with his chair and wipes out both men. He grabs the Light Heavyweight Title and shoved it in TAKA's face.

THE NEW AGE OUTLAWS vs. OWEN HART and LANCE STORM

The Outlaws come out to boos from the audience. Road Dogg doesn't do his usual schtick on the mic. Storm and Hart are all business, getting straight in there. Storm and Road Dogg start things off and Storm takes early control. The Canadian uses his technical ability to dominate, but the Outlaws' tag team experience come into play. They make quick tags and keep Storm isolated in their corner. Storm gets a Sharpshooter locked in on Road Dogg, but Gunn quickly breaks it up. Owen and Gunn brawl on the outside, and Hart whips him into the steps. Hart and Storm double-team Road Dogg, hitting a Hart Attack. After order was restored, The New Age Outlaws again took it to Lance Storm. He manages to make the tag, but the referee missed it and orders Hart back onto the apron. The King jokes that the Hart family don't have much luck with referees. Billy Gunn goes to work with sharp jabs to the Canadian Storm. Big press slam shows off his impressive strength, and J.R. labels him "the best pure athlete in the WWF". King has no arguments there. Billy sets Storm up for a suplex of some sort, but he slips out the back. He uses the ropes to roll Gunn up into a pinning predicament. Road Dogg breaks up the pin. Owen rushes the ring, but the referee restrains him. Road Dogg and Billy Gunn hit a Hart Attack of their own, and get another near fall. Billy Gunn shows off his power, outmuscling Lance Storm. He looks for a Jackhammer, which he nails. Two-count. Billy looks for a piledriver, but Storm sweeps the legs. He goes for a Sharpshooter, but seeing Road Dogg getting in the ring, he abandoned the move and hit a superkick on the 'Dogg. Storm makes the hot tag to Owen. Hart clears house with dropkicks and spinning heelkicks. Gunn catches the leg, but takes an enziguri. Hart scoops Gunn up for an OwenDriver '97, but "Bad Ass" Billy manages to slide out of it. Gunn went for a Rocker Dropper, Owen reverses by lifting him onto his shoulders. Attempted Victory Roll but Hart rolls through. He locks in the Sharpshooter! Road Dogg comes in to break it up, but Storm intercepts and takes him down with a superkick. Billy Gunn taps out at 12:15! Owen celebrates, but Triple H cuts it short by nailing him with the European Title from behind. Storm tries to make the save but Triple H and the Outlaws flee up the ramp. Triple H wants no part of Owen Hart. D-X strike a pose on the stage before disappearing into the back. J.R. tells us that the Owen Hart/Triple H rivalry might not be over just yet.

Vince McMahon is backstage when Briscoe and Patterson enter. Vince asks if there's any sign of "him" yet, but the stooges say no. Vince says that his announcement tonight will be "monumental".

CACTUS JACK and CHAINSAW CHARLIE (champions) vs. LEGION OF DOOM 2000 for the Tag Team Championship

The Champions come out first, but LOD 2000 are hot on their heels. They attack Funk and Foley on the ramp and the two teams brawl out on the stage. Sunny hits a low blow on Foley and Hawk lays him out with a stiff DDT on the steel. LOD double-teams Funk on the stage and, according to Ross, "damn near broke his neck" with a spike piledriver on the steel ramp. They're not done yet though. At Sunny's behest, they show off their new attitude by launching Funk off the stage to the floor below. Jim Ross goes crazy, saying that the LOD have gone too far. Referees and medical staff rush out to attend to him, and Cactus climbs down off the stage to check on his partner. LOD 2000 grab the title belts and hit the ring, where Sunny grabs a microphone. She says that since the tag team champs are unable to compete, that her boys are the new tag team champions by default. J.R. calls her a "jezebel", and lambasts the Road Warriors for being "despicable".

"They just threw a 50-year-old man off a fifteen-foot stage and now they want to walk away with the tag team titles. Terry Funk might not walk away at all, God dammit".

Cactus Jack is incensed and charges down to the ring. He starts brawling with both men, the bell rings and it appears that we've got a match anyway. Cactus takes control despite the odds and knocks both men down. Hawk takes a clothesline to the outside and Jack goes to work on Animal. A neckbreaker and legdrop gets a two-count. Hawk comes back in. Cactus gives him a sidewalk slam and goes for a pulling piledriver, but Hawk backdrops out of it. The two men of the L.O.D. double team Cactus Jack until the referee takes control and forces Hawk onto the apron. Terry Funk is stretchered out, and the camera gets a shot of Sunny looking smug. J.R. again lays into her. Lawler plays the heel, telling Ross that Funk brought it upon himself by putting Hawk through the announce table two weeks back on RAW. The Tag Team veterans make the most of their advantage with quick tags and double team moves. Both men show off their new "mean streak" with cheap shots, chokeholds and thumbs to the eye. They send Cactus to the outside, but Foley gets a rush of adrenaline and fights back. He sends Animal crashing into the steel steps, then follows up, using his knee to crush Animal's skull against the steel. He fights off Hawk with a Mandible Claw and rolls him onto the announce table, sending Ross and The King scrambling for cover. Foley sets Hawk up for a piledriver, but Animal nails him from behind. He pulls him off the announce table and onto his shoulders. With Foley set up, Hawk dives off the announce table to hit the Doomsday Device on Cactus Jack. They roll him into the ring and make the cover...1...2...3. We have new Tag Team Champions!

Sunny raises their hands in victory and the crowd gives them a piece of their mind. The new champions walked back up the ramp as Foley came to his senses and shot them a look of contempt.

KEN SHAMROCK vs. JEFF JARRETT

No Tennessee Lee, he's apparently been suspended. Jarrett did have his trusty guitar at ringside though. Shamrock comes out fired up, letting out a primal roar before heading to the ring. He's met by Jarrett, who swings at him with the guitar. Shamrock ducks and lays into Jarrett with right hands. Double J drops the guitar and Shamrock tosses him into the ring. Shamrock goes to work with some low kicks to the legs, then backs JJ into the corner and gets the crowd going with some more knife-edge chops. Ken whips him to the ropes and puts his head down, but JJ scouts the backdrop and slams him face-first to the canvas. Double J goes for an early Figure-Four, but Shamrock kicks him off. Double J recovers and looks for an armbreaker, which he hits. He does his little strut, which the fans give him heat for. He goes for a suplex, but Shamrock instead hits one of his own. He unloads with some more right hands and a big belly-to-belly. Jarrett rolls to the outside when it looks like Shamrock might be going for the ankle lock. Shamrock goes to the outside and lands some forearms and chops. Double J reverses a whip and sends Shamrock shoulder first into the ring post. Shamrock blocks a smash into the ring post with his boot, and drives Double J's head into the steel instead. Shamrock hits a German suplex on the outside before taking Jarrett back into the ring. Shamrock keeps the pressure on with a backbreaker, and then a spinning heel kick off the ropes. A two-count on that one. The two lock up and Double J hits a cheap shot to take control. He executes a side Russian legsweep which gets him a two count. Jarrett sends Shamrock off the ropes and tries to take him down with a dropkick, but "The World's Most Dangerous Man" - Jim Ross reminds us of Shamrock's UFC achievements - grabs the ropes and Jarrett just lands on the mat. Shamrock grabs the ankle and locks in his Ankle Lock submission. Jarrett struggles, and manages to find the bottom rope. Shamrock reluctantly releases, and picks JJ up. He looks for a German suplex, but Jarrett grabs the ropes to block it. Shamrock changes tack and flips Jarrett over the top to the floor. Double J grabs his guitar from ringside and slides into the ring. Jarrett swings at Shamrock, who spear-tackles Jarrett to the mat. He picks him up and gives him an overhead belly-to-belly suplex onto the guitar, shattering it. Shamrock makes the cover...1...2...3!

