EAST WING: SOCKY VS LBTN™

Socky versus LBTN™

Story: A record company has been searching for freelance designers to submit their ideas for the jewel case cover to one of their top bands latest CD releases. This does not include the back or spine-- only the front. Based on the design of the front, they will pick the top designs and ask the artists to submit the full design to them for the decision.

Basic Rules: Design the front jewel case cover for an upcoming album from a band, or if you can't find any that you like, your favorite album from a band. Only the front, though... we'll take baby steps for the first round.

Restrictions: Has to include the name of the band and the name of the album somewhere. Including the logo of the recording company is optional.

Size: 550x550

Deadline: Sunday, March 26th

Socky get your work up, I don't have a bais for Reuben so you'll get a fair rating :P

Flowzen has replaced Socky for this match up. He PMed me his graphic since he might not have access to get it up, so here it is:

p2276222.jpg

Link: http://69.93.183.37/902/38/upload/p2276222.jpg

I'll get up my judgement later today.

FLOWZEN KING

-------------

Pros: The background is really nicely done, not too attention-drawing that it pulls away from where the focus should lie on the cover, but not too dormant either. Nice work making the cuts, too.

Cons: For what it is, this looks alot more like a graphic then it even comes close to looking like a jewel case cover. The cut placement could have been chosen better-- but really I think you should have made the cuts larger then what they are. Font selection is poor, font effects aren't really all that great, and seem too plain for what looks to be a very active cover. You've got empty space up top there, why not use that to have the "JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE & CHRISTINA AGUILERA" text?

LBTN™

-------------

Pros: "Reuben" font works PERFECTLY with the background you've created there. Very fitting cover with a nice design put in over it. You've got the picture of the car placed perfect on the cover, I could just picture walking down the CD isle and seeing that cover there.

Cons: The font selection for "RACECAR IS RACECAR SPELT BACKWARDS" text is poor, and doesn't work all too well with what you've made here.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

Flowzen made a nice graphic, but as a cover it really does fall short. He could have chosen alot better text placement and font effects for this, and the primary cuts really don't work all too well. Maybe he should have gone a route like centering Justin and Christina so Justin's elbow wasn't cut off by the edge, which would either make it overlap the spine or just abruptly cut off on the cover. Their names should have definitely filled that void up top if he didn't have the ability to up-size the cuts without losing the quality.

LBTN™'s made an excellent cover. While his font selection for the title of the cover wasn't that great, he picked a perfect font for the band name, and placed it at just the right spot so it worked with the background. Everything really did come off nice here, and as I said... I can really picture this working as a cover.

Thus, in the end, LBTN™ gets my vote to move on. Congrats LBTN™, and thanks for participating in this thing Flowzen... better luck next time :)