Sony PSP

Draevyn

I would say Liberty City stories is worth getting, but apparently thats being ported to the PS2. Might want to hold out for a while, since there was talk of releasing software that lets you play emulated PS1 games on it. Might not mean much since you can play them on the PS2 already, but I suppose it might make it easier to get the games? :\

Guest Future Shock

Apparently it's worth it for UMD filsm......which for the most part are cheaper than DVD's.

Liberty City Stories is an amazing game, and IIRC "sequels" are being made.

Liberty City Stories is utterly fantastic. SDVSRAW isn't really worth it if you have the PS2 version, the gameplay is worse (it's nigh-on impossible to climb the turnbuckles for some reason). I watch the odd UMD, but it's not really a viable alternative to DVDs. Sound quality is good, but if you have an mp3 player already that's not really of interest. I use mine quite a bit waiting for lectures, on the train etc. Lumines is a nifty puzzle game, some tout it as the new Tetris and Wipeout Pure is the best edition of Wipeout since 2097 in my opinion.

Guest baseballfan2k6

Jake Roberts can be Gamesharked into SVR or a completed save can be downloaded. Making him a PSP legend hurt the game because most gamers will not buy a game twice just to get an unlockable. Grand Theft Auto for PSP is going to be released on PS2, likely with enhancements to gameplay. I'd hope Sony will find developers willing to put effort into the PSP because it has lagged since launch with all the big games also being available in better PS2 versions. If they can't get PSP exclusives, it will undermine the system and cost it any chance of attracting an audience. It truly is amazing that Sony can make a machine with power roughly equal to a PS2 and still not win against a competitor that is about the same as an N64 in capabilities, yet. If they don't win the market with the PSP after the 2 years of hype they put into the thing, it will have to be considered a failure.

Critics have notoriously been attacking the PSP as of late. I'd say it could be worth getting but other than launch titles, few good games not already on console have been released. That makes it a serious concern for Sony, as if the PS3 delay fiasco wasn't bad enough of a public relations disaster already. They seem to be squandering 10+ years of built brand loyalty.

I honestly hope that this price drop is not the plan in itself for fixing the PSP's problem, but part of the solution. Sony just doesn't seem to have realized the need to make new IP for your handheld consoles, rather than porting existing ones. They don't seem to take their competition very seriously. Sony press releases for the last few years have been bordering on arrogance, as if Xbox could never beat them and Nintendo's strategy cannot work. I think Sony will reveal this game that God of War creator David Jaffe has been reported to be working on for the PSP. Hopefully it isn't a return of Twisted Metal. He'd be better off working on an entirely new idea for PSP, because it will probably help Sony fix their problems with the PSP.

Personally, I'm not sure if I'd buy a PSP right now, but it is an intriguing, but risky concept. It could be a great game system with the gaming becoming more important than movies, but it could remain a multimedia portal that also plays games. If it is a multimedia portal, some people will have more use for it than others. If you want a serious game system and it remains a port machine, then its pretty much a waste of money, but if you want a multimedia portal, it is a sure solution because Hollywood isn't going to cancel their UMD business, especially with the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD flops assured because consumers don't want another Videotape Format War and a copy protection scheme that makes these drives into crippleware.

Guest clintcasey

Jake Roberts can be Gamesharked into SVR or a completed save can be downloaded. Making him a PSP legend hurt the game because most gamers will not buy a game twice just to get an unlockable. Grand Theft Auto for PSP is going to be released on PS2, likely with enhancements to gameplay. I'd hope Sony will find developers willing to put effort into the PSP because it has lagged since launch with all the big games also being available in better PS2 versions. If they can't get PSP exclusives, it will undermine the system and cost it any chance of attracting an audience. It truly is amazing that Sony can make a machine with power roughly equal to a PS2 and still not win against a competitor that is about the same as an N64 in capabilities, yet. If they don't win the market with the PSP after the 2 years of hype they put into the thing, it will have to be considered a failure.

Critics have notoriously been attacking the PSP as of late. I'd say it could be worth getting but other than launch titles, few good games not already on console have been released. That makes it a serious concern for Sony, as if the PS3 delay fiasco wasn't bad enough of a public relations disaster already. They seem to be squandering 10+ years of built brand loyalty.

I honestly hope that this price drop is not the plan in itself for fixing the PSP's problem, but part of the solution. Sony just doesn't seem to have realized the need to make new IP for your handheld consoles, rather than porting existing ones. They don't seem to take their competition very seriously. Sony press releases for the last few years have been bordering on arrogance, as if Xbox could never beat them and Nintendo's strategy cannot work. I think Sony will reveal this game that God of War creator David Jaffe has been reported to be working on for the PSP. Hopefully it isn't a return of Twisted Metal. He'd be better off working on an entirely new idea for PSP, because it will probably help Sony fix their problems with the PSP.

Personally, I'm not sure if I'd buy a PSP right now, but it is an intriguing, but risky concept. It could be a great game system with the gaming becoming more important than movies, but it could remain a multimedia portal that also plays games. If it is a multimedia portal, some people will have more use for it than others. If you want a serious game system and it remains a port machine, then its pretty much a waste of money, but if you want a multimedia portal, it is a sure solution because Hollywood isn't going to cancel their UMD business, especially with the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD flops assured because consumers don't want another Videotape Format War and a copy protection scheme that makes these drives into crippleware.