Shamrock is victorious and, after staring a hole through the vanquished Jeff Jarrett, heads up the ramp to the back. J.R. wonders who can stop the World's Most Dangerous Man.

The Outlaws are backstage with Triple H, who's warming up for his European Title defence. Chyna walks in with a bouquet of flowers - spraypainted gold - which Triple H grabs off her. He says that Goldust is a freak, and that his mind games aren't going to work. He says that he wants Chyna at ringside so she can show Goldust that she's not interested in a "sexual deviant" like him. He storms off, leaving the other three D-X members behind. Chyna picks up her ruined flowers and, looking a little annoyed, tosses them in the trashcan. She leaves, and Billy looks at Road Dogg, who suggests they "just stay out of it".

GOLDUST vs. TRIPLE H (champion) for the European Championship

Goldust comes out first and plays to the crowd, who give him a decent face reaction. He removes his robe, and crawls along the mat so he's facing the ramp. Triple H's music hits and out onto the ramp steps...Chyna. Triple H comes through the crowd and slides into the ring. Hunter puts the boots to Goldust, who tries to get to his feet. As he does, Hunter swings at him with the European championship belt. Goldust ducks and takes Trips down with a short clothesline. The bell rings and the match gets officially under way.

The veteran Goldust takes control, but the presence of Chyna at ringside distracts him. Every time he gets the better of the Champ, he takes the time to flirt with HHH's Amazonian bodyguard. The defending champ capitalises and systematically goes to work on Goldust's neck. He takes him down with a trifecta of stiff neckbreakers, and drives his knee into the back of Goldust's neck. Hunter takes him to the corner and slams his head into the turnbuckle. HHH throws Goldust to the floor and then takes the referee aside to complain about a loose turnbuckle pad. The rather obvious distraction allows Chyna to continue the beating at ringside, whipping Goldust into the the steel ring steps. She picks him back up, but Goldust plants a kiss on her! She pushes him away, and then lays him out with a stiff DDT on the outside. She rolls him into the ring and HHH covers. 1....2...just a two count. Triple H continues his work on the neck with a DDT of his own. Hunter looks like he's setting Goldust up for the Pedigree, but the gold-suited freak counters it with a backdrop. Triple H is still up first, and he crotch-chops, telling Goldust to "Suck It". Not wise, as Goldust replies with a testicular claw. The referee admonishes Goldust as Triple H doubles over in pain. Goldust school-boys the champ, and gets another near fall. He gathers some momentum and gets a two-count off a bulldog. Triple H reverses a whip, but Goldust ducks a clothesline and comes off the opposite ropes with a clothesline of his own. Goldust looks like he might get the win as he sets Triple H up for the Curtain Call. Chyna hops up onto the apron and, after some hesitation, grabs Goldust and plants him with a kiss. Goldust licks his lips and lunges at Chyna, but Triple H comes from behind and rolls him up...1...2...NO! Goldust still has enough to kick out. Triple H gets up, shoots a questioning glance in Chyna's direction, and again sets Goldust up for the Pedigree. Ross notes that Goldust has clearly been doing his homework - giving Lawler the harrowing mental image of Goldust in a school-girl's outfit - as he again blocks the finisher with a legsweep. He feels himself up, before dropping a fist to the groin of the European Champion. Goldust gets another ticking off, but he brushes the referee aside and grabs HHH. Shades of his daddy as he lays him out with a bionic elbow. Triple H crawls to the corner, and Goldust stalks him. He charges into the corner, but Triple H ducks and Goldust crashes into the newly-exposed turnbuckle. J.R. points out the blatant cheating as Triple H makes the cover...1...2...3! Triple H retains the European title.

Triple H rolls to the outside and grabs his belt. He heads up the ramp where he's joined by Chyna. Triple H asks her, we assume, about the kiss the gave Goldust. Nevertheless, they get to the top of the ramp and Triple H poses, giving the D-X sign to the crowd and to Goldust.

Show continues after Hewey's post

Edited by Hipster Doofus

Well, The first part of the show was pretty good. Glad to see Taka retaining, And Cage looks like he's Taka's next challenger, Which should be killer. LOD winning the titles was the smart move, As Cactus can focus on a singles career. Owen/Storm win, And it looks like HHH/Owen might not be done. I'm wondering if Owen/HHH still feud, What will happen to Storm. Maybe a feud with Camp Cornette? Shamrock winning is great, And I hope he goes on to the main event scene. If you get the main event up, I'll edit my comments in here.

Edit, Main event was crazy, I'm left wondering what will happen to the IC title next. Flair's debut came off well, Even though I was hoping for someone like Hall or Nash to debut, As I don't think Flair fits in with the attitude era. The Undertaker/Vader stuff was great, And the end result was smart, As both men look good, And are kept strong.

Edited by Baby Hewey

Continued from above

VINCE'S SURPRISE

J.R. and The King remind us that Unforgiven is brought to us by Castrol GTX, and by Tekken 3, only on Playstation. It's also brought to us by Vince McMahon, who makes his way out to the ring accompanied by Patterson and Briscoe.

Vince gets in the ring and says that it's time for his big announcement. He says that he has managed a major coup in the battle against WCW, who he mentions by name. He boasts that he has "tipped the scales" once and for all in the WWF's favour. He starts to ramble on some more, until the sound of breaking glass sends the crowd into a frenzy. 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin comes out and heads straight to the ring. He taunts on the four turnbuckles, staring at Vince as he walks from one corner to the next. He grabs the mic off of Vince, before the boss can say anything. Austin tells Vince that he's boring the people of Greensboro. He tells Vince that nobody wants to see him come out to the ring and brag about how great he is. He then goes on to say that it's not Vince that's making people tune in to WWF RAW, it's 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin.

"Hell, if you wanna see the ratings increase some more, how 'bout I give you a 'Stone Cold' Stunner right here in this ring?"

