Alice In Chains are back...

Rage

It's Official: ALICE IN CHAINS Is Back! - Feb. 21, 2006

ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell's official web site administrator, who goes by the name of "ceojc", has confirmed that the band will be reuniting for an appearance at the Nova Rock festival in Austria in mid-June (web site), with "a lot more" concert dates yet to be announced.

"I hate to keep on saying this, but as most of you have heard, ALICE will be performing at Nova Rock in Austria," "ceojc" writes on Cantrell's official message board. "This is true. ALICE is back.

"Europe is a long way to go for just one show, so I feel that we are going to have a lot more to do.

"Because this is Europe and a big festival, don't count on any special ALICE tickets but you never know what the future brings.

"Let me explain why things went down the way they went down. It was not the way we wanted it to happen. The festival promoter secured a bunch of really big bands like METALLICA, GUNS N' ROSES and ALICE. The promoter decided to have a big press conference on Monday [Feb. 20]. We had not finished securing the 'business side' of the show by the time Monday rolled around. Because Monday was President's Day, our office was closed and we could not make a decission regarding releasing the info to you guys. Our European agent, because our office was closed, made an executive decision to release the show info. We fully support his choice but could not say anything untill we spoke to him to get the full stroy and due to the time difference and travel we could not make the announcement untill just now.

"Guys, please remember that nothing is official unless it comes from our office. We like to surprise you but sometimes that is not always possible.

"Jerry, Mike [inez, bass], Sean [Kinney, drums] and the managment team are doing our best to keep you guys informed. You mean a lot to the guys and they want you to know that."

ALICE IN CHAINS frontman Layne Staley died on April 5, 2002 from a mixture of heroin and cocaine. Staley was found dead two weeks later, surrounded by intravenous drug paraphernalia in his Seattle apartment. The death certificate reads Staley's death resulted from "an acute intoxication due to the combined effects of opiate (heroin) and cocaine." The death was classified as "accidental."

As previously reported, COMES WITH THE FALL vocalist/guitarist and member of Jerry Cantrell's touring band William DuVall has been tapped to sing lead vocals with ALICE IN CHAINS at the taping of an episode of VH1 Classic's "Decades Rock Live!", a tribute to HEART that will take place March 10 at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City. It is not presently clear if DuVall will be joining the group on any of the other dates that are currently being scheduled.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd argue that since Cantrell did a lot of writing for the group, it's not the biggest deal if he keeps the AIC brand going. The IXS example was poor because INXS WAS Hutchence, to be honest.

Hey, since he did most of the writing, I'd like to see the rumoured recordings they may do.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Cantrell writes all the music, why doesn't he just produce another solo album instead of tagging on the AIC name? It's not like anyone cares about anyone ever involved with the band not named Jerry Cantrell or Layne Staley anyway.

I don't see a problem with it. AIC isn't one of those bands that is thought of as a particular members' "band", you know? An example would be Nine Inch Nails, since Reznor is the only official member.

Bring on the new album, I say.

I don't see a problem with it. AIC isn't one of those bands that is thought of as a particular members' "band", you know? An example would be Nine Inch Nails, since Reznor is the only official member.

Bring on the new album, I say.

To most people, though, AIC is Layne and Jerry. Doing it without Layne would amount to it being little more than a Cantrell album, in my mind, and probably most other people's.

Gotta survive somehow. I'm sure all the AIC money Cantrell made was spent on the solo albums, and he probably didn't make all that money back.

He's in the same boat as Billy Corgan, and I'm personally excited as fuck for the new Pumpkins record. I don't care about ruining an image or popular opinion or some such shit. As long as the music is good, who cares?

Edited by The Man They Call Tristy

I guess it's the difference between doing a solo album with a backing/recording/touring band that may or may not rotate or whatever, to doing it as "his" band, with a more or less fixed line-up of people. Makes it appear to be more of a group effort, I assume.

Gotta survive somehow. I'm sure all the AIC money Cantrell made was spent on the solo albums, and he probably didn't make all that money back.

He's in the same boat as Billy Corgan, and I'm personally excited as fuck for the new Pumpkins record. I don't care about ruining an image or popular opinion or some such shit. As long as the music is good, who cares?

Actually, Degradation Trip reportedly sold fuckloads, hence why it was re-released as a double album, which I imagine must also have sold fuckloads.

I agree, though, that if the music's good, then fair enough.

