I'm the Juggernaught Bitch!

Guest clintcasey

Guest clintcasey

X3: Juggernaut Breaks Loose

So much for mutant containment.

by Steve Head

March 28, 2006 - Magneto knows as well as anyone, to make things happen for your team, it's always a good idea to have a clean-up hitter; you know, some added muscle to get the job done. As news tends to travel quickly, and perhaps even more quickly among mutants, when the word gets out that there's a new guy on the block, a one man demolition team who can crack skulls in a major way, Magneto tells his cronies: no matter what, we will have Juggernaut.

So, how does Magneto go about bringing Juggernaut into the fold? "I won't tell you how," says director Brett Ratner, who will only offer: "Magneto picks him up along the way and he becomes part of the Magneto crew." We, on the other hand, will go a little further than that explanation.

Without venturing into spoiler territory, we can tell you one thing; one key element. It takes place early in the movie, and it involves a prison break. "It's one reason he joins," says X-Men: The Last Stand's production designer Ed Verreaux. "It's one thing that happens, but Magneto usually gets his way anyway, no matter what."

The deal is: Juggernaut, Multiple Man and, yes... even Mystique, have been captured, and the powers that be have deemed it necessary to transport them to a more advanced containment facility. To get them to their new digs, prison officials use a specially built semi-Truck, designed to keep each of these evil-doers in check. And the truck works just fine - no problemo - until Magneto learns exactly when and where it will be en-route.

What you must do now is watch the first trailer for X-Men: The Last Stand. In it you'll see a quick clip of a truck being up-ended. It's all part of the prison break, and Juggernaut and his crew are on the inside, heavily shackled. But of course, not for long.

For the movie, the filmmakers purchased a truck and re-resigned it to look like a mutant prisoner transport vehicle. "We re-designed the entire interior and some of the exterior of the trailer," Verreaux tells IGN FilmForce. "It took a long time. Weeks. What you actually see looks like steel girders, clamps and walls, but it's really all wood and Styrofoam painted gray. The good thing about the foam is it's altogether malleable, so we can quickly shape it to whatever design concept we're looking for."

Of particular note are the side doors to the vehicle, which are blown-out by Juggernaut. "It looks like it weighs a ton," says Verreaux, "but anyone can pick it up. Of course, the overall effect of the scene will be a lot different in the final movie. And Vinnie [Jones] adds a lot of presence to the character. It's pretty convincing that he destroys the place."

Juggernaut's "a fantastic character," says Ratner. And Jones "is just a great actor and a great guy to work with and be on the set with."

"Vinnie has the right personality for the character," says producer David Gorder. "He's perfect for Juggernaut. When he has that suit on that we've made for him; the whole costume and the helmet, it's incredible. It's very faithful to the comic."

Seeing Juggernaut in action will be "very eye-opening," says Gorder. He's "an unstoppable force, so you're going to see him in full action."

But smashing through the walls of Worthington labs and tossing Wolverine through a tree isn't all Juggernaut has to offer. For it isn't simply the brute force that defines the character, believes Gorder. The guy has a menacing humor. "People are going to really fall in love with Juggernaut as a bad guy, as being part of the Brotherhood."

Stay tuned to IGN FilmForce for more X-Men: The Last Stand coverage!

It's a mutant transport prison did it say? So that whole thing about Juggernaut not being a mutant...forgotten eh?

It's not like this is Marvel 616 continuity or, with all the other crap they've got stuffed in here, they've got time to really do the Juggernaut/Professor X stuff properly. And Juggernaut not having the same origin as his 616 counterpart is probably the least of my worries about this film.

I love how, in the continuities where Juggernaut is considered a mutant, his power is that he's UNSTOPPABLE! How little thought went into that?

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but there's a problem with your baby's genetics."

"Oh my God, doctor, what is it?"

"He's UNSTOPPABLE!"

Fuck off.

Edited by Skumfrog

It's a mutant transport prison did it say? So that whole thing about Juggernaut not being a mutant...forgotten eh?

It's not like this is Marvel 616 continuity or, with all the other crap they've got stuffed in here, they've got time to really do the Juggernaut/Professor X stuff properly. And Juggernaut not having the same origin as his 616 counterpart is probably the least of my worries about this film.

Fair point. But the thing is, certain things around the film(s) have ruined potentially awesome stories. For example, there's the Wolverine spin-off, and two of his biggest enemies (Sabretooth and Lady Deathstrike) appeared as throwaway characters without so much as a "hey, I know you don't I" sorta reaction from Wolverine. I don't have a problem with the film following different routes than the comics, but if they're doing a Wolverine origin story (which according to Marvel.com, it sorta is; as in set before the films and in his past) one of/both of those two could/should be major players. Ah well, I'll reserve judgment til I've seen X3 at least.

Gambit's my favourite X-Men character, and I can understand people not liking the fact that he's not in the films, but seriously, how would you put him now? They can't really do the Rogue romance, because they've already done that with Wolverine and Iceman, she'd just end up looking like a whore if they did it with Gambit too. And they can't do the "enigmatic loner" thing with him, because Wolverine's doing that too.

I'd rather no Gambit than Gambit for the sake of Gambit.

Gambit's my favourite X-Men character, and I can understand people not liking the fact that he's not in the films, but seriously, how would you put him now? They can't really do the Rogue romance, because they've already done that with Wolverine and Iceman, she'd just end up looking like a whore if they did it with Gambit too. And they can't do the "enigmatic loner" thing with him, because Wolverine's doing that too.

I'd rather no Gambit than Gambit for the sake of Gambit.

In talking about bringing Gambit into the scheme of things, someone said that it couldn't be done with the Rouge-romance thing, because Wolverine was already playing that role. I think that it could be a great aspect of the Wolverine character to introduce Gambit as a new love interest of Rouge. He could hint at jealousy and give Gambit a hard time like he does to Cyclops. Of course, they'd have to write off the Rouge-Iceman romance, somehow, but it could be done easily.

Guest Bluesman

The thing is they wouldn't have to bring Gambit in and write him as he was in the comics, but as you mentioned important avenues for his enterance (enigmatic loner, etc.) have already been taken. I have a feeling that's why they didn't put forth much effort into getting him in the film, as IIRC when the actor who was going to play him in the film backed out, they just dropped the character.

But yeah, as I said, no Gambit is better than Gambit for Gambit's sake, which is what it would be if they wrote him differently to how he is in the comics. What would be the point in that?

And for reference, who was the character in the cartoon and comics that could turn into differen't characters, but eventually turned against the X-Men?

Yeah Morph, and he was a character in the cartoon, and was only introduced in the Age Of Apocalypse universe as far as I can recall.