Vince interrupts, telling Austin that even he can't ruin this moment for McMahon. He says that Austin should pay attention, because he could learn a thing or two about being a great champion from this man. Vince signals for the mystery man to make his appearance, and on cue a limousine pulls out onto the stage. The door opens to reveal...the chauffeur. False alarm. The chauffeur walks around to the back, opens the door and reveals...HOLY SHIT IT'S RIC FLAIR!

The North Carolina crowd go bat-shit crazy for their idol, who lets out a big "WOOOOO". He spends a good five minutes strutting around the limo before even making it to the ring. Vince McMahon and his stooges are beaming, having captured one of WCW's big name stars. Austin looks on with interest, and smiles at the reaction the 'Nature Boy' gets. Flair climbs into the ring. Vince moves forward to shake his hand, but Flair goes straight towards Austin. They square up, and the tension is palpable. Flair puts out a hand, and Austin shakes it. The inevitable cheap-shot isn't so inevitable, and Austin leaves with his belt to let Flair bask in his moment. McMahon introduces Flair, unnecessarily of course. Before he can say another word, Flair grabs the mic. He tells Vince that he shouldn't get the impression that they're buddies. He thanks Vince for the opportunity to "come back home", but says that he still thinks he's a asshole. He ripped into Eric Bischoff, calling him "a snake". He said that Vince was just as bad, but at least he knew what was good for business. Flair said that Bischoff wanted to be the star, that he thought he was "bigger than the wrestlers, bigger than 'The Naitcha Boi', WOOOOO". Rejoining Vince McMahon was the "lesser of two evils" according to Flair. All this time, Vince was fuming in the corner. Flair then said that "to be the man, you have to beat the man" and that he'd beaten everyone worth beating in WCW. He said that WCW was where all the old horses were put out to pasture, that he wasn't ready to lie down just yet. Flair said that he wanted to face the young guns like 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin and The Rock, and become a three-time WWF Champion. His music hit, and he gave the fans another Flair strut. Jim Ross talked about what a huge moment this was. Lawler pointed out that Vince McMahon didn't look happy, as he yelled at Patterson and Briscoe, and that maybe Flair's return hadn't gone as planned.

Backstage we see Jim Cornette, who's obviously just seen Ric Flair's return on one of the monitors. He says "Well I'll be damned", before turning his attentions to Camp Cornette. He speculates about bringing Flair into Camp Cornette, and tells Steve Corino that he could learn a lot from The Nature Boy. Corino looks unimpressed. Cornette then moves on to Vader. He reminds Vader what Kane did to his eye with a wrench, and tells him that the only way to find Kane is through The Undertaker. He says that if he can't beat Kane's whereabouts out of the Dead Man, then he should destroy him and draw Kane out of hiding. Vader is obviously motivated. He lets out a roar, then proclaims it "Vader Time" and heads off to the ring.

VADER vs. THE UNDERTAKER

The limousine is still up on the stage when Vader emerges from the back. Cornette is in tow, but he's obviously left the rest of his charges in the back. J.R. wonders whether they'll stay there. Vader stomps to the ring and Cornette joins him, trying to give the big man advice. The fans lay into the two, until the lights dim and the familiar funeral bell tolls. A purple light comes over the stage area, and The Undertaker emerges. He walks methodically to the ring, but is met by half-way by Vader. They brawl out on the ramp and up towards Flair's limo. Vader drives The Undertaker's head into the hood of the limousine, and The Undertaker does the same. The two big men brawl down to the ring and The Undertaker rolls Vader into the ring. The match gets underway with The Undertaker in control. He lays into Vader with some stiff rights and lefts. He tries to take Vader off his feet with a clothesline, but Vader maintains his vertical base. Undertaker looks for an early chokeslam, but Vader fights him off. Vader hits the ropes, blocks a big boot from the Dead Man and drops him with a lariat. Vader lifts The Undertaker up and tosses him into the corner. He charges in and crushes The Phenom with an avalanche. The Undertaker staggers out of the corner and Vader scoops him up. He drops The Undertaker across the top rope throat-first. He turns, into a belly to belly suplex from The Man They Call Vader. Cornette orders Vader to climb the turnbuckles for his trademark moonsault, and he does. The Undertaker sits upright, drawing a cheer from the fans. Cornette tries to warn his client, but The Undertaker nails Vader from behind with a series of shots to the ribs. He climbs to the second rope and takes Vader down with a backdrop from the second turnbuckle. Jim Ross questions whether or not the ring can take much more of this. The Undertaker takes control and takes Vader down with a flying lariat off the ropes. He grabs Vader's arm and climbs up to the top rope. With cat-like balance he walks across the top rope and comes off the top with and elbow to the extended arm of Vader. Vader rolls to the outside where he reconvenes with Cornette. The Undertaker isn't one to wait around, and he dives over the top rope to the floor, crashing into Vader. The crowd are on their feet for The Phenom. 'Taker and Vader stay on the outside, and bring the limousine into play again. Vader overpowers the Undertaker and takes him down to his knees with clubbing blows. He sets The Undertaker up...POWERBOMB, right onto the hood of the limousine! Undertaker's body leaves a huge dent in the limo. Vader climbs over the prone Undertaker and lifts him to his feet, as Jim Ross puts over the damage done by the powerbomb. Lawler wonders whether Ric Flair was relying on the limo to get home. Vader drags The Undertaker onto the roof of the limousine, and sets him up for another powerbomb. Jim Cornette stops him in his tracks, and motions for Vader to deliver a Tombstone Piledriver. Vader obliges, and sets the Dead Man up for his own signature move. The Undertaker slides out the back door and starts to pound away at Vader from behind...when the referee calls for the bell. Howard Finkel informs us that both men have been counted out. The fans aren't too pleased, but the two competitors pay no attention to the decision. They continue to trade blows on the limo roof. The Undertaker sets Vader up for a chokeslam, Vader tries to fight him off. The Undertaker scoops Vader up! TOMBSTONE PILEDRIVER! Right on the limousine roof! Vader is laid out on top of the limousine, and The Undertaker stands over him. The New Midnight Express and Steve Corino rush out from the back. The Undertaker climbs down from the roof and tries to fight the three of them off. They manage to overpower the Phenom, and sent him crashing into the side of the limousine. Vader is pulled off the roof and comes to his senses, joining in the group beating. The Undertaker and Vader start trading blows on the stage area. Big right hands from Vader send The Undertaker stumbling down the ramp. Vader looks to follow, but he's blocked off by a wall of fire! Fire erupts from the stage, separating the two big men. J.R. echoes Vince McMahon's famous line; "That's gotta be Kane!". Lawler wonders whether Kane is in the building. The flames subside, but every time Vader moves towards The Undertaker, or vice versa, the flames shoot back out keeping them apart. Unable to get to The Undertaker, Camp Cornette head to the back. Cornette himself yells at The Undertaker, warning him that "this is not over, Deadman". Jim Ross questions the motives, wondering if Kane is protecting his brother.

