WEST WING: WILDCAT VS JULES

Wildcat versus Jules

Story: You've been accepted as a freelance graphics artist by a film company, and they want you to design for them a promotional poster for their upcoming movie, _________. The design will be featured in movie theaters wherever the movie is being shown, so they especially want you to do a good job with it.

Basic Rules: Create a movie poster for whatever upcoming movie you'd like or, if there are none that you're interested in doing, create one for your favorite movie. Take a look at actual theater promotional posters for movies before you make one, though... remember: the more professional the design, the better the results.

Restrictions: Credits for the film are optional, but you MUST have the names of at least one or two main actors/actresses featured in the movie featured somewhere on the poster, as well as the name/logo of the movie itself.

Size: 600x860

Deadline: Sunday, March 26th

I decided to go ahead and challenge myself with a movie that isn't out yet and that I had previously never heard of before as thats what a "freelance graphic artist" more often than not gets to work with.

Hope you guys like it and good luck to Jules.

post-5413-1142930395_thumb.jpg

post-5413-1142930395_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wildcat

WILDCAT

-------------

Pros: Nice font placement, and a surprisingly good job on the cut. Mad props for going out of your way to find a movie you've not heard much about.

Cons: This is a horror movie? Feels like a chick flick the way you've done the poster, doesn't really allude to much of a horror flick for the casual observer. While I'm not saying that you should make it apparent that it's a thriller/horror flick, there should be some small elements that hint it, and in this there aren't really any. I don't like how off-set the positions of things are in the poster: you've got all of the fonts nicely centered, and even in the picture up top the person is centered, yet you've used a picture where the person is holding a picture and standing off to the left. It disrupts the feel of the poster, really.

JULES

-------------

Pros: That building in the center is superb, I love how you handled that. Willis off to the side and the effects on him are nice too, and the credits are in a nice spot for the poster.

Cons: You don't see many reviews on theatrical posters... usually you just see one, and it's rather isolated to a spot and small. With yours, you have two rather prominent ones, and I get the feeling you were trying to get them to stay on the black background too, but one of the lines crossed over onto the building. I wish you'd have cut the background from Bruce's picture too and just had his face there, but it still looks nice. The pictures of the others seem kind-of unneccesary where they're at-- I think it might've been better to have the face of the antagonist facing the other direction, with those pictures perhaps lined across the bottom of the building.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

Wildcat's came off to me as a poster I might overlook in a theater. That's nothing offensive-- I honestly think if blown up and stuck in a theater it'd look like an okay poster, but to the casual eye they wouldn't really see it as a thriller/horror, they'd have to have heard about the movie in advance to know about it. Most posters tend to give off a feeling of what the movie is about-- this isn't to say all do of course, but in general they at least show some part of what the movie's genre is, and looking at yours and then reading the review... it's strange, I guess. Not something you'd expect to hear about a movie on a poster like that.

Jules' was nice-- I think he got the old Die Hard style poster down pat. Without having heard about Die Hard, or knowing what it's about... I could take a look at that poster and get the gist(sp?) of it from it. I'm still not too fond of the pictures on the left, but other then the idea I gave you I don't know much else for you to do with that idea.

In the end, I'm giving this one to Jules, as I feel his captured his chosen movie AND acted as a better, more crisp and professional looking poster. In my eyes, putting aside my knowledge in graphic designs, I would say that walking through the theaters his poster would draw my eyes more to it and appeal to other viewers more as well. Wildcat put out a nice effort though, and I thank him for participating. Congratulations, Jules, you've passed on to the next round!

Congrats Jules.

As for the tag line and it not looking like a horror movie, its not a horror movie. I got this off IMDB,

Hard Candy

Genre: Drama / Thriller

Plot Outline: A provocative drama about a 32-year-old man who takes home a 14-year-old girl he meets on the Internet--with surprising consequences.

also if interested here's the only real poster of the movie I found.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0424136/Ss/...ath_key=0424136

Ah, I get ya'

Yeah... guess you might have just chose the wrong quote for the way you did the poster, the way the guy was talking it made it sound like a horror movie. About halfway through my critique on your peice I actually thought to myself it could just be a thriller, but that quote left it up in the air.

Either way man, you did a good job with it, just really threw me off as to what the movie would be about if I were to be the casual observer in a theater looking at it.

Guest Jules

Great battle Wildcat - really close I think. I knew it'd be tight when I saw your entry. (Y)

I thought the pictures on the left would be criticised when I put mine up, but being honest, I didn't like the black space that was behind it so I decided to fill that with co-stars.

Yeah I figure thats probably the wrong quote to use there.

Jules, Man I loved yours too, When you look at what the origional poster looks like with that arangement and what you did with it the effects you used on the building you make it look MUCH better than the origional.

I think you did tremendous for a movie you'd never heard about before, and deserve props for walking the path less travelled.

Thirded towards Sean's comment-- like I said man... really impressed you went off and did that, wasn't expecting that from many people-- much less any at all.