WEST WING: ALLDAWSON VS XERO GRAVITY

alldawson versus Xero Gravity

Story: You've been accepted as a freelance graphics artist by a film company, and they want you to design for them a promotional poster for their upcoming movie, _________. The design will be featured in movie theaters wherever the movie is being shown, so they especially want you to do a good job with it.

Basic Rules: Create a movie poster for whatever upcoming movie you'd like or, if there are none that you're interested in doing, create one for your favorite movie. Take a look at actual theater promotional posters for movies before you make one, though... remember: the more professional the design, the better the results.

Restrictions: Credits for the film are optional, but you MUST have the names of at least one or two main actors/actresses featured in the movie featured somewhere on the poster, as well as the name/logo of the movie itself.

Size: 600x860

Deadline: Sunday, March 26th

Edited by The Mask of Norro

Dunno if we're allowed to leave feedback; but I will anyway. Not too sure how this is being voted and such, but I thought I'd let my feelings be known on Ad!'s piece.

- I really love the way you've used the girl at the top, I think it looks really good, apart from two niggles; I don't think it's Milla (if it is, it looks nothing like her) and it looks too... video game, if you know what I mean. To me it looks like a shot from a RE game, and it doesn't work on a film poster. However, if that is Milla, my point is void. It also looks a little fuzzy, and once again, this brings it down.

- The Zombies are my least favourite thing. Two things; the way it gets bigger from left to right looks poor in my eyes, and once again, the whole video game screenshot aspect of it is a bit... meh. I can see what you've gone for, but I don't really like it.

- I think the gravestones look particularly good, they work really well, and I have no problems with them whatsoever.

- I'm split, 50/50 on the logo. It looks really good, I like the text, it works well for the film's theme and genre and the red works very well with the poster. On the other hand, I think the "Resident Evil" should have been centred with the "III" placed behind it, in typical film fashion. The way the main title is slightly aligned to the left just looks a bit silly in my eyes.

Overall, I think it's a great poster, and I think it works really, very well. However, those small niggles bring its quality down a bit. On first look, it looks excellent, but on closer inspection, I reckon it could have looked a lot better.

6.5/10 - Maybe a bit harsh, because it is great, but I think in a tournament like this, 'niggles' shouldn't exist. :P

Bring on Xero Gravity's, one of the graphics I'm really looking forward to.

- I really love the way you've used the girl at the top, I think it looks really good, apart from two niggles; I don't think it's Milla (if it is, it looks nothing like her) and it looks too... video game, if you know what I mean. To me it looks like a shot from a RE game, and it doesn't work on a film poster. However, if that is Milla, my point is void. It also looks a little fuzzy, and once again, this brings it down.

It is Milla. Here's the pic I used.

- I'm split, 50/50 on the logo. It looks really good, I like the text, it works well for the film's theme and genre and the red works very well with the poster. On the other hand, I think the "Resident Evil" should have been centred with the "III" placed behind it, in typical film fashion. The way the main title is slightly aligned to the left just looks a bit silly in my eyes.

That is a good idea to have the 'III' behind the 'Resident Evil' text, I might try that. On the other hand, the main title ('Resident Evil III') isn't aligned to the left really. The 'III' is supposed to be part of that title, rather than be seperate from the 'Resident Evil' if you get what I'm saying.

Ah, I think it's just the manipulation and the fact you used VG zombies that made it look like a rip from an actual RE game, and not Milla.

I know what you're saying about it not being aligned to the left, instead having the 'III' be part of the title, but it still does appear that way, and it's pretty hard to get away with it with the 'Extinction' right below it.

Even though the original zombies are in place I think it looks worlds better, you've changed the order of the Zombies, and it works much better, with the biggest being the central zombie - which makes sense.

The title also looks a lot, lot better. It looks like an actual poster would look. I'm impressed. :)

7.5/10

ALLDAWSON

-------------

Pros: Font placement and choice is perfect... looks exactly like how I'd see a movie poster's arrangement being. Graveyard looks nice, I like how the fog looks with the rest of the poster. Also, excellent logo, good job with that.

Cons: Those zombies... ugh. I don't know why, but for some reason I just don't like them. For a Resident Evil film, I'd think they'd be more apparent and all... but it's not just that, it's the quality of the pictures. I understand they're faded into the fog, but the whole thing just seems at a low quality there. Not too happy with the way the eyes up top look either, esecially considering the zombies were color-blended so they'd be blue to fit with the poster, yet the eyes weren't. I'd have liked to see the skin tone a pale blue with those red eyes still there, really. Also, the font choice for 'Extinction' leaves much to be desired.