We cut backstage, and Ric Flair is catching up with Barry Windham. The Rock walks over and interrupts them, cutting Windham off. He shakes Ric's hand and says that it's an honour to have him in the company. He says that if Ric's looking for someone to pass the torch to, he's the man. Ric tells Rocky, in no uncertain terms, that he's not looking to pass the torch. He says he's here to show that he's still "the man". The Rock replies that he'd be glad to give Flair a shot at the World Title, after he beats 'Stone Cold' in the main event. He leaves Flair to catch up with the "little Horseman buddy", he has to go wrestle in the main event. He heads off towards the ring, leaving Flair and Windham to talk about Maivia's cocky attitude.

THE ROCK (Intercontinental champion) vs. 'STONE COLD' STEVE AUSTIN (World champion) for BOTH Championships

The Nation of Domination come out first, led by Faarooq. The crowd aren't sure how to react to the lumberjacks. They take up position around the ring and Faarooq barks out the orders to his 'soldiers'. The crowd are a lot more vocal when The Rock makes his entrance, booing him to high heaven. He trash talks the fans, and once in the ring he starts sending some abuse the way of Faarooq. Faarooq hops up onto the apron and The Rock backs off, pointing to his Intercontinental Title and reminding Faarooq why he was here. The Rock turns sharply at the sound of breaking glass, and 'Stone Cold' walks out looking fired up. He tosses the World Title over the top rope into the ring and climbs in himself via the steel steps. The Rock backs off, but keeps one eye on Faarooq and the Nation at ringside. Austin poses on the turnbuckle saluting the fans, and trash-talking D'Lo Brown as he stands at ringside.

The referee takes the title belts away and sounds for the bell. The Rock and Steve Austin go nose to nose in the ring. The Rock shoves Austin, who responds with hard right hands. Austin takes Rocky to the corner and stomps away at him, flipping him off in the process. He goes over to the side of the ring nearest the announcers to shoot Faarooq a warning glance. He turns around, right into a clothesline from The Rock. The Rock stomps away at The Rattlesnake and flips him off, getting some cheap heat. The Rock picks him back up and tries to throw him to the outside, but Austin blocks with an elbow and takes him back to the corner. He sets him up on the top rope for a superplex, but The Rock shoves him to the mat. Rock climbs down onto the apron, Austin knocks him to the floor with a clothesline. Mark Henry and Kama move over to The Rock, who does his finest Ric Flair impression and begs off. He hops up and tries to fight them both off, but they overpower him and whip him into the steel steps. Jim Ross points out that the Lumberjacks can do whatever they want. The two Nation members pick him up and toss him back into the ring. Austin takes Rock and suplexes him to the mat. Austin he drops an elbow to the chest. Austin made a cover and only scores a two. Austin takes Rock head first into the corner. Austin landed more right hands, but The Rock fought out with kicks to the knee. The Rock sends Austin cross-ring to the other turnbuckle, then catches him with a DDT. He makes the cover but only gets a two-count. Rock keeps on top of the match, getting another two-count off a powerslam. The Rock picks him up and throws him out to the floor, by D'Lo Brown. D'Lo grabs Austin, who nails him with a Stunner out of nowhere. Kama Mustafa and Mark Henry are quickly on him, and they give him the same treatment as The Rock earlier in the match. Mark Henry picks him up and drives him spine-first into the ringpost, then press slams him through the ropes and into the ring. The Rock quickly turns him over for the pin, but Austin gets a shoulder up. The Rock is visibly frustrated and argues with the referee. He picks Austin back up and looks for a Rock Bottom. Austin breaks it up with an elbow to the head, and takes Rocky down with a suplex. He hits a Lou Thesz Press off the ropes and starts striking The Rock with vicious right hands. Austin eventually relents, and as he comes back to pick The Rock up, Maivia grabs his tights and throws him back to the outside. The Nation are again quickly on Austin, and Mark Henry locks him in a bearhug. J.R. criticises The Rock for making the lumberjacks do all the work for him, but Lawler is impressed by the I.C. Champion's gameplan. J.R. says that if Rocky wins, Mark Henry would deserve the WWF Title more than The Rock (hopefully that wasn't hinting towards a World Title push for Henry). Once The Rock gets his hands on Austin again, he covers him but gets nothing but a nearfall. The Rock begins to work over Austin's knee, trying to incapacitate The Rattlesnake. After going to work on the knee, The Rock signals for the Figure Four Leglock, apparently sending a message to the newest addition to the WWF locker room. Austin kicks him off and gets a boost of adrenaline. He lays into The Rock with rights and lefts, then drops The Rock with a Russian legsweep. He comes off the ropes, favouring the knee slightly, with an elbow drop. He pulls The Rock up, flips him off and looks for a Stunner. The Rock shoves him off, and through the ropes to the outside. Kama, Mark Henry and D'Lo all swarm over to The Rattlesnake. The Rock watches on with a grin on his face as they attack 'Stone Cold', so he doesn't notice when Faarooq slides into the ring behind him. Faarooq waits for The Rock to turn...SPINEBUSTER! Faarooq wipes out The Rock. He calls for the rest of the Nation to send Austin back into the ring. They oblige, and Faarooq leaves the ring and leads The Nation up the ramp and into the back. Lawler talks about Faarooq overstepping his bounds by getting into the ring. J.R. says that he simply made it a fair fight, leaving both men prone in the ring.

Both men get to their feet at the same time, and they start slugging it out. Austin gets the upper hand with his roughneck style. He sends Rock from pillar to post with hard Irish whips. The Rattlesnake is on fire and the crowd is behind him. He hits an inverted Atomic Drop and a scoop slam on "the People's Champion". Austin heads up to the second rope, and flies off with a diving elbow drop. He covers, but The Rock gets his foot on the rope to break it up. Austin signals to his fans that he's looking to finish it off. He picks up The Rock, The Rock backs him into the corner, sandwiching the referee in the process. He nails Austin with a DDT, and both men are down. Vince McMahon takes this opportunity to come down to ringside. He grabs a steel chair from ringside, and slides it into the ring towards The Rock. As The Rock gets to his feet, he spots the chair. He drags Austin to his feet and positions him over the chair for a Rock Bottom. Austin blocks with a knee to the groin, and hits the STONE COLD STUNNER. Vince climbs onto the apron, screaming...and Austin drills him with the steel chair! Vince drops to the floor below, out cold. Austin revives the ref and covers The Rock. 1...2...NO! The Rock manages to shoot a shoulder up at the last second. The crowd can't believe it. Austin lines The Rock up for another Stunner, but The Rock catches the boot. He trips Austin and again goes for the Figure Four. Austin rolls him up in a small package...1...2...NO! Both men are back up and The Rock hits a boot to the midsection. He looks for a Stunner of his own, but Austin reverses it and locks in the Million Dollar Dream! The Rock gets an arm free and fires Austin into the ropes. He sets Austin up for a back bodydrop...STONE COLD STUNNER! 1...2...surely...3! Stone Cold wins!