Get Soundgarden in on the act, we can re-create the early 90's in 2006. >_>

Wait, Alice In Chains are back together, Smashing Pumpkins could be reforming, Metallica and Guns & Roses are co-headlining a load of festivals, Morrissey has a new album coming out, Kula Shaker have reformed....fuck, it's the 90s, leg it!

EDIT:

And it's not like anyone cares, but I think Soundgarden were the most versatile of the four grunge bands mentioned, and possibly my favourite, with AIC coming close second, then Pearl Jam, then Nirvana. I went through the "Nirvana are shit" phase but, frankly, they're not.

Edited by Skumfrog

Dregradation Trip sold fuckloads because it's AMAZING. The Double CD set is even better.

Also, if you guys haven't, check out a band called Mad Season..Layne does the vocals, Pearl Jam's guitarist..plays guitar...and I can't remember who does drums and bass, but the CD is SO good.

EDIT: skumfrog, in my opinion, Nirvana is the single most overrated band of all time, if only because of Kurt Cobain. I really didn't like his lyrics, voice, or guitar playing at all. Dave Grohl is the man though, so he's the band's saving grace for me...but it doesn't help much at all.

Edited by Ash J. Williams

AIC > Soundgarden > Pearl Jam > Nirvana

...pretty much anything will go before Nirvana in that statement.

Ahhh...gotta love Nirvana hate in the morning >_>

Whether you like the exact sound emitting from the speakers, Nirvana did what arguably bands like Pantera did with Metal, and took a style of music to the masses which wasn't overly "commercial" (I use the Pantera reference because they sold a shit load for the type of music they did) which is an impressive feat in itself. Right time, right place, maybe...but Cobain could write a good song IMO.

Actually, Degradation Trip reportedly sold fuckloads, hence why it was re-released as a double album, which I imagine must also have sold fuckloads.

I agree, though, that if the music's good, then fair enough.

Get Soundgarden in on the act, we can re-create the early 90's in 2006. >_>

Wait, Alice In Chains are back together, Smashing Pumpkins could be reforming, Metallica and Guns & Roses are co-headlining a load of festivals, Morrissey has a new album coming out, Kula Shaker have reformed....fuck, it's the 90s, leg it!

Kula Shaker have re-formed? Sweet!

EDIT: I think most AIC fans, or grunge band fans would have listened to Mad Season, Ash :P

SECOND EDIT: I agree with Skumfrog about Soundgarden being the most versatile, I just don't think personally they had as many good songs as the other 3. When they got it right, it was awesome, but I wasn't as sold on them as I am the other 3 (even though I am a Cornell mark)

Edited by rvdwannabe

Actually, most people I know aren't all that aware of Mad Season, and I didn't become aware of them until after Layne died, despite being raised on grunge. They are a fantastic band, though, even managing to sound like something of a grunge Velvet Underground at times, I thought.

I second the notion that Degradation Trip was amazing, though, I consider it one of the greatest metal albums of all time, and certainly one of my favourite albums, which says a lot for someone who isn't a big metal fan these days.

As for Nirvana, they weren't all that talented, they weren't all that original, but it's listenable, and it worked. They only got as famous as they did because the media needed a pretty face to put on a movement that was going to happen regardless, and found it with Kurt, and they only stayed that famous because Kurt ensured it, and I still consider his suicide a conscious attempt at cultural immortality.

Essentially, far from the greatest band in the world, but not worthy of the hate that gets directed at them.

EDIT: rvdwannabe, yup, Kula Shaker have reformed. I know little more than that, but I have a friend who basically lives in 1996, so he won't shut up about it. As for Soundgarden, I'm probably a little biased, as it's the music of my childhood (my older brother's favourite band, I grew up with them), and I am a huge Cornell fan (his solo album is another of my favourite albums), but I'll admit that they have their moments when they aren't as good as they could be, but when they get it right, they get it right.

Edited by Skumfrog

No one said Pantera were bland :\

And, while I'm giving opinions (someone make this the official mid-90s alternative rock thread already >_>), I'll say that Pantera were a functional, and at times excellent, heavy metal band, and Phil Anselmo has one of the greatest metal voices in the world. They were nothing amazing, but "Walk" and "Cemetery Gates" alone make them worth a listen in my books.

The Dimebag love frustrates me even more than idolisation of Kurt Cobain, though.