XERO GRAVITY

-------------

Pros: Looks exactly like I'd expect a SAW poster to look like. Nice and simple-- nothing too flashy, but it gets across the movie just fine. The handprint actually blending into the face of Jigsaw is a nice touch, and the effect on it is simple and effective. I also like the way you did the quote, very nicely done.

Cons: Alot of empty space, the logo seems really small and choppy too. I don't like the font chosen for the 3 to be honest... just doesn't look too appealing when in comparison with the rest of the poster. The font choice for the names isn't that great either in my opinion.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

alldawson's was nice, however if I were to look at it in a movie theater I really wouldn't be too hyped about it. It just came off as an average work to me-- nothing too bad, nothing too good about it.

Xero Gravity's was very well done, and I'd expect the poster to look like that in the theater. He really did a good job of mimicking the feel of past SAW posters too, while keeping things clean and simple.

Xero Gravity will advance in the tournament, but it was a great effort from the both of you. Thanks for participating dawson, and congratulations Xero (Y)

I think it's fair that once both entries are in that it's judged. Otherwise it's just a case of one-upmanship. Plus you got a lot of feedback which could have been (but not necessarily) a lot of help to you. That should've been kept til after both entries have been made too.

but yeah, nice posters from both but I think Xero's was better. Although the logo and text above was a little weak.

Yeah, my policy in this tournament is that you can edit up untl deadline, but the instant both are in, I'm going to judge.

My mindset is that the first person to post their graphic has plenty of time to fix things, whereas the second will have time to look at their opposition, make the changes they need to make their own better, and then post it.

That's why as soon as I see both entries done, I judge the match

Yeah, my policy in this tournament is that you can edit up untl deadline, but the instant both are in, I'm going to judge.

My mindset is that the first person to post their graphic has plenty of time to fix things, whereas the second will have time to look at their opposition, make the changes they need to make their own better, and then post it.

That's why as soon as I see both entries done, I judge the match

It would have been nice to know that... And that surely gives the second entrant an advantage, being able to see the opponent's entry. If you ask me the way you've done it sucks, to make it ultimately fair you should have said no editing your graphic, or to PM you the entries or something.

I'm not trying to take away from XG's victory by any means, it was a very good poster.

I know it's done, and I'm not particularly well known in this part of the board, but I thought I might as well chip in since I'm here :P

I don't see any reason not to take AD's graphic seriously in a cinema, it looks fantastic in my opinion. The majority of people going to see it would be RE fans and seeing the artwork from the games being used to promote the film would make me think it'd be accurate to the games etc. I realise this is basically semantics rather than the technical aspects that you'd be judging on, but to say it doesn't work is a bit weird to me.

I agree with Norris on the red Milla opposing the blue zombies, but I think it balances out well with the red text at the bottom. The font could be better though, and I think the III is too reminiscent of the JPIII logo, but it's still a great poster.

Norris took the words out of my mouth (Fingers?) though with the comments on Xero Gravity's poster. Almost exactly what an official Saw poster would look like. The bloody handprint, the quote, the background. It's all almost perfect. The only thing that sells it short in my opinion is the fact that Saw posters usually tend to be a lot more raw, and uglier. Like the Saw 2 poster, there was jaggy sharp nails, cut fingers etc. A bloody handprint seems sort of tame in comparison, but it's still a pretty fucking good entry.

Edited by Kaneanite

AD: It doesn't give the second entrant an advantage, the only way they'd be able to see yours and use it to their advantage would be if they posted several days after you did. And during those several days, you're getting feedback from people to improve your graphic-- the only thing the second poster can do s ask for advice on messenger services, which the first person already had the option of doing.

Otherwise, they'd post theirs shortly after yours, and not really have much time to improve theirs over yours.

It balances itself out in a sense-- guy number one gets feedback before guy number two posts, guy number two gets to see how good the first one is and try to one-up it.

The "S" of SAW is cut off at the bottom :P

the logo seems really small and choppy too.

Already stated that one Hamustah, just not as specific >_>

The "S" of SAW is cut off at the bottom :P

the logo seems really small and choppy too.

Already stated that one Hamustah, just not as specific >_>

Judges ought to be specific :pervert:

Anyway good judging and well done to XG for winning and alldawson for putting Milla in an image (Y)