Austin rolls to the outside, grabs both his belts and heads straight up the ramp. Vince McMahon hsa come to his senses, and he can't believe it. Austin holds his two title belts aloft up on the stage, as The Rock slowly gets to his feet. He looks up to the ramp, where he sees Austin standing victorious with his IC title belt. The Rock drops to his knees in disbelief, as an unforgettable Unforgiven draws to a close.

QUICK RESULTS:

TAKA MICHINOKU BEAT SUPER CRAZY TO RETAIN THE WWF LIGHTHEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

OWEN HART AND LANCE STORM BEAT THE NEW AGE OUTLAWS

L.O.D. 2000 BEAT CACTUS JACK AND CHAINSAW CHARLIE TO WIN THE WWF TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

KEN SHAMROCK BEAT JEFF JARRETT

TRIPLE H BEAT GOLDUST TO RETAIN THE WWF EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP

VADER AND THE UNDERTAKER FOUGHT TO A DOUBLE-COUNTOUT

STEVE AUSTIN BEAT THE ROCK TO WIN THE WWF INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP AND RETAIN THE WWF WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Hadn't even noticed that it had cut my post off. Thanks Hewey!

Edited by Hipster Doofus

News and Rumours

The big news coming out of Unforgiven was, obviously, the return of Ric Flair. Speculation has run rife since he showed up in the middle of a WWF ring for the first time in five years; how and why did Flair jump to the WWF?

Ric Flair's contract with WCW expired in February of this year. Flair was offered a new contract, but turned it down because of discrepancies between the offer on the table and previous promises made to him by Bischoff. Flair was subsequently writte out of storylines and taken off TV so he could thrash out a new deal with Bischoff. Despite this slight bump in the road, at this point it still looked as though Flair was staying with WCW. Back in February, Jim Cornette (at the behest of McMahon) starting dropping hints on the WWF's hotline that Flair was going to sign and join his NWA stable. This was purely to get the fans talking, increase buyrates, and maybe put pressure on WCW. It probably never even crossed Vince McMahon's mind that, come April, he'd be standing in the same ring as Flair.

This all changed on April 9th. Flair, having yet to ink a new deal and not being needed on TV, decided to attend his son's (ten-year-old Reed, not David) AAU amateur wrestling tournament rather than a Thunder taping. Unfortunately for Flair, the writers decided at the last minute to bring Flair back and have him reform The Four Horsemen. Flair was informed on short notice that he was needed, and told that they'd pay for half the cost of him flying back from Detroit to Tallahassee. Flair refused, preferring to stay at watch his son. WCW was left looking foolish as the commentators had to explain Flair's absence at the show having promised fans that he'd be in attendance. Bischoff was furious, and threatened to sue Flair. Bischoff alleged that Flair had given a written intent to re-sign with WCW, and that he'd breached this agreement by not showing up for Thunder. Flair denied signing such a contract, and maintained that he'd given WCW advance notice of his prior commitments. Out-of-contract and out-of-favour with management, Flair decided to jump ship to the WWF rather than wait around for the issue to resolve itself. On April 26th, a matter of hours before Unforgiven, Flair signed with the WWF and prepared to make his debut.

Flair's appearance on Sunday night came as a shock to fans and wrestlers alike. The only people aware of Flair's debut beforehand were McMahon and Austin, the commentators and some of the crew (sound guys etc.). Most of the wrestlers backstage were glued to the monitors and welcomed Flair when he went back to the locker room, but a few were not so happy to see "The Nature Boy". Mick Foley isn't Flair's biggest fan, stemming back to Foley's stint in WCW when Flair held the book. Foley, who many are predicting will be pushed to the main event in the coming months, may be wary of the new signing.

Bret Hart has apparently been complaining to his younger brother about Flair's alleged role in Bret's position in WCW; "The Hitman" feels some of the old guard are conspiring to keep him away from the spotlight. Though he's worked with "Slick" Ric since joining WCW last year, Bret apparently still harbours some ill feelings towards him from their days together in the WWF. Bret might be warning the "Sole Survivor" to watch his back.

We've yet to receive word on how it was taken down in Atlanta, but Bischoff is reportedly looking to launch a $2 million lawsuit against Flair. Flair reportedly feels confident about his chances should the case go to court, and will now have the benefit of the WWF's legal team fighting his cause. Those close to Flair have mentioned a possible countersuit, something I'm sure Vince McMahon would love to see.

Nice work, I'm enjoying reading and the new format is better. Cant wait to see how you introduce Angle properly.

One very slight nitpick is that in your first post it says Kane beat Taker at W14, although Im certain thats just a typo.

This is likely going to be a rare post from me as I'm a 'silent reader'.

Btw/ Nice avatar.

DAMN!

I got 6 out of 7 predictions right. The only one I got wrong was saying Vader would win by DQ instead of that double count out. I knew you couldn't let one beat the other if it wasn't via DQ or count out just yet.

Either way, good event. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

IPB Image

Monday Night RAW comes to Hampton, Virginia after an unforgettable Unforgiven pay-per-views.

Ric Flair made a shock return to the WWF, and he stated his desire to get back to the top of the game. How will the wrestlers respond to the arrival of Flair, and who'll step up to the plate and try to "beat The Man"?

'Stone Cold' Steve Austin walked into Unforgiven with one title belt and left with two, as he pinned The Rock to retain his World Title and win the Intercontinental Title. He's been given the night off by Vince McMahon, but 'The Rattlesnake' isn't one to be told what to do. McMahon has also promised another announcement, and after the shocking surprise at Unforgiven it's sure to be an interesting one.

Vader and The Undertaker fought to a brutal double-countout at Unforgiven, before being separated by a wall of flames. Could this signal the return of Kane? Vader and Camp Cornette will certainly be interesting in finding the Big Red Monster, should he be in Hampton.

After an all-action title match at Unforgiven, TAKA Michinoku and Super Crazy will team up to take on Too Much. All three men in the match will be gunning for TAKA Michinoku's Light Heavyweight Title, and Jason Cage will want to put himself back in the picture after wiping out Michinoku and Super Crazy at Unforgiven.

Newcomer Steve Corino will make his in-ring debut against Barry Windham, and Martyr will make his first appearance on RAW as he looks to build on some impressive wins on Shotgun Saturday Night.

Cactus Jack has also promised fans a message, after he saw his tag team partner and long-term friend Terry Funk demolished at the hands of The Legion of Doom and, to add insult to his partner's injury, lost his Tag Team Title as well. What will Cactus have to say after seeing his world fall apart at the hands of L.O.D. 2000?

IPB Image

RAW is WAR. Hampton, Virginia. April 27th, 1998.

