Major League Baseball

Toe

I used to like the Phillies. When they got Thome they should've at least gotten to the NLCS. They underachieved big time. Anyway, glad the Yanks are getting a right fielder, but where is Sheff going to fit into all this?

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in an attempt to counter the Abreu deal, the Red Sox have been talking with the Braves. According to Buster Olney:

The Red Sox and the Braves have talked about a deal that would send Andruw Jones to Boston for Coco Crisp, Craig Hansen and a prospect. But according to an executive familiar with the discussions, the Braves made a counter offer, asking for Jon Lester to be the third player.

According to ESPN, the Mets acquire RP Roberto Hernandez and SP Oliver Perez from the Pirates for OF Xavier Nady.

This trade made because Duaner Sanchez got hurt in an automobile accident, and is out indefinitely.

Edited by Magus978

I'm not sure about being good now Biggz. He went 2-10 with a ERA in the high 6's. I think he's better off staying in the minors until the rosters expand and let him get some garbage time starts, because barring a complete collapse, the Mets will not lose the division.

I do like bringing Roberto Hernandez back though. The Mets shoulda' never gotten rid of him in the first place :P

EDIT again: Todd Walker to the Padres for a minor leaguer. Padres add some more offense.

Edited by Magus978

Dodgers add Maddux and Lugo

ESPN.com news services

The Greg Maddux era in Chicago is over.

The Cubs traded their former ace to the Dodgers on Monday in exchange for Cesar Izturis, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported.

The Dodgers also acquired shortstop Julio Lugo from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in exchange for highly-touted minor league prospect Joel Guzman and fellow minor-leaguer Sergio Pedroza, Stark reported.

Lugo will play second base for a while Jeff Kent is sidelined by an oblique injury and will reassess his position when Kent returns.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2535506

Wow. Los Angeles just got a bit better there. Hopefully the Red Sox don't announce something stupid.

Edited by Lowerdeck

Guest Bosstown Boy

Saw a few Cubs games while in Chicago, no wonder why there horrible. Key mistakes at key times, bad pitching, ew.

Anyway, as far as how the Papi's, I mean the Red Sox, are doing, they definately need to find some pitching. Hopefully Wells can bounce back tonight and pitch well like I think he can, then we at least have four all-around good starters (Schilling, Beckett, Wells, Lester).

I can't wait for the five game series between the Sox and Yankees in two weeks. Rain has led us to this epic battle, lets do it Sox!

New York surges, Boston continues to play clutch, and Toronto just decides to screw the pootch. The Jays now need both the Yankees and Red Soxs to crash there team buses and injure all there players so they can crawl back into contention. Oh well, Glaus and Overbay both have been great pick-ups and hopefully AJ Burnett can recover from this nightmare year and step into the #2 job that he was brought in to fill.

New York surges, Boston continues to play clutch, and Toronto just decides to screw the pootch. The Jays now need both the Yankees and Red Soxs to crash there team buses and injure all there players so they can crawl back into contention. Oh well, Glaus and Overbay both have been great pick-ups and hopefully AJ Burnett can recover from this nightmare year and step into the #2 job that he was brought in to fill.

Your kidding me right? Burnett's always been that guy "if he actually does what he's supposed to he'll be good". I don't know what compelled the Jays to get him, besides the hope that maybe he could actually do what he's supposed to. The Jays, however, do have the potential to fill some holes and become a real competitor next year without a good Burnett.

Well, even if Burnett managed to turn his game around, we would still need to get another starter. Gustavo Chacin looked good before being hurt and Ted Lilly has been ok, but thats we need another good starter who can be relied upon to go out and be reliable.

I like our outfield, and Overbay and Glaus are good on the corners. Second base and shortstop are places we could also use upgrades, unless the team thinks Adams and Hill have improved.

Well, even if Burnett managed to turn his game around, we would still need to get another starter. Gustavo Chacin looked good before being hurt and Ted Lilly has been ok, but thats we need another good starter who can be relied upon to go out and be reliable.

I like our outfield, and Overbay and Glaus are good on the corners. Second base and shortstop are places we could also use upgrades, unless the team thinks Adams and Hill have improved.

Another pitcher would help. But keep in mind every other major league team is having the exact same pitching problems. The majors are devoid of good pitching, about 20 teams have an ace, and maybe a few have a good second starter, and then you have your hit-or-miss guys. And then of couse the numerous starters who are just plain bad. If you were able to have 3 solid starters, Halladay, a potential-filled Burnett, and someone else you'd be most people's favorites for the AL East since Boston and New York both have 2 solid starters at best.

It's just the way the game has changed, we're living in an era completely focused around offense.