Expensive-looking Unforgiven recap kicks off the show. We see Funk's bump off the stage, Vader and Undertaker brawling to a double-countout, and 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin emerging victorious to leave Greensboro with two title belts. The recap closes on Ric Flair's dramatic return.

13,000 rabid fans are packed into the Hampton Coliseum, the most rabid of them all is at ringside with Jerry "The King" Lawler. Jim Ross puts over the "historic" Unforgiven PPV and tells fans that tonight's RAW will pick up where Unforgiven left off. He announces Barry Windham vs. Steve Corino, in the latter's in-ring debut, and the team of TAKA Michinoku and Super Crazy - opponents last night at Unforgiven - against Too Much. Lawler adds that Vince McMahon has another annoucement to make tonight, and wonders what it's going to be this time.

D-Generation X open the show, led to the ring by the reigning European Champion Triple H. He gets in the ring and gets on the mic. He starts off by bragging about beating Goldust at Unforgiven. He says he sent a message to that freak, despite thing not going entirely according to plan. He shoots a look in Chyna's direction, and she avoids his gaze. He then tells fans not to worry, that Ric Flair is in the building. He says he saw a UPS guy delivering a crate of viagra. He says that Ric Flair mentioned 'Stone Cold' and The Rock last night, but he forgot to mention the WWF's top young superstar, Triple H. He tells Flair that he was looking at the future of the WWF, that if Flair thinks he could leapfrog Triple H just because of his history then he was mistaken.

The crowd go nuts as the Dawn section of Also sprach Zarathursta bellows out of the speaker, and the man himself emerges from the curtain, mic in hand. He lets out a "WOOOH" before addressing Triple H. He calls Triple H a "wannabe Shawn Michaels", and calls Shawn Michaels a "wannabe Ric Flair". He says that Flair had the Four Horsemen, HHH has the Four Jackasses. Triple H and the Outlaws take offence, shouting at Flair from the ring. Flair reminds Triple H that he's the Nature Boy, and that when Triple H was rolling around in the mud with a pig farmer, he was headlining pay-per-views and selling out arenas.

Triple H interrupts, telling Flair that this isn't 1995, this is 1998. He says that Space Mountain isn't the biggest ride in the park any more, that it doesn't make the girls scream like it used to. He says the only reason people ride it is because of nostalgia. He says that maybe it's time Space Mountain was knocked down to make way for a new ride. He says that D-X is the new main attraction, and it's "bigger and longer".

Flair tells Triple H that he wasn't impressed by Triple H's showing last night. All he saw was a cheap win over Goldust, thanks to Chyna, and a sneak attack on Owen Hart. Flair says that he's spoken to management, and convinced them to book a main event tonight of Triple H vs. Owen Hart for the WWF European Title.

Triple H points out that Flair's only been in the company 24 hours and he's already conspiring to keep him down. He accepts the match, and says that he'll show Flair how things work in the WWF. He says he'll beat Owen yet again to show Flair exactly who he's dealing with. Flair tells Triple H that it won't be like their previous matches, because D-Generation X are barred from ringside. If they interfere, then Triple H forfeits the title to Owen. Flair lets out a "WOOOH" and heads to the back. Triple H isn't looking quite so smug in the ring, but he tells the Outlaws not to worry.

SUPER CRAZY and TAKA MICHINOKU vs. TOO MUCH

We come back from the break as Too Much prance around the ring and TAKA Michinoku and Super Crazy try to overcome the language barrier and talk tactics. J.R. confirms the Owen Hart vs. Triple H main event, with the European Title on the line. Lawler tells Ross to focus on the match, calling Too Cool the best team in the WWF. He says Brian Christopher should get a shot at the Light Heavyweight Title. Too Much get the crowd pretty hot for a good match. They try to keep the pace down and stop TAKA and Super Crazy pulling off their big spots. Super Crazy - who is very over with the Virginia crowd - hits an innovative dropkick/Tornado DDT combo to get an early near fall. Too Much use underhanded tactics to stop him tagging out to the Light Heavyweight champ. They double team Crazy and get a nearfall off an elevated neckbreaker. Super Crazy avoids a top-rope legdrop from Christopher, and makes the hot tag to TAKA. TAKA cleans house with dropkicks to both members of Too Much. He sends Scott Taylor to the outside and then goes airborne with a slingshot plancha. Super Crazy and Brian Christopher brawl in the ring, and Crazy hits a spinning brainbuster. With the referee otherwise occupied, Jason Cage took this opportunity to saunter down to ramp towards TAKA. He grabs the champion and lays him out with a rolling DDT/cutter combo dealy - which Lawler calls the "Roll Cage". He throws TAKA back into the ring. Brian Christopher quickly covers and gets the three count. Jerry Lawler claims that Christopher is now the number one contender, but J.R. calls it was cheap win. Cage grabs a mic and starts ranting about TAKA getting "a dose of Vitamin C", and declares himself the number one contender. With his back to the ring, he doesn't notice Super Crazy climbing the turnbuckle. He turns, and Super Crazy flies off the top and crashes into Cage, knocking him down. TAKA grabs his title from ringside and walks over to his partner. He helps Super Crazy up, and they shake hands. Super Crazy points to TAKA's title, letting him know that he still wants the belt.

Cameras cut backstage to Ric Flair who's walking backstage, catching up with some old friends. He bumps into Jim Cornette, who's standing with the New Midnight Express and Dan Severn. Cornette tells Flair that he's glad to see him back in the WWF, and tells him there's a place for him in Camp Cornette. He says that Flair's experience would benefit some of the young heads in the locker room. Before Flair can respond, Steve Corino swaggers over, interjecting himself into the conversation. He introduces himself to Flair; "I'm the next you". He tells Flair that he's got a match against Barry Windham later, and that he'd show Flair why he's a future legend.

Back in the ring, Vince McMahon is out and has a mic. He tells the fans that he's been made to feel like an idiot in his own company by one man, 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin. He says that Austin has no respect for authority and no class. This is the reason he brought Ric Flair in to the company, but Flair had the audacity to turn around and call McMahon a "snake". Then, he says, he was relying on The Rock to teach Austin a lesson and take the title from him, but The Rock let him down too. He says that he's looking for someone who can match Austin, who can go toe to toe with "The Rattlesnake". He says he was thinking about Austin's rise to success, and he had an epiphany; he would use the very thing that made Austin a success to find someone to take down 'Stone Cold' - the King of the Ring. He announces that sixteen men would fight for the chance to be crowned King, and the tournament would start next week. Ken Shamrock's music hits and he comes down to the ring. He tells McMahon that he was throwing his hat into the ring. He said he didn't care about Austin, but that he wanted to prove that he was the World's Most Dangerous Man. Before McMahon got a chance to reply, Jeff Jarrett's music hits and he came out onto the ramp with his guitar in hand. He claimed that Shamrock's win at Unforgiven was a fluke, and that he too would enter the King of the Ring if it meant he could get his hands on Shamrock. McMahon says that he chooses who enters the King of the Ring. He says that Shamrock and Jarrett would get an opportunity to qualify for the tournament. Speaking of qualifications, McMahon announces that the winners of tonight's remaining three matches (excluding the main event) would all be entered into the tournament. J.R. hypes up the King of the Ring, we head to commercial.

D'LO BROWN vs. MARC MERO (with Cookie)

Mero's loudmouth valet Cookie joins J.R. and The King for commentary, as her man takes on The Nation's D'Lo Brown. J.R. talks about D'Lo's part in the main event at Unforgiven, acting as a lumberjack. Mero takes an early advantage. He keeps D'Lo grounded and targets the neck. He hits a headlock bulldog and covers for a nearfall. Cookie asks J.R why they couldn't find time to give Marc Mero a match at Unforgiven, but they "wasted 20 minutes on a funny little parade for that washed-up fruitcake Ric Flair". Jim Ross explains that if Marc Mero wants to wrestle on the big shows, he needs to start winning some matches. Cookie says that once he wins this match he'll get a spot in the King of the Ring, then maybe Jim Ross would sit up and take notice. In the ring, D'Lo shows off his speed with a big spinning heel kick and a dropkick that sends Mero to the floor. Cookie screams at Mero to get his act together. She threatens to slap the cowboy hat off J.R. after he tells her to keep it down. Mero seems motivated and the tide swings in his direction. He gets a two count off a moonsault. D'Lo blocks the TKO and hits a backdrop, then gets a two-count off a moonsault of his own. D'Lo looks for his Lo Down frog splash, but Mero catches him on the top. He hits a big super Frankensteiner off the top. He makes the cover...1...2...foot on the ropes. Mero works over the neck of D'Lo with a DDT and a neckbreaker. He looks for a piledriver but D'Lo backdrops out of it. Cookie leaves the announce position. She slides a baseball bat into the ring, which Marc Mero grabs. The referee struggles to pry the weapon away from Mero, giving Cookie the opportunity to climb into the ring and deliver a full-force low blow to D'Lo Brown. She leaves the ring, Mero relinquishes the weapon and heads up top. He executes the Shooting Star Press and covers. 1...2...Marc Mero steals one. Cookie trash talks D'Lo, until the cavalry arrives in the form of Kama Mustafa and Mark Henry. Mero and Cookie leave the ring and high tail it up the ramp.

We cut to a pre-recorded interview with Cactus Jack. Jack's faces fills the entire shot, and is partially cast in shadow. He speaks slowly and softly. He says that, unlike the Briscoes or the Harts or the von Erichs or the McMahons, he's not from a wrestling family. He says that he's not from a great wrestling dynasty. Terry Funk, he says, is part of a wrestling dynasty. Foley says that Terry Funk was a legend and, more importantly, was like a brother to him. He says that what the Legion of Doom did to Terry Funk at Unforgiven was...well, Unforgivable. He says that they've forsaken all the tradition and history of the business, and that their fifteen-year career has been tainted by their actions at Unforgiven. He reiterates that he's not from a wrestling family like Terry Funk, but he says that he does have a family out there. He says that the fans, the hardcore fans are his family. The fans that call him "God", that worship him as a Hardcore Legend. These fans are his family and they're Terry Funk's family, and they're fiercly loyal. He says that Cactus Jack isn't responsible for their actions, but that the Legion of Doom - through their attack on Funk - is to blame for whatever retaliation occurs. "Bang Bang".

J.R. and The King wonder what Mick Foley was talking about, and what kind of "retaliation" might occur. J.R. says that he wouldn't want to be in the L.O.D.'s boots.

STEVE CORINO vs. BARRY WINDHAM

We're reminded that the winner of this match gets a spot in the 16-man King of the Ring tournament. Lawler says that this is about more than the King of the Ring for Corino, who wants to send a message to Ric Flair and all the other doubters. Corino's message isn't getting through at first, as the veteran Windham shows that he's no pushover. Windham clearly has no qualms about using underhanded tactics, hitting a low blow on Corino while distracting the referee. Lawler points out that Cornette isn't at ringside, saying that Corino told him it wasn't worth the walk. J.R. says that Corino doesn't want to underestimate the former NWA World Champion and WWF Tag Team Champion. Corino seems to have learnt his lesson, and he dominates Windham. Corino shows off his technical skills by working over Windham's knee and locking him in an STF. He eventually releases the hold and looks to finish Windham off with a Lariat, J.R. says he's mocking Windham. The former Horseman avoids the Lariat, and shows Corino hows it's done. He gets a three-count, but Corino's foot was under the ropes and the referee spots this. Windham sets Corino up on the top for a Superplex. Corino comes to his senses and rakes the eyes. Windham falls to the mat. Corino signals for the Figure-Four, but Windham kicks him off into the corner. Windham charges in with a head of steam, but Corino sidesteps and rolls Windham up. 1...2...no, Corino breaks the pin himself and instead goes for another Figure-Four Leglock. Windham battles valiantly, but he taps out. Jerry Lawler claims that Steve Corino's Figure-Four Leglock is better than Flair's. J.R. says that Corino's going to have to win a lot more matches if he's going to call himself "the next Ric Flair".

Commerical break, and when we return we get some still images from Unforgiven. Ross and Lawler hype up the show, calling it a classic. They remind us that the main event for tonight could be a classic too, as HHH takes on Owen Hart for the European Title, with DX banned from ringside. Lawler reveals that, after complaining to management, Triple H has managed to get Lance Storm and Goldust banned from ringside too.

MARTYR vs. STEVE BLACKMAN

J.R. says that these two have had some brutal battles on Shotgun over the past few weeks. He says that if Martyr can pick up a win here, he'll get a spot in the King of the Ring. Martyr brings a kendo stick to ringside, and Lawler says that it probably still has Steve Blackman's blood on it.

As with the previous matches between the two, Martyr takes control. He's vicious in his attack on Blackman, pounding him with stiff right hands. He picks Blackman up and chokes him using the ropes. The match quickly spills to the outside, and Martyr overpowers Blackman. He whips him into the guard rail and then into the steel steps. He charges at Blackman, who blocks with a kick to the midsection. He unloads on Martyr with a flurry of martial arts kicks. He rolls him into the ring and follows. Blackman doubles Martyr over with a kick and looks for a Scissor Kick off the ropes. Martyr avoids it and grabs the leg. He hits a Capture Suplex and covers, but only gets a two count. He sets Blackman up for a powerbomb, but Blackman slips out and lands on his feet. Blackman stages a comeback with some karate chops, but the comeback is short lived and Martyr lays him out with a side Russian legsweep. He picks Steve Blackman up and drills him with an elevated DDT. 1...2...3. Martyr gets a spot in the King of the Ring, and J.R. says he might be the surprise package of the tournament. Post-match, Martyr grabs his kendo stick from ringside and stalks Blackman. He raises Blackman's head with his kendo stick, and cracks him over the skull with the weapon. He follows up with two more vicious shots to the ribs of the prone Blackman. Martyr raises his kendo stick above his head and celebrates his victory.

J.R. tells us that there's some kind of incident backstage, and the cameras cut to a locker room. The camerman forces his way past Dan Severn and the New Midnight Express to find Vader pressing Paul Bearer up against the locker room wall. Jim Cornette is next to him, threatening Bearer. He demands to know whether Paul Bearer was behind the fire at Unforgiven, and whether he knows where Kane is. Bearer pleads his innocence, claiming that he hasn't seen Kane. Cornette says that he doesn't buy it. He thinks The Undetaker, Kane and Paul Bearer are all in league with each other. He says that since neither Kane nor The Undertaker showed up tonight, that next week on RAW he would give them an incentive to come out of "hiding". Cornette said that he was going to use Paul Bearer as bait to draw out The Undertaker and Kane so that Vader could get his hands on both men and destroy them. With that, Vader dragged Paul Bearer out of the locker room, and Camp Cornette headed off towards the parking lot. The camera follows the contingent. They reach a limousine, which Vader throws Bearer into. Cornette, Vader, Severn, Corino and the Express all pile into the limousine, which speeds out of the arena.

J.R. says that Jim Cornette has gone too far by kidnapping Paul Bearer he says that, as slimy as Paul Bearer is, he's not a wrestler. Lawler reminds J.R. that Bearer was the one who brought Kane to the WWF, and he's the one that convinced Kane to injure Vader. "In any event", the main event is up next and the WWF European Title is on the line...right after the final commercial break of the night.

TRIPLE H (champion) vs. OWEN HART for the WWF European Championship

Back from commercial, Owen Hart emerges from the Gorilla position to a big cheer from the capacity crowd. He looks focused on the task in hand, and J.R. says this may be his last opportunity to win the European Title. Lawler says he shouldn't even have this chance, because Triple H has beaten him so many times before. Ross points out that all Triple H's wins came with assistance from Chyna who - along with the New Age Outlaws - was banned from ringside for this match.

Triple H arrives, with his D-X stable-mates at his side. Triple H leaves them up on the stage as he walks down the ramp. He explains to the referee that they're on the ramp, not at ringside. The referee accepts this, but warns Chyna and the Outlaws not to come down to the ring.

Owen Hart starts things off, firing off right and left hands. He comes off the ropes and hits a perfect spinning wheel kick. Quick cover gets a two count, as Triple H looks a little off the pace. Hart continues his offence with some technical takedowns followed by a Bulldog-style hanging vertical. Owen grounds Triple H, applying an leglock on the D-X leader. Hart continues to focus on the knee of Helmsley, repeatedly driving it into the canvas. Triple H stops the methodical attack by blocking a German Suplex attempt with a sharp elbow to the face. He follows up by applying a sleeper hold, which Hart manages to counter with a jawbreaker. Hart goes for a dropkick, which misses, and HHH goes back to work, applying a side headlock. Hart gets to his feet and fires HHH off the ropes. Helmsley ducks a clothesline, Hart does the same and then catches Triple H with a dropkick. He bounces back off the ropes, but HHH takes him down with a drop toehold and floats over into another headlock. Triple H pulls him to his feet and drives Hart's head into his knee. He hits a snap suplex and pins, only getting a two-count. He throws Hart to the outside and they brawl around the ring. Helmsley sends him flying into the side of the Spanish announcers' table sending Hugo Savinovich and Carlos Cabrera running for cover. HHH rolls Hart onto the table and signals for the Pedigree. He gives Hart a DX-chop and pulls him to his feet. He tries to set Owen Hart up for the finisher, but Hart sweeps the legs and locks in the Sharpshooter! Triple H writhes in pain on the announce table. Hart eventually brings himself and Triple H back to the ring, avoiding a count-out. He hits a big missile dropkick from the top for a close two-count. Triple H counters a second missile dropkick, crotching Hart on the top turnbuckle. HHH goes to the second rope and superplexes Hart back to the ring. He covers, but also only gets a two count.

At this point, Goldust walks out onto the stage behind Chyna and the Outlaws. He approaches Chyna, who doesn't know how to react. The Outlaws threaten Goldust, but Chyna stops them. The four argue, until Billy Gunn nails Goldust with a clothesline. The Outlaws start brawling with Goldust, which brings out Lance Storm to even the odds. The four men brawl on the stage and start to spill out onto the ramp. The referee slides out of the ring in an attempt to keep the wrestlers away from the ring. Other officials race out to break up the fight. In the distraction, Triple H nails Owen Hart with a low blow. He grabs the European title belt and brings it to the ring. A shot to the head takes Hart down. Hunter puts the belt on the mat and sets Owen up for a Pedigree onto it. With the action on the ramp, the referee doesn't notice Ric Flair race down to the ring and slide under the bottom rope. He breaks up the Pedigree by delivering a huge knife edge chop to Triple H. Flair and HHH brawl, and Flair gets the upper hand with a thumb to the eye. He takes Helmsley down with a shin breaker, and brings Owen Hart to his feet. Flair slides out of the ring and heads back up the ramp, as the officials clear the ringside area and the referee gets back into the ring. Hart locks Triple H in the Sharpshooter. Triple H struggles in the hold, reaching out for the bottom rope. Owen leans back, applying more pressure to the knees of Triple H. Helmsley tears his hair out in pain. He makes one last stretch for the ropes...and grabs hold of them. The referee forces Hart to break the hold. Owen is frustrated, wondering what it will take to beat Triple H. The champion gets to his feet, and stops Hart in his tracks with a thumb to the eye of his own. Limping heavily, he lays into Owen with closed fists to the back of the head. Hunter hits an inverted atomic drop, and knocks Owen backwards into the corner with a hard right hand. He signals for the Figure Four, mocking Ric Flair. He grabs the leg of Hart, who immediately grabs the ropes with both hands. Triple H tries to pull him out of the corner, Owen pulls himself up to one foot...ENZIGURI! Triple H collapses to the mat. Hart grabs the legs of Triple H...FIGURE FOUR LEG LOCK! Triple H is in serious pain. He tries to roll over and reverse the pressure, but he can't find the strength...he taps out!

Owen Hart relinquishes the hold and rolls to the outside. The referee calls for the bell and hands Owen the WWF European Title. Owen celebrates, and proudly straps the belt around his waist. Triple H is conscious, but can't get to his feet. He sits up with a look of disbelief that quickly changes to one of anger. He pounds the mat with his fists, J.R. announces the NEW European Champion, Owen Hart, and RAW goes off the air.

Edited by Hipster Doofus